Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
mom24

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
We just came from a comp where there were 46 intermediate junior solos.  They gave top 5.  There were 22 elite junior solos, and they gave 5.  But apparently in other age groups it was a different amount.

I would have thought it would have been percentage of solos, like maybe top 20%, so top 9 when there are 46, but only top 4 or 5 when there are 22.  But obviously that isn't how they decide.

How do they determine how many places to give?

rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Many competitions list in their rules how many places they award. Sometimes it doesn't matter how many entries there are, they always do the top 5. There are a few that extend the awards if they have more entries, and they will do something like the top 20 if there are 100+ entries in a category. Like many competitions, every one is a little different. [smile] 
Mamala

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I've found that they are all different in how they do things. If you look at their website or their program they might explain their systems. I have been to some that do a top 10 no matter what (so if there are less than 10 they will just do however many there are... like 8 numbers means a top 8, 4 numbers means a top 4 etc. and then anything over 10 numbers means a top 10). I've been to other competitions that does a percentage. Some just do a top 5 no matter how many numbers there are. It just all depends. It's funny because at our last comp one of the moms was so excited that her DD's duet placed 3rd. I took a look at the program and counted how many were in her category and there were only 3. I would think that in a case like that they should maybe just announce the top scoring number but they announce them all. I guess it makes people feel good if they didnt realize there were only a few competing against them.
beachgirl

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I remember the days when BTF only did top 3 and now sometimes you have 25 in the top "10."
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
It depends on the comp. I have seen all kinds of different placement awards, even a top 20 in a 50 soloists field. I have sent a top three with three in the category. I would recommend checking the comps website. Many post results, rules and schedules. That should help you. The only comp that bugs me in this case is Applause. Their website and results only mention a top 5. But at the comp, they have given up to a top 20 but they only list 1-5 on the results on the website. I don't know why they wouldn't list all the winners. Annoying.
Jerseyboymom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Varies by comp. We were just at a comp that usually does a top 5, but they list the top 10 on their website. They did a top 10 for teen solos. There were 110 senior solos, so they did a top 20. They made it clear that was not their norm. For smaller categories and the lower levels, sometimes they just called a top three or one.

I prefer to see at least a top 10, especially when there are a lot of entries. Even for dances that are not our studio, I just like to know: "Hey, I wonder where that yadda yadda dance from X studio came out? Oh, eighth? Okay."

joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Every competition is different.  I've been to a few where they've given a top 20 if there are a ton of solos.  But there are others that even with a ton of solos they will only give a top 10 or top 5.  Sometimes it says what their policy is on the website but sometimes not.
BCdancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
There was almost 70 solos in the teen category at the comp my dd competed at this past weekend, and there was top 10. I was not impressed that there was no break down of the categories, or any levels... Just teens, all genres of dance and all experience levels??

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: