Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aking9957
We actually had two solos this year. We are independent and my oldest has a Pointe Solo and Contemporary. 175 miles is the furthest and then 117 will be the next. One was for a specific competition and the other was for to see family. We do know of others that took a solo, duo or trio because the competition was weeker.They must have needed a win for confidence. We heard the comments from the kids when they got back how the competition was. We have never gotten that close to competition directors or anyone else who could give us this information. We go into every competition with the thought, "just do your best, we might get slaughtered".Independents are judged a little differently.

Re: the bolded.  This has not been our experience.  My dd competed independently for 2 years... at 15 & 16 yo... & I can say w/certainty that she was not treated/judged any differently than any of the other dancers at any of the 10 comps she attended.  Not to mention, according to one of her choreographers who also judges on the side, judges aren't typically given that info.  Not to say that there is not some comp out there that might do things differently but I think that, generally speaking, its' safe to say that the judges don't know that you're an independent... so they can't judge you differently. 

Not looking to argue, just wanted to put forth our experience.  Only because there are a lot of rumors out there about competing as an independent.
1tinydancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #27 
I guess I'm lucky, I live in an area where comps/conventions are a dime a dozen. Several each and every weekend. I also see people traveling from out of state to go to a comp down here. Could they be visiting WDW too? Sure.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #28 
It's a little different for ballet because that's all she really competes with is a solo.  For DD16, they bring all dances to all competitions.  For DD12, she's brought her solos as far as NY and in a few weeks to FL.
gandalf

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by elastigal
We were at a comp a month ago and there was a full studio team there that had travelled 4 hours to get there. Comp didn't finish until after 9 pm on the Sunday, started on the Friday. To me that was too much driving.

I'm just doing some math here... Friday-Sunday night is pushing 60 hours all-in. 4 hours doesn't seem like a huge part of that. Lucky for me, DH loves to drive. The bad part is that he is a Prop dad, so we are always the first to arrive, and the last to leave. But then again, at least her is there for DDs 
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #30 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf

I'm just doing some math here... Friday-Sunday night is pushing 60 hours all-in. 4 hours doesn't seem like a huge part of that. Lucky for me, DH loves to drive. The bad part is that he is a Prop dad, so we are always the first to arrive, and the last to leave. But then again, at least her is there for DDs 

Four hours doesn't sound bad to me either.  But then again, we're that family who will routinely go on weekend trips that involved a 4, 5, even 6+ hr drive...  and still leave as late as possible on Sunday even if it means getting home at 2 in the morning w/ everyone dragging a bit for school/work on Monday.   The adventure is always worth the little bit of sacrifice for us.  

Maybe the difference with dance competition is the dancer and their family doesn't have a choice. If they are not that kind of family, too bad for them.  Does seem a little unfair to me.  But I suppose everyone knows what they are signing up for.  If the schedule doesn't work for a family, perhaps that's just not the studio/team for them.     

dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tinydancer
I guess I'm lucky, I live in an area where comps/conventions are a dime a dozen. Several each and every weekend. I also see people traveling from out of state to go to a comp down here. Could they be visiting WDW too? Sure.

At our last comp (5 mins from our studio, which is where our dancers warmed up!), there was a studio competing from Vegas.  That's over 2000 miles, and while a decent mid-sized city, we don't exactly have any attractions locally.  Maybe a 90 minute drive to Niagara Falls if you drive fast, or 6 hours driving to NYC.  Not sure if they just "needed" to qualify something for nationals or what.  I don't get it.
AusDM

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #32 

We live in a rural area so to get to the closest competition is at least an 1hr - 1.5hrs. So it's not unusual for us to be travelling 2 or 3 hours to experience a diversity of competitions purely because they're not available where we are.  

We have travelled interstate so my daughter could compete in National competitions - one was 12hrs (we flew for that comp), the other was an 8hr drive. At least the journey is part of the adventure.

dancemonkey

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #33 
I love that our competitions are less than an hour away! Sometimes we do some 2 hours away. But rarely!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: