Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
It sounded like from previous posts that several of our dancers were auditioning for various Nutcrackers. Who has decided to actually do Nutcracker? What parts will they be dancing? Have rehearsals started yet? I love Nutcracker time. The holidays just wouldn't seem complete without it.

DD will be doing Nutcracker at her studio. Auditions were last weekend, and we found out her parts two days ago. She will be sharing the role of Mouse Queen. They are doing two shows, so each dancer will perform the part once. She also got lead Arabian and Merliton. She is excited about Mouse Queen. It's a super fun role that she always hoped she would get to perform one day. Merliton is a duet, and the other girl is a good friend of hers, so she's happy about that too. She is excited, but nervous about lead Arabian. It is a pas de deux. The girl that danced the part last year is super flexible, and the choreography really showed off her flexibility. DD isn't inflexible, but she's not to the extreme of the other girl, so she's a little worried. I'm sure her teacher will tweak the choreography if needed to make sure dd looks good on stage.

I'm really curious to see how this Nutcracker comes together. DD recently switched studios. She was at her previous studio for 11 years and performed in 10 Nutcrackers. The studio was originally a ballet studio with a couple of comp teams, but evolved over the years to be more of a comp studio with a strong ballet program. That studio had amazing costumes and backdrops. The studio she is at now has never done a Nutcracker, so they have nothing. It is a comp studio that just added a ballet conservatory. DD's ballet teacher from her old studio is heading up the ballet conservatory. Lots of the ballet students from the old studio followed him over to this studio, so there are several strong ballet dancers, as well as many dancers with limited ballet training. They have no costumes, props, backdrops, etc. They will be trying to get everything as affordably as possible with the hopes of upgrading down the road. DD doesn't care about any of that. She just loves to perform.
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Congrats to your dd! I'm sure she will have a great time! 

We don't have auditions until next Saturday. We are at a ballet studio associated with a non-profit pre-professional company and we bring in professionals for the major roles. It's always a beautiful show. I know dd12 is anxious to find out if she is looking at another year of kid roles or if this is the year she gets to perform in a corps roles like snow, which she is dying to do. She is a corps member of the pre-pro company, but they will still give the parts to whoever looks best at the audition, corps or not. Since she's the youngest, there's a good chance someone from outside who is older/taller/better/whatever could come in, which would be a bummer but that's life.

heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #3 
My dd started rehearsals for one Nut today.  Looooong day... 10:30 -5:30.  And although we know she's in, we're still waiting to hear specifics from the other one to see if we can swing both.  Regardless, it's going to be a very busy season.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Still waiting on casting decisions.  A little later than normal this year.  Hopefully Monday will bring some news.
Becca

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Still waiting on call lists to post. Final casting is going to take awhile. My DD felt the audition went well but like with everything in ballet part of it is talent and part is the look (height, costume fit, etc) for the role. Fingers crossed. She wants to be cast so badly.
lilyzdancemom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Lily has been practicing every Sat. since the end of Aug. She is Mirliton demi soloist, Flower and Snowflake. This is her first year not being in the party scene and I'll miss it.[frown] She's too tall now.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I was supposed to hear today what role DD12 has in Moscow Ballet but I haven't heard yet.  He is seeing her tomorrow at 2 so maybe he'll just tell me in person.

heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle
I was supposed to hear today what role DD12 has in Moscow Ballet but I haven't heard yet.  He is seeing her tomorrow at 2 so maybe he'll just tell me in person.

When did your dd audition for Moscow, joriebelle?  Wasn't it just a few days ago that you said she wasn't doing a Nut, choosing instead to focus on YAGP.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Yep Heidi, that's what we decided.  And then the director of a studio close by called me and asked if she wanted to participate in either his production of Nut or Moscow Ballet on December 4th and she decided she wanted to do Moscow Ballet.  The studio is only 8 minutes from my house and he said he could see her on Mondays at 2 which wouldn't interfere with her classes so we decided to do it.  I kinda was hoping she'd decide against it but at the beginning of the summer she was dying to do Nutcracker and the logistics of this works out pretty good.  He said there may be a few Saturday or Sunday rehearsals as it gets closer but that's about it, and it will be over December 4th.  
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Yep Heidi, that's what we decided.  And then the director of a studio close by called me and asked if she wanted to participate in either his production of Nut or Moscow Ballet on December 4th and she decided she wanted to do Moscow Ballet.  The studio is only 8 minutes from my house and he said he could see her on Mondays at 2 which wouldn't interfere with her classes so we decided to do it.  I kinda was hoping she'd decide against it but at the beginning of the summer she was dying to do Nutcracker and the logistics of this works out pretty good.  He said there may be a few Saturday or Sunday rehearsals as it gets closer but that's about it, and it will be over December 4th.  

So she didn't actually audition with the rest of the kids?  Did he not have enough show up to fill out the roles?  At dd's school's audition they didn't have quite enough so they just reduced the number of dancers in each part.. .so for example instead of having 4 dancers doing Chinese (two on each side), they're only having two (one on each side).  

And what role is she dancing? if you don't mind me asking.  I know you spoke about maybe being offered a solo earlier but Moscow doesn't offer solos to young dancers.  Actually they don't offer solos to any dancers.  Dancers are more like extras who dance in the background/on the side while Moscow's dancers dance the main parts up front.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
No she didn't audition.  Her friend auditioned and then her friend's mother gave him my phone number.  I think he was impressed with her friend so took the mom's word for it about DD; not sure.  No, no solo for Moscow Ballet.  It would have been a solo for his own studio's production.  He mentioned either DD and her friend doing a duet or her friend and her friend's sister and her doing a trio.  I think he was in a hurry to get the final casting out because when he talked to me last week he said he wanted everything finalized by the end of the week.  He also told me he would send out the casting Sunday but it's 7:22 pm and nothing has come into my email yet.  She's supposed to see him tomorrow so I imagine I'll know more then.  I don't know too much about the studio; it's a new studio and he is the new director.  It's not very big so that is probably why he is taking outside dancers.  I mean, DD's friend is Clara which totally shocked me because I figured you'd have someone from your own studio in mind for that part!

I had heard that Moscow's dancers do the main jobs and other dancers got the extra parts which is why DD12 had changed her mind last minute and didn't do that audition several weeks ago.  I didn't know "good" parts were even available.  Maybe he's pulling my leg.  I'm dying to know now.  I'll fill ya'll in tomorrow. 

Does your DD like doing Nut?
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
No she didn't audition.  Her friend auditioned and then her friend's mother gave him my phone number.  I think he was impressed with her friend so took the mom's word for it about DD; not sure.  No, no solo for Moscow Ballet.  It would have been a solo for his own studio's production.  He mentioned either DD and her friend doing a duet or her friend and her friend's sister and her doing a trio.  I think he was in a hurry to get the final casting out because when he talked to me last week he said he wanted everything finalized by the end of the week.  He also told me he would send out the casting Sunday but it's 7:22 pm and nothing has come into my email yet.  She's supposed to see him tomorrow so I imagine I'll know more then.  I don't know too much about the studio; it's a new studio and he is the new director.  It's not very big so that is probably why he is taking outside dancers.  I mean, DD's friend is Clara which totally shocked me because I figured you'd have someone from your own studio in mind for that part!

I had heard that Moscow's dancers do the main jobs and other dancers got the extra parts which is why DD12 had changed her mind last minute and didn't do that audition several weeks ago.  I didn't know "good" parts were even available.  Maybe he's pulling my leg.  I'm dying to know now.  I'll fill ya'll in tomorrow. 

Does your DD like doing Nut?

For the most part, from everything I've read and heard (and I've read/heard a great deal during my own research when my dd was considering the opportunity) when it comes to this kind of stuff Moscow is Moscow is Moscow.  It's a cookie cutter recipe.  Russian company comes to America to tour and provides local ballet students the special opportunity to perform as "extras".  Whether people feel the show meets their standards or not, it's still a "professional" production not a student production.  So, no, "special" parts are not available for Suzie and Jimmy.  Unless you're talking Clara.  But.. at dd's studio.. Clara is being played by a 20 yr old girl.

And Joriebelle, I swear I'm not accusing you of anything but... this isn't making a lot of sense. The Moscow audition in your area was last weekend not "several weeks ago".  And they had 2 of them scheduled, in fact.  How could it be that ths AD had to rely on the recommendation of some random dancer & her mom to cast a role in such a major production when he'd already seen 2 days worth of dancers last weekend?  

eta: and just to clarify... I only looked up the particulars because this didn't make sense to me and things just HAVE to make sense to me.  It's like a disease.  LOL
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Oh and.. in answer to your question.  My dd loves Nut.  She did them for 6 yrs with her comp studio whose SO was a ballet dancer through college.  It was quite a nice production and dd loved doing it every year.  Then she switched to a very very small ballet school that didn't have enough students to put on a full production so they would just do excerpts. She's really excited about the opportunity to get into it this year.  It's going to be crazy!
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

For the most part, from everything I've read and heard (and I've read/heard a great deal during my own research when my dd was considering the opportunity) Moscow is Moscow is Moscow.  It's a cookie cutter recipe.  Has to be to accomplish what they accomplish.  So, no, "special" parts are not available.  Unless they were looking to offer her Clara.  But...& I swear I'm not accusing you of anything but... this isn't making a lot of sense. The Moscow audition in your area was last weekend not "several weeks ago".  And they had 2 of them scheduled, in fact.  How could it be that ths AD had to rely on the recommendation of some random dancer & her mom to cast a role in such a major production when he'd already seen 2 days worth of dancers last weekend?  

eta: and just to clarify... I only looked because this didn't make sense to me and things just HAVE to make sense to me.  It's like a disease.  LOL

They actually had another audtion in Plainfield in August, and I just missed it so we were going to go to one farther away, which was one of the reasons I was hoping she'd decide against doing it.  Maybe that is why the director had a second audition here in Plainfield, because he didn't get enough people for it the first time.  I have no idea.  I already sent this link to you before but you can see that there was an audition in Plainfield on August 21 which WAS several weeks ago.   As to why he relied on her mom's friend's recommendation I have no idea except maybe he is having a hard time getting dancers for this production and maybe he knows DD's friend's mom better than I thought.  Which wouldn't surprise me one bit.   Another thing is that I did not know that there was such a huge fee to be in Moscow Nutcracker - after I said DD12 would do it and my husband brought the forms over the director called me and told me there is a $250 fee.  Is this normal?!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/bolingbrook-plainfield/community/chi-ugc-article-plainfield-dance-school-to-host-auditions-for-2015-08-09-story.html
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:

eta: and just to clarify... I only looked because this didn't make sense to me and things just HAVE to make sense to me.  It's like a disease.  LOL

P.S.  Sometimes I like it that you research stuff so much because you get me to thinking of things I had never thought of before.  Now you have me scratching my head about this whole thing and I have a bunch of questions for him tomorrow.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:

They actually had another audtion in Plainfield in August, and I just missed it so we were going to go to one farther away, which was one of the reasons I was hoping she'd decide against doing it.  Maybe that is why the director had a second audition here in Plainfield, because he didn't get enough people for it the first time.  I have no idea.  I already sent this link to you before but you can see that there was an audition in Plainfield on August 21 which WAS several weeks ago.   As to why he relied on her mom's friend's recommendation I have no idea except maybe he is having a hard time getting dancers for this production and maybe he knows DD's friend's mom better than I thought.  Which wouldn't surprise me one bit.   Another thing is that I did not know that there was such a huge fee to be in Moscow Nutcracker - after I said DD12 would do it and my husband brought the forms over the director called me and told me there is a $250 fee.  Is this normal?!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/bolingbrook-plainfield/community/chi-ugc-article-plainfield-dance-school-to-host-auditions-for-2015-08-09-story.html

I don't know what's normal and what's not anymore. LOL  Like I said, I'm not actually accusing you of anything... really I'm not.  I'm just trying to understand how it can all be true.   So many of your stories are soooo gosh darn convoluted. Seems like almost all of them, in fact.  You really shouldn't be surprised that people end up having some doubts.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Ummmmm Joriebelle????

That link was from 2015.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:

I don't know what's normal and what's not anymore. LOL  Like I said, I'm not actually accusing you of anything... really I'm not.  I'm just trying to understand how it can all be true.   So many of your stories are soooo gosh darn convoluted. Seems like almost all of them, in fact.  You really shouldn't be surprised that people end up having some doubts.

That's the story of my life, Heidi.  Sometimes I can't believe it myself.  LOL.  Hopefully I will be able to clear some stuff up after I talk to the director tomorrow at 2 pm.  Stay tuned.  And as I go back and read stuff yeah, I guess I can understand your doubts too.  It was never this way with any of my other daughters who danced.  Some days I long for those simpler times. . . [biggrin]
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:

That's the story of my life, Heidi.  Sometimes I can't believe it myself.  LOL.  Hopefully I will be able to clear some stuff up after I talk to the director tomorrow at 2 pm.  Stay tuned.  And as I go back and read stuff yeah, I guess I can understand your doubts too.  It was never this way with any of my other daughters who danced.  Some days I long for those simpler times. . . [biggrin]

Yes.. but dare I ask why the link you gave me to prove there were August auditions from 2015?  You linked a newspaper article from August 2015 that listed audition dates from August 2015.

Not to mention the proof you showed me before was a flyer that showed an audition in July.  Several "months" ago.  So now I must ask... which is it really? I know you have a lot going on but this is starting to get a little concerning, don't you think? [smile]
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Dd has several friends who've done the Moscow production over the years and she decided to do it with her friend this year. The parts are no smaller than what she gets through her school and there are only 4 or 5 Sunday afternoon rehearsals of an hour or so. The audition was free and there is a $50 costume fee. They are short on dancers as they decided to hold earlier auditions this year and are encouraging us to refer friends to audition at the first rehearsals. I'm kind of looking forward to watching a different version of Nutcracker this year. Casting isn't official at her school but she auditioned for the same background parts she's been doing for, literally, years.
gingercrew

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #21 
My son is going to be a mouse. Which is what he wanted. He is doing it with Moscow ballet. I liked that they are only doing rehearsals every Sunday for an hour and a half. 
gingercrew

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #22 
the $250 fee is NOT normal from what I know so far. We paid $50 plus whatever its going to cost to order tights and shoes and leotards etc to wear under their costumes. The Moscow provides like most of the costume but all the dancers need matching shoes/tights/leos etc to wear under the costume. But even that does not seem to add up to $250 honestly. We just have to order some black ballet flats, black tights and a black leo (or in my son's case not sure what they want him to wear since boys really don't wear leos) to wear under the mouse costume. 

Then you have the option of purchasing warm ups and a $30 t shirt that has like the dancers in the productions names on it and some other stuff. I was like $30 for a t shirt is crazy but I Paid it anyway since he may only do this once so its a big deal for him. 

I heard other studios can charge extra fees but that is not from Moscow. If you go to their website it clearly states there is just the $50 fee but says studios may add more. Ours is not adding more. Its my son's studio plus another studio close to that one that is doing it with Moscow and I don't think either is charging more than the $50 and the cost of your leo/tights/shoes. 
karab2000

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Yep, Heidi, something weird is going on here. If you look at the info page for this nutcracker, Chicago, I'm assuming, since that's where the article from last year was from, the listed host studio is not new, and the director has been working with the Moscow Ballet since 2007. http://www.nutcracker.com/your-city/get-tickets/rosemont-chicago
Sorry if this is not the show that's being discussed. 
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:

Yes.. but dare I ask why the link you gave me to prove there were August auditions from 2015?  You linked a newspaper article from August 2015 that listed audition dates from August 2015.

Not to mention the proof you showed me before was a flyer that showed an audition in July.  Several "months" ago.  So now I must ask... which is it really? I know you have a lot going on but this is starting to get a little concerning, don't you think? [smile]

I do have alot going on; I have 5 kids!  The link is wrong because I was frazzled and sent you the wrong one!   Try this one:

http://us7.campaign-archive2.com/?u=4bf01cffbb69bf7b71f44ad82&id=16b80496c7

Scroll all the way to the bottom.  Moscow Ballet auditions in Plainfield at the end of July.  

Now here is the link for the Algonquin IL auditions on July 22 that we were going to go to because I had missed  the first one in Plainfield.  Note the correct date of 2016.

http://www.eventsinusa.net/event-north-suburbs-audition-for-children-s-cast-of-moscow-ballet-s-nutcracker-algonquin-4682284

Yes I do have alot going on and I was just out of town Wednesday until Sunday so I'm still catching up.

NO I don't think this is starting to get concerning, Detective Heidi.  What I think is concerning is that you're continually accusing me of lying.  I admit I'm a little spacey now and again and I did send the wrong link but I sent you the correct one a month ago but you seemed to have forgotten that.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by karab2000
Yep, Heidi, something weird is going on here. If you look at the info page for this nutcracker, Chicago, I'm assuming, since that's where the article from last year was from, the listed host studio is not new, and the director has been working with the Moscow Ballet since 2007. 

Facebook link showing that Mr. Altin is the new artistic director for Plainfield Dance Academy.

http://nb-no.el-gr.fb.me/plainfielddanceacademy/photos/a.428903070562585.1073741829.423290524457173/988255881293965/?type=3

What I DID notice that I didn't pay attention to before is that the July audition in Plainfield was at a different studio, GymQuest.  The September audition was at Plainfield Dance Academy.  So PDA only held one audition.  All I remember was that when we were searching for a Nutcracker we were going to go to Algonquin and then I noticed that there had been one in Plainfield shortly before.

It boggles my mind that this is such a big deal to you.  Why would I lie about a Nutcracker audition that she never even went to?!  It's just weird.  
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.