Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #26 
2 studios. 4 years at a medium sized comp studio. She left for better technique and ballet training. She is in her second season at a smaller performing arts studio. She has improved dramatically and I am glad we made the change.
Marnitalane

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Two.
First studio was lots of competing teams (mostly in hip hop) with very little emphasis on training. Mostly emphasized fun, friends, and showmanship. Second studio is focused on training (ballet, technique, and all genres) with a smaller competition team. A much better use of dance dollars.
birdmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #28 
My dancer was at the same studio for 14 years. We looked into a change at one point but the tap and ballet teacher were the big draws to stay. Now I have a college dancer (dance minor and dancing in the auditioned contemporary company at the school).
emcandance

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #29 
DD is 15 and at third studio. Each move has been for better technique and higher level of competition. She will finish high school at our existing studio.
BalletMom2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #30 
DD13 has been at the same studio since she was 4.
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #31 
DD15 has been at the one for 10 years. But she has taken sessionals, full year classes, master classes, workshops and SI's at about 10-15 different studios.
I don't think anyone should feel limited to just the one studio. There are so many options and different teachers to learn from. Dd is at the best studio in town for her. The only reason I know that is because we have ventured out and tried them all in some form.
dancemom0987

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #32 
My DD's at her third studio, and as far as I can tell, she won't be switching again. We switched the first time when she was 4 or 5 because we heard that another studio closer to us had a better dance program for younger dancers. The second time DD switched was this year, and it was because she really wanted to dance more hours than she was and improve more than she could at her previous studio. We live in MN and most of DD's dance friends have been to at least 3-4 different studios.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #33 
DD15 is at studio #3.  Our experience has been like the story of the 3 bears.  1st studio not enough, held DD back, 2nd studio way to competitive and very toxic environment, 3rd studio just right.
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #34 
2, but are considering another move. DD does not have much time left, though. Left our previous studio because the training was sub par, and the environment was toxic. DD has thrived at current studio, but her needs are changing.
jamquint1

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #35 
I'm jealous reading that many of you have so many different options. We have 3 local studios and a ballet school. We're at the studio which we feel is the best fit for right now, but I feel technique is lacking. I think my dd could do more. Excellent ballet school here, but DD not interested. There are some good schools about 1 hr away, but logistically don't see how we can do it. Womp womp
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #36 
Jamquint1 perhaps she could take a class at the ballet studio to be exposed to proper technique which she could practice during classes at her current studio.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #37 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamquint1
I'm jealous reading that many of you have so many different options. We have 3 local studios and a ballet school. We're at the studio which we feel is the best fit for right now, but I feel technique is lacking. I think my dd could do more. Excellent ballet school here, but DD not interested. There are some good schools about 1 hr away, but logistically don't see how we can do it. Womp womp

Don't give up on the ballet school. If you had asked my daughter many many times along her journey if she wanted to study at a ballet exclusive school she would have turned it down over and over. Then when she began to really take ownership of what it would take to meet her goals, and when she began to identify the difference between a "ballet class" and an honest to goodness "ballet education" she wouldn't have it any other way. Just keep putting her options in front of her and make sure she knows that you support her if she changes her path.
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #38 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamquint1

It's a struggle with logistics for us. We just make it work. For DD15 who wants to be a professional ballet dancer, we can't get these training years back. If I could make it work financially I would send her to a boarding school where the atmosphere could be all about what she needs. 
jamquint1

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #39 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer
Jamquint1 perhaps she could take a class at the ballet studio to be exposed to proper technique which she could practice during classes at her current studio.
jamquint1

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #40 
I know, I know...I discussed that with SO, and she was fine with my DD going to the ballet academy, which would only be one evening a week at her level. Unfortunately, it conflicts with comp team conditioning/rehearsal/tech. SO kindly offered to work with her specifically on technique for an hour one day weekly. Super generous. I definitely see her progressing, which is great. We'll reevaluate again after this season. Also, feedback from some comp kids who have gone to the ballet school is that they were looked down upon by the ballet teachers.
jamquint1

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #41 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5678StarMom

It's a struggle with logistics for us. We just make it work. For DD15 who wants to be a professional ballet dancer, we can't get these training years back. If I could make it work financially I would send her to a boarding school where the atmosphere could be all about what she needs. 
jamquint1

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #42 
That makes sense. Your child is looking to dance professionally. My kiddo is still very young.
nyklane

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #43 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer

Totally agree. My DD just turned 8.  Last summer we first did a "SI" for Ballet at a ballet school.  She was nervous - but she did the three week program and loved it.  It was hard.  IT was sllllloooooow compared to what she was used to.  But her dance improved measurably from that program.  Couldn't believe it myself.

So this year with SO's approval we take 2 additional ballet classes at a ballet school -- and still take the Studio's ballet.  Even though it's not at a high level those additional 3 hours of ballet are continuing to show their benefits in her regular classes - and for her solo.  

Does she like it?  Hmm, not all of the time.   They make her do homework (lol). But she knows that those hours are helping her.  She's moved up a level at her studio ballet, which is fast paced, and she knows she only got there because of her work outside the studio.

We made it work.  I drive crazy on some days.  We didn't choose the program I wanted because it conflicted with some required studio classes, we found a school that worked and times that worked.  The benefits though have been very good!
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #44 
3. The first was because we moved hours away so I don't normally count it. We were only there for a year. The last one we left for many reason, mainly how unprofessional the staff was.
DanceTumbleCheerMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #45 
2, but we are currently looking for #3   we left the first one due to a 3000 mile move,  2nd one because DD is missing the competitive world. 
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #46 
DD15 is on her 3rd and final

1 - left because they were holding her back.  She started dance older and was rightfully so put in lower level classes with younger kids.  Because she was older, she picked up faster and quickly surpassed them.  SO wouldn't move her up.

2 - studio became very toxic - think Abby Lee Miller.  DD lost her love of dance.

3 - after a year off of dance, during a musical production, DD met an awesome teacher who said "come to the studio I teach at"  Studio is perfect for DD.  Excellent technique training.  Super small so DD gets the one on one training she prefers.  Positive environment with the positive reinforcement that DD thrives on.
aking9957

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #47 
7 different studios. We had one that folded, so we became independent. Tried other studios, heard the same thing. All the kids are so nice and friendly and they usually are the first day or so. Then it al changes.

So we changed it up, and just go for the classes without even thinking of joining the team. We go to some and they approach right away but we tell them we are happy being independent. There are many good studios every where so you can go in for drop in classes and get some of the best training if that's the way you want to go.

The best part is you do not need to stay or pay for a bunch of dances and costumes, the con is you are now the studio and have to find competitions that accepts independents, order the costume make all arrangements and hire choreographers.

There are more competitions that do not accept independents and front meeting the directors and judge's of the competitions, independents are judged harder.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.