Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
We are in a metro area where, this time of year, there are at least 4-5 competitions each weekend. This season, I have noticed some dancers who have come to a competition (not convention, just competition) with only their solo(s).  Not unusual.  But this year, they are coming from far away.   For example, last weekend, there was a soloist from another major metro area, who would have had to drive 11 hours while passing 2-3 other major metro areas to get to this competition.  It was our first time at this comp but it didn't strike me as the kind that draws huge talent (I wish it would have).  Looking at this weekend, similar situation.  I know this is super common at conventions, but is this a new trend for competitions?
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzit42
We are in a metro area where, this time of year, there are at least 4-5 competitions each weekend. This season, I have noticed some dancers who have come to a competition (not convention, just competition) with only their solo(s).  Not unusual.  But this year, they are coming from far away.   For example, last weekend, there was a soloist from another major metro area, who would have had to drive 11 hours while passing 2-3 other major metro areas to get to this competition.  It was our first time at this comp but it didn't strike me as the kind that draws huge talent (I wish it would have).  Looking at this weekend, similar situation.  I know this is super common at conventions, but is this a new trend for competitions?

Which comp was it? I've noticed it at conventions but not at comps. We're going to GR this weekend for just her solo but that's only because EVERYTHING close was sold out. 
Julieg

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I'm in the Seattle area.  We've had kids on our team go as far as Texas, California and Arizona.  In one particular case, it was because the dancer had the flu at the regionals for our nationals and she wanted to be able to compete her solo at nationals and compete for title at nationals.  Sometimes a senior group will go down to California with their coaches to compete a group dance or two.  That hasn't actually happened for a while but it used to.
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Well, I took Ash from the Midwest to LA last summer.  It was for nationals with convention, but we were the only ones from our studio, so it was just solos for the comp portion.

But as far as a competition only regional goes, I wouldn't head out of the local metro area.  Like your area, we have several every weekend during the spring, so no real need to head too far.  I have taken her 3-5 hours away for conventions where she will compete just her solo; some really good ones just don't come here.
gandalf

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzit42
For example, last weekend, there was a soloist from another major metro area, who would have had to drive 11 hours while passing 2-3 other major metro areas to get to this competition.

Perhaps they had family in the area. The truth is we cannot judges anyone elses motives, afterall we spend over $100 for a 2 minute solo
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf

Perhaps they had family in the area. The truth is we cannot judges anyone elses motives, afterall we spend over $100 for a 2 minute solo

Truth. A one time thing, no big deal. But every comp? Just wondering if there is a new trend.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
We've travelled for comps that have a convention attached but never just for comp. I do know that studios who go to ADA Nationals have dancers that travel in an effort to get tittle so they can participate in the Dance of the Year comp. Other than that I can't imagine why anyone would travel for comp alone.
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
The only time we've travelled more than 1 1/2 hours for solos only is YAGP. There are two regionals that are fairly close to us, but the last two years those dates haven't worked out with dd's schedule. Last year she competed at a location 8 hours away, and this year she competed at a location two states away. The time she made it to the finals in New York, that was across the country. I can't imagine traveling far with solos for a regular competition though, unless we had some other reason to travel to that area.
elastigal

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
We were at a comp a month ago and there was a full studio team there that had travelled 4 hours to get there. Comp didn't finish until after 9 pm on the Sunday, started on the Friday. To me that was too much driving.
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
4-5'comps each weekend! Wow! We live in the 3rd largest metropolitan area in Australia and we would never have so much choice.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #11 
A couple of years ago we were at a comp in Toronto that had a studio come all the way from Vancouver.  That's the other side of Canada and about a 5 hour flight.  I was really surprised as it was just a regional and not a comp that offers nationals.
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacaranda
4-5'comps each weekend! Wow! We live in the 3rd largest metropolitan area in Australia and we would never have so much choice.

Not all year round, but February through mid May there are that many. Some comps will come once early and once late.
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
For us the season runs from April-September (quite a bit longer than your season seems to be). There will be some comps outside of that time but it is less popular to compete Jan-March as that is the start of the school/dance year and studios need time to get their routines together, and then less common in Oct-Dec as that is recital season.

But even in peak season we would never have so much choice.
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
It depends. I have seen one soloist recently who has gone "title shopping" usually in markets you would not envision as being major dance hubs.

We have no objection to traveling as long as we know what the schedule looks like to be able to make travel arrangements and have some other purpose for being there.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
I wonder if it's also purposely going to a comp where their teammates won't be there and won't know they are there
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #16 

Could also be that they were in town for something else and decided to compete while there.  Or maybe they wanted to compete at a certain comp but it was sold out closer to home and made it a fun weekend away.  How much time does it take to do a solo or two? Not much.  I wouldn't just assume anyone drove 11 hours for no other reason than to do a 2-3 minute solo.  There has to be more to the story.  

Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by momcrew

Which comp was it? I've noticed it at conventions but not at comps. We're going to GR this weekend for just her solo but that's only because EVERYTHING close was sold out. 

Well, let's just say we have seen it at KAR, League of Champions and Headliners this year. It also happened at the convention we went to, but I expect that. Mostly, I am happy to see it. Sometimes local talent can get boring. It was nice to see a tapper coming in from far away. DD18 is a tapper. It's rare that she competes her solo against one tapper. To have one who came from far away was pretty cool for her. DD told me how great she thought this other tapper was. I saw her solo from the audience and I agreed. This past weekend, we saw some soloists who came from far away who were incredible. Did my DD "lose" to them? Yep. But they deserved it. My DD and her teammates agreed. So do I. Sometimes the best thing that happens at a comp is that you get inspired
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

Could also be that they were in town for something else and decided to compete while there.  Or maybe they wanted to compete at a certain comp but it was sold out closer to home and made it a fun weekend away.  How much time does it take to do a solo or two? Not much.  I wouldn't just assume anyone drove 11 hours for no other reason than to do a 2-3 minute solo.  There has to be more to the story.  

Agreed. My DD and two of her BFFs took their solos to a comp this weekend. The venue was approx 20 minutes from our house. And I don't have much ambition beyond that to take my DDs solo anywhere. It was nice for me and my favorite dance mom to hang out and watch our kids dance in a zero pressure environment. But when every comp we go to has dancers from far away, I wonder if it's a new trend. Title chasing or national qualifying. Just curious.
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #19 
We go 5-8 hours away about twice a year.
We go to see new stuff and studios and ideas to get inspired. It would drive me nuts staying in the one area doing three-four competitions seeing the same studios and routines.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #20 
There are so many studios in Toronto and the surrounding area that you could exclusively go to comps within a 2 hour drive and still not run into the same ones very often.
Bonbonmama

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Almost all our comps are 3-4Hrs away. We usually do not go just for solos, the only one previously was NUVO (the seniors usually took their solos but no group dances to that one) but we also did the convention. There was a rule change at NUVO this year apparently, no solos without group dances(?).
Yeah, the comps that start early on friday (or even worse, late thursday!!) and end late on sunday really stink. Even ending around 7pm sunday is horrible when you have a 3-4hr drive home after an exhausting weekend...!
angelashunter

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #22 
We will travel 2-4 hours for a regional competition. Coming from a small town we really don't have much of a choice. 
jujusmom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #23 
We live in a metro area with plenty of local choices, but sometimes they overlap.  And we almost always see the same studios at each of the convention/comps that we go to.  So, usually once a season we travel a few hours away and usually see a whole new group of studios.  It's always nice to see new dances [smile]

The furthest we've traveled for a just a solo was 3-4 hours for NYCDA as the local weekend here conflicted with a BTF that was required for team.  
hsealover

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #24 
We just got back from Akron, Ohio where my DD competed just her solos, that was about a 2 hour drive for us.

For me, it would depend if it were a convention and competition or just a competition. I'd be willing to go farther for a convention.

That being said, I would drive up to maybe 4 hours for a convention, but haven't done that yet. For a competition, it would depend on if it were nationals or a regional and also the venue and competition we're going to.

For instance, I've drove 3 hours for a regional that was at a very fun location, but she wasn't just doing her solos and has people to hang put with. Would I do this for solos at a regional, probably not, unless she brought a friend with her.

Usually we don't drive much more than 2 hours for regionals that she will only be doing her solos at. For groups, I'd be more willing since there's more purpose in being there. Once again, I would drive farther for a convention because she has more learning opportunities and will take classes all weekend in addition to performing her solo(s). We would almost always have to travel for conventions, most conventions don't visit Ohio.
aking9957

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #25 
We actually had two solos this year. We are independent and my oldest has a Pointe Solo and Contemporary. 175 miles is the furthest and then 117 will be the next. One was for a specific competition and the other was for to see family.

We do know of others that took a solo, duo or trio because the competition was weeker.They must have needed a win for confidence. We heard the comments from the kids when they got back how the competition was.

We have never gotten that close to competition directors or anyone else who could give us this information. We go into every competition with the thought, "just do your best, we might get slaughtered".Independents are judged a little differently.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.