Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
lovemykids

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Another thread about summer dance got me thinking. I believe with dance, like all sports, they can't be out for too long without doing anything because they get our of shape. So those with older dancers, how long do you feel is too long for a summer break that it won't get them too "rusty"
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #2 
My daughter wouldn't want to be away from class for more than 2 wks. And even with that, she'd be doing things on her own (conditioning, stretching, a ballet barre) at least every other day. She's 17 though.
lovemykids

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
My daughter is 10 and she will be completely off for 3 weeks this summer, then another week with a couple of privates. I'm a little scare she may get too "rusty" but also this is the time to experience different things so that's how it's gonna be. Just wondering if it will take her long to get back in shape after such a long break

tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I don't think dd took more than 2 weeks off after she started pointe at age 11. Before that, she would do other types of camps in the summer in addition to some dance in the summers. From about ages 5-11, she did maybe 3-4 weeks of dance camp and/or junior intensive in the summer. Once she was 12, it was always 6 or more weeks of usually ballet based summer intensive programs supplemented with open classes a few days each week on the off weeks. Not sure that she ever took off more than 2 weeks. She gets nuts if she has more than a week off! 
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykids
My daughter is 10 and she will be completely off for 3 weeks this summer, then another week with a couple of privates. I'm a little scare she may get too "rusty" but also this is the time to experience different things so that's how it's gonna be. Just wondering if it will take her long to get back in shape after such a long break

At 10 she took the whole summer off from dance.  Can't say that the break had any real impact, to be honest.  Not at that age.  But then she was taking the slow boil approach so no big skills to maintain.  She didn't start doing summer dance classes until 11 but nothing that took up much of her time until 12 (open classes, studio intensive, summer convention). Things didn't "really" start to ramp up until 13. 
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Any longer than 2 weeks makes for a hard re-entry.
dancingymnast

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 

So, what do you do if your studio doesn't offer any classes during the summer? 
We have "summer" classes that run through the end of June, and one week in August. That's it until September.
Do you look at other studios? Is that acceptable?

heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingymnast

So, what do you do if your studio doesn't offer any classes during the summer? 
We have "summer" classes that run through the end of June, and one week in August. That's it until September.
Do you look at other studios? Is that acceptable?

My daughter has been the Queen of Open Classes since she was 12. Some years she'd be bouncing between 4 different studios over the course of a summer.  I actually considered it very important... to see what else was out there.  To contrast and compare.  I never asked for permission but wouldn't have lied about it if questioned directly.
DanceTumbleCheerMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
when we were out west we did not take summers off.  since we have been here in PA we do, and I don't really notice a difference.   DD12 will practice on her own and stretch.   She also spends more time in the gym working on her core and will be busy with summer theater and a couple of church and other camps.  
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #10 
When DS was about 7 he started dancing summers but it was usually just 2 classes/week to keep him active and then a week long summer dance camp.  At about 10 he ramped up to a full schedule during the summer of about 12 hours/week.  He still have days and weekends free to be a kid and he loved going to class.
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Up to a certain age, don't many of the three-letter "name" ballet schools, discourage summer classes? Or, maybe that was a different era and/or parents/dancers ignored it and sought out classes elsewhere?
lovemykids

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I just feel that they need some sort of "maintenance" even on their own. Like athletes need to at least go running daily and work out a little, even if they don't train in their specific sport, so at least to not get too out of shape. I feel like dancers is the same. They would need to stretch a little, and practice some basic skills even a few minutes a day, or every other day. However when going to sleepaway camp for 3 weeks -like my daughter's case this year- it will be really hard to do any of that. She will have plenty of physical activity but not dance related. I just hope she can be responsible enough to get a couple minutes for stretches at least... I guess that will be a test of her dedication...lol. But she is still so young and I think sleepaway camp is a wonderful opportunity that I think is a better gain than the 2 weeks of SI (or dance camp is more accurate) that she will be missing. She will have done 3 weeks of SI and also a week long Nationals so she'll get plenty of training right before shutting it off for 3 weeks. I hope the coming back to it won't be so rough. But from many comments I feel that it probably will... let's see, I'll let you know in August!
jazzminesun81

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
A lot of kids take the whole summer off, but that's a relative term. At the dance studio, recital is 1st weekend after Independence Day so even for the rec dancers we're talking about 8 weeks. Some studios end the term in June so we're talking 12 weeks. Team dancers are required to do 2 weeks intensive (at our studio or an approved outside SI), 2 weekly classes, or 1 week of intensive and 1 weekly class, but this is to ease re-entry in the fall (studio's SI is right before choreo week). If you do the studio SI, you'd have a break of 4 weeks. IMO, it's no different than Summer Bridge activities, except one is for the mind and one is for the body. Neither are absolutely necessary per se, but it can make things easier come fall. Even so, conditioning is still key. Agree with lovemykids that dancers, like athletes, need to do maintenance on their own.

Since SI's are expensive vs weekly classes and DD goes nuts if she goes too long without a dance class, we've always done weekly classes so she ends up with max of 2 weeks at a time off for dance. This year, however, she'll be doing a weeklong cirque intensive.
dancemonkey

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
I don't think we started any intensives till about 12. When we were doing summer dance there really wasn't anything available for 12 and under. I think it's easier to find opportunities these days through summer conventions for younger ages. That being said if your studio doesn't offer a camp or intensive or classes during the summer try something at a different studio. We always did a well regarded dance intensive not at our studio. It's always great to get experience with different teachers and genres.
Taffygirl

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #15 
DD's studio has a very short break between end of regional comps and summer dance, but this wasn't always the case. Until about 5 years ago optional classes were offered during the summer. This wasn't enough for DD and some others on her team. She asked me to find other places for her to study, so I did. She would go to classes and intensives at other studios to supplement. Studio owner now has required classes throughout the summer (for comp teams) culminating in intensives, with a short break before school starts. For a long time this was great. DD still loves to dance and wants to prepare for Nationals, but would like to dance a little less over the summer. She works and wants to hang out with her friends. For her, summer dance at 17 is much different than 11-15, but every child is different.
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #16 
It depends on the child. If they are still active during the summer, 1. They probably are practicing dance at home throughout the summer 2. They aren't going to loose the muscle mass in a couple months if they are still moving daily.

If they really take the summer off and lay around all day there will be regression. We go up to a month without class.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: