Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
dmjrm4

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Just wondering if the number of dances my DD has is similar to others on dancemom.com this year?  Adding up solos, duets, trios and groups how many competition dances will your dancer have this season? How does that compare to last year?

DD this year: 13
DD last year: 6
MimisMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
DD this year : 8
DD last year : 3
sarahannexo

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
  • 1 Solo
  • 2 Small Groups
  • 3 Large Groups
Cupcake

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #4 
DD this year: 4
DD last year: 4
threedancingdaughters

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
This year: 5
Last year: 4
jackilvsmath

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
DD last year: 13
DD this year: 12 - but duets/trios haven’t been decided yet.
Ca2Ny2Mo

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Last year 9 (1solo and 1 Trio)
This year 10 (2 Solo 1 duet 1 trio)
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
11 last year and 11 this year most likely for older
4 last year and 5 this year for younger
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Last year: DD 15 had 11 dances. 1 Production, 4 large groups, 4 small groups, a solo and a duet. 
This year new studio: 6 dances: 1 large group, 2 small groups, 1 duet, 2 solos

DD 12 last year had 7 dances: 1 production, 3 large groups, 2 small groups, and 1 trio. 
This year, she has 5: 1 large group, 3 small groups, and a solo. 

This year is way more manageable. Less can actually be more!
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Adding more dances reaches a point of diminishing returns very quickly for me, so we only accept the best dances and keep the numbers low.

This year 4 (3 groups, one solo) 
Last year 3 (2 groups, one solo)

Not to hijack the thread, but if anyone wants to share their reasons for doing 8+ dances, I am curious to hear about the advantages that come from competing in a large number of dances. 

momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
11  year old
This year: 9
Last year: 8

7 year old
This year: 2
Last year: 1

Quote:
Not to hijack the thread, but if anyone wants to share their reasons for doing 8+ dances, I am curious to hear about the advantages that come from competing in a large number of dances. 

My daughter's numbers include her solo. But most of her routines are on the elite team and their requirement is that she does 2 jazz and 2 lyrical. The idea behind it is the more you dance and the more you get onstage the better you become. Technique class requirements are also more when on the elite team so it's not just a lot more choreo and rehearsals. She's in tap, hip hop, and ballet routines too which drives the number higher. She also made the production group this year, that's not something everyone in our studio makes and it's for elite team only. 
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer
Adding more dances reaches a point of diminishing returns very quickly for me, so we only accept the best dances and keep the numbers low.

I am curious, too. When is there time for actual technique classes?

This year: 6 ( 1 lg group, 1 sm group, 1 trio (was supposed to be a small group, but a few dropped out), 1 duo, and 2 solos (at only one comp will she be doing both solos, though).

Last year: 5 ( 3 sm groups, 2 solos (again, at only one comp did she do both solos).
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phx115
I am curious, too. When is there time for actual technique classes?

Our elite team meets on a rotating schedule for large blocks of time. Technique classes are Monday-Thursday. Some teams will meet after technique classes but the bulk of rehearsals occur on Friday nights and Saturday morning/afternoon. 
jackilvsmath

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Good Morning,
   I responded above with my DD's numbers

Last year:  13
This year:  12 (but duets and trios are not started yet)

In answering the question about why so many --- no real answer.  We indicate at the beginning of the year how many groups we are willing and able to have our dancer in and we tell the SO to put her in whatever.   We have our classes (for technique) Mon-Thurs and comp rehearsal all day Saturday. Sometimes they rehearse during classes but that is not a regular thing.   Yes, it does cost much more to do so many but we discussed it as a family and with budgeting we can do it.  I have picked up some extra work in a few arenas to help with the budgeting.  As long as DD (11) is still working hard and wanting to do so many, we are fine with that many.  If she ever gets to a point where she isn't working hard and not enjoying it, we will re-evaluate.   

Personally, I like her doing a lot of dances.  It keeps up busy during competition weekends and we aren't just sitting and doing nothing while at the competition. 

lovemykids

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Just curious: competition fees must be close to the thousands of dollars per competition with over 10 dances! Especially with multiple solos and duos/trios. How many competitions do you do a year? And how can you afford it?! I must be in the wrong business for sure [rofl]
To answer the question last year she had 4, this year she has 6 and I find it steep!
LilMama

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Last year was 4 groups and 1 solo. Groups are mandatory, so most of the kids on our team have at least 4 plus an extra S/D/T. The few kids that are good at acro will do another small group. We haven't receive offers for this year yet but I assume numbers won't change much.
mookiel

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
7 last year
8 this year - solo, trio and 6 groups
Momof3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by momcrew

Our elite team meets on a rotating schedule for large blocks of time. Technique classes are Monday-Thursday. Some teams will meet after technique classes but the bulk of rehearsals occur on Friday nights and Saturday morning/afternoon. 

This is similar to the model used by my studio. Technique classes most of the week, all rehearsals crammed into one weeknight and a weekend day. We have a huge range at our studio, with some kinds in 18-ish dances and some in just 2 or 3. My girls fall in the middle of that.
elastigal

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Last year: 3 (all groups)

This year: 6 (4 groups, 1 production, 1 solo)

Busy enough for us, some of her teammates have 10-11 comp dances.

We go to 5 comps and my comp fees are almost $1500. I know some parents whose comp fees are almost $2400!
jamquint1

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Looks like I'm in the minority here, with my dd and ds doing just two. However, my kids are young- ages 7 and 8. Both of them are doing a solo (at our studio anyone who wants to do a solo can) and a small group.  Until age 9ish, that is typical at our studio. After that, a solo, 2 small groups, and maybe a large group. However, they learn other routines that are just for recital and exposition team as well. 
Mama2aHappyDancer

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Last year - 4
this year- 4

My dancer is 8. I think this is a good number for her for now. She gets plenty of practice time and stage time, but not so much that it is overwhelming. Plus, paying for 10 plus costumes and that many registration fees at comps would be difficult.

She also has three additional recital dances.
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #22 
DD7
Last year - 3 (2 small groups, one production)
This year - 4 (1 small group, one large group, one trio, one production)

DD15
Last year - 6 (8 if you include YAGP classical solos that we didn't take anywhere else...1 contemporary solo, 4 small groups, 1 production)
This year - 3 (all solos for YAGP, no longer participating in a comp team)

6 per competition will probably be our limit for our younger daughter, similar to her sister. We will add no more than 1 per year. Plan is to let her have a solo (will be acro jazz) next year if she still wants to be on team.
Eliwel

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #23 
DD9
7 last yr (1 solo, 1 trio, groups)
8 this yr (1 solo, 1 production, groups)

This yr we are at a new studio. Not all dances will go to every competition so our comp fees will be significantly less this year.
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #24 
My daughter did one competition at age 6 in 2010 and switched to a ballet school. This year she's competing again as her ballet school attends both traditional competitions as well as YAGP. 

1 classical ballet variation
1 contemporary solo
1 small group (contemporary)
1 large group (contemporary)

NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer

We really don't get much of a choice. My older daughter (12) has 2 solos, 2 D/T, and the rest are groups placed by the director. The only choice we really have is the number, but she always ends up putting her in more than what we ok anyway. She is a versatile dancer with strong technique and a great performer so she ends up using her in most, if not all, of the groups. We have never specifically asked for anything dance routine wise- we get recommendations and can approve the number or say less, but what she keeps you in or takes you out of is entirely her decision. 

The way I see it is once we are at the competitions its a full weekend and full speed anyway so if she can handle it, then it really doesn't make much difference to me. 

Every dance she is in is a growth experience for her for various reasons: be it partnering with a boy, branching into a new or different genre to perform for her, different groups, working with the graduating seniors or leading with the juniors... 

All of choreography is done separate from technique classes either in set time slots weekly or every other week or extra rehearsals. They have a fluid Saturday afternoon schedule that adjusts for now on what needs work group wise, and utilize school holidays for choreography. She has a solid minimum of 13 hours of technique a week (maybe more, I don't have the schedule memorized.) 

I don't know if this helps anyone asking why more, but at least it is a start. 

EDITED TO ADD: 
My 8 year old has 1 solo and 4 groups this year, 2 groups with her team, 1 with some older and younger kids and one production. 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.