Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Dancemomjus

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
In our town we have 1 dance studio that offers comp dancing. So i'm interested to find out how you all chose the studio that you're at. [smile]
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #2 
We chose our first studio based on the fact that they were close to home and would take DS when he was 2 years old.  When he was ready to leave at 9 we looked around and found a great studio that welcomed him immediately and offered lots of ballet and separate technique and choreography classes with an invitation only comp team.
beachgirl

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I think I remember this question being asked before so a search might turn up some answers.

For us, I heard of our studio when I was still in college and way before I was married and had my own children. They were local near the college I was attending and I decided to go to one of their end-of-year concerts. I was blown away and at that point decided if I ever had a daughter that wanted to dance, I would send her there. And I did! [smile]
dancemonkey

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Close to home. And the schedule worked with mine. I've been there for 15 years.
dancermom28

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 

The Schedule worked with mine, and we have been there for 10 years. My daughter has grown up with most of the girls since they started as a toddler, and has form close friendships with most of the girls. I am still surprised that so many girls stayed at the dancing school. The dancing school is good, but just surprised as I have seen another dance studio that only has 3 or 4 for a similiar class level. Most of the dance girls do stay until High School Graduation, so we'll see if that is the case with my DD's level.

My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Chose our first studio 8 or 9 years ago because they offered hip hop for kids my daughters' ages at the time without requiring them to take ballet or anything else.

after a few years they thought they wanted to try sports ... I made them choose as I had an older daughter who was very involved in drama club.  The sports thing lasted a few months and they missed dance.  But we heard that their favorite teacher had left that studio , and they didn't want to go back if she wasn't there.  So I get online and start looking for studios and click on one and up pops a picture of the DT they loved.  She had opened her own studio with another teacher from old studio.  It was December and I emailed to inquire about tuition and starting the next year and she said to bring them to hip hop starting in January.  We have been there ever since and now take much more than 1 hour of hip hop a week [smile]
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
1st studio: right by the house.  We moved to another state after 2 years of rec dancing

2nd studio: saw the sign when we were house hunting in new location.  We visited the studio, then signed up for classes.  Did one year of rec, then she was invited to audition for comp.  Did 3 years of comp after that.

2nd studio, part 2: 2nd studio changed hands after our 3rd year of comp.  We stayed 1 year under new owners/management, then made a decision to leave based on not agreeing with the direction new owners were taking studio.  Then spent a year at a pre-pro ballet studio and a rec only studio with a beloved teacher.

3rd and current studio: moved to another state again.  Did quite a bit of internet research prior to house hunting/moving.  Knew Ash really wanted to go back to a comp environment.  Narrowed the search down to 5 studios, and visited and "interviewed" each of the 5 studios while on a house hunting trip.  Selected the one we are at based on those interviews, and don't regret it at all!  Ash is happy and continues to grow as a dancer, and the other moms welcomed me with open arms!  Recently the studio partnered with a local ballet company, and ballet technique has been improving quite a bit.
jeanne4379

Triple Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I started looking for someplace for my dd to blow off all her extra energy.  Ice skating? To cold. Gymnastics?  No go. Horses? Smelly.  So I started looking for a dance studio.  I interviewed lots of places while she was in school.  At one place the guy was waxing the floor.  Yes waxing the dance floor. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.  Then I went to a place on my way home from grocery shopping.  The teacher didn't know it, but I watched through the open door as she taught a class of advanced students followed by babies.  The care and attention to detail and encouragement and love of her craft was evident in every word and gesture.  Those little ones came out of class full of glee.  One had to go to the ladies room.  Her mom was shopping.  No prob. Another mom just took care of things in a loving way.  That did it.  Next day I brought dd in to watch a class. I literally could not get her out of there until the place closed for the night.  

Yes I asked for a resume - got one for all staff, and introduced to the owner.  I was asked to watch all classes.  The rest, as it were, is history.
dancedivasx2

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
1st studio - Mom and pop by house. 2 years moved.
2nd studio - large comp team by my work and away from drama of school friends. 5 years now and loving it!
southerndancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I choose the studio we are currently at for DD when she was 4ish, We choose it basically because we had heard really good things about them - they offered a fun preschool class which appealed to DD. After this season we are moving to a new studio, we have chosen DDs new studio based on - did a lot of research of studios in our area. Southern Cali and LA has a lot of studios is what I learned! But we choose the final one based on a lot of things, reputation, faculty, we looked at how the seniors and teens were dancing - we looked at a lot of different classes and spoke to the parents. Very very excited for DD to dance at the new studio - the seniors and juniors are incredible.
musicmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
We live in a small town that has one studio. Large rec program and a "learn a dance" comp program. Stayed until she wanted more technique. Narrowed down current studio based on seeing them at convention classes. Tried classes to see where the technique was. Dd was old enough to know. Noted the level of her peers, so she wouldn't be the best in her age group after some graduated. Distance was also a consideration.
Grateful to our hometown studio. She would have stopped if they had not had a comp team to offer more.
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
The studios in Vegas and Missouri were chosen based on proximity to our house (Vegas) and lack of options (Missouri--though we did love the people there and despite the limited ballet they offer, feel they do pretty darn well.)

When I found out we were moving to NY, I asked on this board and received excellent advice from a member. 
Lesley

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
I didn't have a dance background, so I had a tough time. In the end, I chose the closest studio that was RAD certified. So far it looks to have been a good choice.
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Chose the current studio because it was a start-up associated with my Pilates studio. I knew the owner from Pilates classes, and thought she was very nice. My oldest was 7, and had liked dancing, so I figured, why not? [smile] Her first class was with Miss Kim and 2 others girls. They did some stretching and learned a cute little parade routine. I was working out at the time, but the class ending 30 minutes before my workout did. Kim poked her head in the door and asked if she could keep DD until the class was over. After we were both done, DD couldn't stop gushing about how much she liked the teacher and how "a real professional dancer thinks I'm talented, mom!" After that, it was all over. Come fall, she was registered for 2.5 hours a week, which seemed crazy to me. We've been through a few ups and downs with ownership issues, but ultimately, we'll always be at this studio with Kim. We started with 4 small groups, and progressed to 11 large groups- 2 or 3 per age division, plus a performing line. Everyone makes a team. I like her philosophy and I like her style. The teachers are our studio are creative. They don't recycle routines, and really challenge their dancers. Our dances are always entertaining It's more of a family-style studio instead of a strictly-business studio, and I like that, too. I like that any of the parents have input into what goes on. There will always be differences of opinion (for example, I would rather my kids wear costumes that have more fabric), but they love it there, and I have many good friends there, too.  I even partly chose our home based on it's proximity to the studio. [smile]
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #15 
First studio we chose because it was in the same town.  She was 3.  Then we moved and we chose a studio that was 5 minutes from our house.  She was 5.  At 7 we weren't pleased with the schedule that we would face if she stayed (they were upping the required hours/days per week to stay on track and talking up pre-comp and I just wanted a one day a week combo class).  We chose the studio we are at now because of it's Nutcracker.  And the fact that it had a team she could grow into later if she so chose.  It was far from our house (35 minutes) but it I liked what it had to offer....it just seemed a little different than most. We've been there now going on 6 yrs and all was good until the last 6-9 mos.  I believe another change is on the horizon for us.  I wish I had a crystal ball.
Momof3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
First studio - neighbor's daughter went there.  Took my then 4 year old, she liked it too, stayed for 5 years.
Second studio - Left the first to follow a favorite teacher after much agonizing over the decision.  No real issues with the first, but the decision boiled down to my DD's connection to that teacher. 8 months later, still very happy with the decision.
gkennedy

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Chose first studio because the teacher was RAD qualified, and it was the leading academy in our region. Have stayed ever since - my daughter has had fabulous opportunities through the studio.
We sadly are about to leave, when we head for our big new adventure in US.
We think we have selected a studio for my daughter in America, based on the wonderful advice people on here gave us. We will confirm our thoughts when we have settled in and are able to visit them.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
1st Studio - DD's friend danced there.  We stayed for 5 years.  DD needed more than what they had to offer.  They kept kids in the group they started with even if they were at different dancing abilities so dd got bored.  Also she wanted to do lyrical which they didn't offer.

2nd Studio - Researched a few studios, visited 1 other & didn't get a good feel for the environment.  Visited our current & liked the atmosphere and what the SO had to say.  DD tried a class and loved the teacher.   After 3 classes, dd was asked to join the comp team.  Best decision we made!
Klba37

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
I close friend at church told me where her daughter went so I decided to visit and really liked them. DD10 is still at the same studio. Of course there are a few things I don't like about the studio, but not enough to look around at this time.
amandafarris03

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #20 
i knew we were moving from georgia to texas for about 6 months (thank you military for an abnormally early response time!) so i started googling,  i found several studios and liked them on facebook, i kept a close  eye on what they were posting and i liked how family orientated the postings were on the studio we ended up choosing.  they knew in february that we were going to be coming in june.  she had her first class in july.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
1st studio was chosen because they had a creative movement class for preschoolers. It was the only reason I choose it! I just called every studio that was conveniently located and this was the only one that had something for little ones. She moved from that into a tap/jazz combo class and stuck with it. They kept inviting her to the competition team (which started at age 4! too young for my tastes) and I kept saying no. I thought 3 classes a week was too much at age 4. LOL. DD would have loved it but I wanted her to do other things. I digress as always! Stayed because I did like the comp teams had technique and comp classes. So, if you competed in jazz, you had to take 2 jazz classes a week and a ballet class. The tap required 2 tap classes a week and musical theater. This is just for the young ones (minis?) ages 4 to about 9. The ballet requirement did increase with age too and the class requirements increased from age 9 or 10 up. We left before then.

2nd studio was more carefully chosen. Dd was educated enough by then to know a decent class. We looked at every studio within a certain radius of the house. Her jazz teacher had recommended I take her to a ballet school. We looked at two of those in addition to several comp and non-comp studios. Dd knew very quickly which one she wanted to go to. I still firmly believe this studio has the best training in the immediate region.  
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
1st studio was close to the house.  Then we moved to TX, I took my daughter to classes at two comp studios, hated everything about the first one and didn't love the second and it was getting closer to the beginning of school so I started her at a ballet school where the teachers had great resumes with the agreement that she'd do nutcracker and take classes and then we'd see about looking someplace else for the next year.  She found that ballet really was the best thing for her.  There are problems and it's not perfect but the instruction is great.
notime

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Having never taken a dance class in my life, I knew nothing about it what so ever.  My SIL who was a dancer picked a studio for my niece.  I went there too so we could car pool. 

Never in a million years thought that I would have a dancer.  I thought it was just a fun Saturday class for her.  That was 11 years ago!  She wouldn't dream of doing anything else.
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #24 
My nieces (sister's 2 dds) went there..........it was also very local (like 10 minutes away). 10 years later we are still there. 
JLNH

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #25 
The teacher had been my teacher years before my daughter was born.  Best teacher I ever had, solid, solid training.  There was no question where my daughter would go once that teacher opened her own studio, and my daughter danced there for 12 years, until she graduated from HS.  As a college dancer, she still takes class there when she's back home.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: