Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Wow what a crazy commute studio 3 was! Out of curiosity, how old was your daughter when she made that commute by herself?

I know this question was specifically to tendumom but..... my own dd had a crazy commute on her own at 14.  When she left the comp studio for the ballet school.  Sixty minutes on the train, a 10 minute walk to the bus stop, 15-30 minutes waiting for the bus, a 10 minute bus ride, & finally another 5 - 10 minutes to walk to the studio.  Five days a week (we drove her in on Saturdays).  People told me I was off my rocker when the plan was being put in place but... she handled it all very well.  So much in the way of personal growth from that independence.  And now, living on her in an apt part-time, at 17?  In some ways, all this crazy & all this sacrifice has had some real unexpected benefits.  Benefits that have gone well beyond just the dance.
dance010

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom

She didn't start doing that commute daily until she was 17. She was essentially done with high school by then as she had met the requirements by the end of her junior year. She was already comfortable going into NYC by herself for open classes and other activities long before that. She was probably 13 or 14 when she started getting around Manhattan by herself. 

Wow what a super cool world that is NYC! Im sure that taught her a lot of great life lessons there
mookiel

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #28 
45 minutes each way. We need to drive that far to get the kind of training we were looking for. SO worth it for us! 
dmjrm4

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiel
45 minutes each way. We need to drive that far to get the kind of training we were looking for. SO worth it for us! 

Ditto.  Six days a week.
purplerain

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #30 
30- 45 minutes.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #31 
45 minutes each way without traffic, 90 minutes with traffic.  This is 5 days a week and then on Sundays she goes right from our church for a private; that is about 25 minutes away.  My other daughter who goes to a comp studio travels about 20-30 minutes each way but it's only 3 times a week.
MimisMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #32 
20 min
nyklane

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave9988

Yup, we've got some crazy lacrosse around here.  One local *public* school supposedly starting construction on a dedicated box lacrosse facility.

Box Lacrosse!  Yes, it's the season right now.  I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you might be in Upstate NY?  Second guess would be near Philly...

All of the dedicated Box Lacrosse arenas we've been at have been in Native American territories with the facilities names I can't pronounce or spell.  The last one I was at was "Tsha' Hon'nonyen'dakhwa' "   
threedancingdaughters

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #34 
Our drive is usually about 7-10 minutes, depending on if I hit both red lights on the way there. Maybe more if it's really snowy. It's only a few miles and I take some back roads to avoid the lights on the main highway. We have 4 studios within in about 20 minutes of us. One is even closer, but I love our current studio
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #35 
6 minutes with no traffic, 10 if I hit all the lights. It's about 2 miles from our house.
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #36 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyklane

Box Lacrosse!  Yes, it's the season right now.  I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you might be in Upstate NY?  Second guess would be near Philly...

All of the dedicated Box Lacrosse arenas we've been at have been in Native American territories with the facilities names I can't pronounce or spell.  The last one I was at was "Tsha' Hon'nonyen'dakhwa' "   

We have lacrosse here, was trying to figure out what 'box lacrosse' was. Pretty sure it's just indoor lacrosse? I would never have imagined playing lacrosse outside! Normally here its played in hockey arenes during the spring/summer when the ice gets drained.
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #37 
Dds studio is 6 mins with no traffic and up to 20 during rush hour. (Barely ever do we get her at that time)
All the studios in town are about the same. Some kids travel in from out of town. The one family travels 50 mins to an hour and fifteen depending on weather. There are no options closer for them. And a few lived 30 mins away.
sarahannexo

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #38 
Maybe ten minutes each way. We are very fortunate to be so close.
angelashunter

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #39 
10 minutes
stpierremom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #40 
Current studio is 3.5 miles away, so between 8 and 15 minutes' drive, depending on traffic.  We live in a dense metro area with dozens of studios within a 30 minute drive.  While it is a great advantage having so many options, it can be challenging to figure out which one best fits your dancer's needs.

nyklane

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #41 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel2228

We have lacrosse here, was trying to figure out what 'box lacrosse' was. Pretty sure it's just indoor lacrosse? I would never have imagined playing lacrosse outside! Normally here its played in hockey arenes during the spring/summer when the ice gets drained.

A little different. Indoor is just that. In bubbles or arenas and they play “outdoor” style albeit with fewer players. Box lacrosse has different rules - more like basketball 5 field players that play up and down (no fixed positions like in outdoor). Also the ball is in play if it hits a wall or other object. Also you can slam players against the wall ( I don’t like this one ).

[wink]
Momof3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #42 
15-20 minutes, depending on the traffic lights. We have people at our studio that travel an hour, though I don't think I could do it!
Jinkerbelle

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #43 
Less than a mile away. It is so close which is a huge bonus for us! I dunno if we could swing it any other way honestly.
funkychika03

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #44 
We switched studios over the summer and I had a few superb options. One option was going to be a ~30-45 minute drive during rush hour, the other option was ~5-8 minutes during rush hour.

I picked the closer studio. Not just because of that of course, but I am SO thankful I do not have to drive 30-45 minutes back and forth 3-4x a week.  

Dancinandlovinit

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #45 
Literally less than a minute if nothing gets in my way (but something always does, like other cars [wink], so 2-3 minutes). I can see the building from my upstairs windows, although we drive instead of walk because it's across a very busy street with no crosswalk.

We moved to this studio from a far away one the week it opened, because it was so close and so convenient. Dd was 3. We stayed because she's been very happy there and has thrived. It's now 15 years later and she's a graduating senior. 

Only one other family is closer than me...they live in my tract but one street over.
Tina07Fl

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #46 
2 minutes to dance BUT 60 minutes one way to tennis practice for my son. I've been driving that hour 3 - 4 times a week for almost 6 years. I'm blessed to have a flexible work-at-home schedule so I can make it work. Still, it's... a commitment. We now own 2 hybrids. Ha ha. But seriously, sometimes the drive isn't too bad (it can be relaxing in a weird way), sometimes it consists of quality conversations I think we wouldn't otherwise have, sometimes it's just annoying/aggravating. There's definitely lots of eating, homework and napping on his part, and lots of phone conversations for me. While I'm waiting, I bring my computer and work at the local Panera, bring a cooler and do some grocery shopping, get my nails done, or run some other errands. It's hard sometimes but not horrible. I try to embrace the forced me time. I def think it's worth it because it's what my child loves, and is willing to work so darn hard for. On the rough days I remember it won't be forever and it honestly is the best training in the area. If there were closer options with the same high level training and same quality coaches, we'd switch. We're not crazy... hahaha Good luck!  
TinyDancerNJMom

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #47 
only 15-20 mins to dance thankfully but I work an hour from home and DD's school so that is the hardest part.  I leave work by 3:30 (teacher) and get her from aftercare around 4:30, she eats in the car, does homework and gets changed for dance in aftercare and I can usually get her to class the mandatory 15 mins early (per DD) for classes that start at 5:30/6/6:30 but if there is bad traffic or she had extra homework or club meeting or anything that makes her not her not ready it is a huge struggle to get her there on time.  I was dreading her getting moved up to the 'big girl' classes because they end so late at night but it is MUCH easier to get her to the company class that starts at 6:30 than her regular ballet classes.  Last year we had one of the 'big girls' who I paid once a month to pick her up, get her dinner and take her to class when I had monthly staff meetings.  Now all of the 'big girls' we know don't drive yet or don't live in our town so I can't do that anymore.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #48 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyklane

Whoops, sorry I didn't see this sooner!

I'm maybe 30 minutes from Candandaigua, 10 from Irondequoit.  And of course, growing up about an hour from here involved frequent rides on the Scajaquada.

dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #49 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel2228
We have lacrosse here, was trying to figure out what 'box lacrosse' was. Pretty sure it's just indoor lacrosse? I would never have imagined playing lacrosse outside! Normally here its played in hockey arenas during the spring/summer when the ice gets drained.

Yes, as NYKLANE pointed out it's indoor lacrosse, and tends to be a little more violent because (among other things) you can body check players into the walls.

The close confines & smaller playing surface also put a premium on stick handling skills and quick ball movement.  Outdoor players can use it in the off season to improve their game.

The MILL (pro indoor league) is loud (music during play), fast, and violent ... skirmishes are more common than in hockey.
Desertdweller

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #50 
Almost an hour since we live in a rural area. It is hard, especially during rehearsal and privates and with a baby in tow. I may lose my sanity eventually.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.