Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
mom24

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
We just came from a comp where there were 46 intermediate junior solos.  They gave top 5.  There were 22 elite junior solos, and they gave 5.  But apparently in other age groups it was a different amount.

I would have thought it would have been percentage of solos, like maybe top 20%, so top 9 when there are 46, but only top 4 or 5 when there are 22.  But obviously that isn't how they decide.

How do they determine how many places to give?

rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Many competitions list in their rules how many places they award. Sometimes it doesn't matter how many entries there are, they always do the top 5. There are a few that extend the awards if they have more entries, and they will do something like the top 20 if there are 100+ entries in a category. Like many competitions, every one is a little different. [smile] 
Mamala

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I've found that they are all different in how they do things. If you look at their website or their program they might explain their systems. I have been to some that do a top 10 no matter what (so if there are less than 10 they will just do however many there are... like 8 numbers means a top 8, 4 numbers means a top 4 etc. and then anything over 10 numbers means a top 10). I've been to other competitions that does a percentage. Some just do a top 5 no matter how many numbers there are. It just all depends. It's funny because at our last comp one of the moms was so excited that her DD's duet placed 3rd. I took a look at the program and counted how many were in her category and there were only 3. I would think that in a case like that they should maybe just announce the top scoring number but they announce them all. I guess it makes people feel good if they didnt realize there were only a few competing against them.
beachgirl

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I remember the days when BTF only did top 3 and now sometimes you have 25 in the top "10."
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
It depends on the comp. I have seen all kinds of different placement awards, even a top 20 in a 50 soloists field. I have sent a top three with three in the category. I would recommend checking the comps website. Many post results, rules and schedules. That should help you. The only comp that bugs me in this case is Applause. Their website and results only mention a top 5. But at the comp, they have given up to a top 20 but they only list 1-5 on the results on the website. I don't know why they wouldn't list all the winners. Annoying.
Jerseyboymom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Varies by comp. We were just at a comp that usually does a top 5, but they list the top 10 on their website. They did a top 10 for teen solos. There were 110 senior solos, so they did a top 20. They made it clear that was not their norm. For smaller categories and the lower levels, sometimes they just called a top three or one.

I prefer to see at least a top 10, especially when there are a lot of entries. Even for dances that are not our studio, I just like to know: "Hey, I wonder where that yadda yadda dance from X studio came out? Oh, eighth? Okay."

joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Every competition is different.  I've been to a few where they've given a top 20 if there are a ton of solos.  But there are others that even with a ton of solos they will only give a top 10 or top 5.  Sometimes it says what their policy is on the website but sometimes not.
BCdancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
There was almost 70 solos in the teen category at the comp my dd competed at this past weekend, and there was top 10. I was not impressed that there was no break down of the categories, or any levels... Just teens, all genres of dance and all experience levels??

JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCdancemom
There was almost 70 solos in the teen category at the comp my dd competed at this past weekend, and there was top 10. I was not impressed that there was no break down of the categories, or any levels... Just teens, all genres of dance and all experience levels??

This is actually my favorite scenario!  I really don't like leveling at comps.  DD, in her last couple of years of competing, did primarily BTF and NYCDA.  They don't do leveling.  The only breakdown is by age.  I think that's the best way for these comps to run.  They will acknowledge the top routine in each dance style very quickly after running through the adjudications, but the overalls were for every dance in every style in that age category and dance type (i.e solo, duet/trio, groups, etc.).  I wish all comps were like that.
dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JojosDanceMom

This is actually my favorite scenario!  I really don't like leveling at comps.  DD, in her last couple of years of competing, did primarily BTF and NYCDA.  They don't do leveling.  The only breakdown is by age.  I think that's the best way for these comps to run.  They will acknowledge the top routine in each dance style very quickly after running through the adjudications, but the overalls were for every dance in every style in that age category and dance type (i.e solo, duet/trio, groups, etc.).  I wish all comps were like that.

I agree, we only go to comps like that (no levels, overalls between all genres) and it makes other comps seems kind of silly, when categories are broken down so far it seems like everyone comes away with a placement.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingpeanut
I agree, we only go to comps like that (no levels, overalls between all genres) and it makes other comps seems kind of silly, when categories are broken down so far it seems like everyone comes away with a placement.

My dream (never going to happen) scenario?  We know that there are sister competitions under the same parent organization.  So I wish they marketed one as a more "advanced/elite" circuit, and the other as "intermediate."  One level per comp, but offer something for everyone.  Maybe the "intermediate" circuit can also offer an "experience only" level, where dancers get to dance on stage, get critiques, but are not eligible for overalls.

I know it will never happen.  Comps want as many paying dancers per stop as possible, and SOs don't want to bring half the studio one weekend and the other half another.  Well, that and the fact that kids like to come in first.

gandalf

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I have found over the years that it depends on how your DD scored. If she has the 11th highes score, they recognoze the Top 10. If she has the 6th highest score, they just list the top 5 
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JojosDanceMom

While I agree with you in principle (much rather have an unleveled comp with a top 10 (or top 5, or even top 3), BTF chooses not to break ties, so you can easily have 20+ dancers in the "top 10."  I personally find that rather annoying.

5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
I just got back from a competition that had 9 intermediate teen soloists...and the competition placed them all, 1-9. One of our team girls was 9th. That's just tough to take. I'd rather see a percentage used and let the bottom half be in the dark about how they rank. I think with just 9 solos, a top 1 would have been appropriate. The elite soloists at this comp did a top 20, there were about 60 solos.

And I think they should break ties. After all, this is all just a judges opinion anyway, so they can and should use their opinion to break ties, even if the arbitrary scores are the same. Agree that a top 10 should be an actual top 10, not 20ish.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf
I have found over the years that it depends on how your DD scored. If she has the 11th highes score, they recognoze the Top 10. If she has the 6th highest score, they just list the top 5 

This totally describes DD14's last comp.  They had top 10.  She was 11th out of 11 total dancers.  There were only 10 dancers listed but I guess there was an add in.  If there wasn't an add in she would have made the top 10. [rolleyes]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.