Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #26 
If her pointe shoes are super smelly, are they totally drying out between uses?  One of the best things you can do is to buy at least 2 pair and then rotating them between classes.  If you find out that the box is deteriorating and that is causing the shoes to die, then your kid has a sweat issue.  Get some antiperspirant for them to use on their feet before they wear their shoes or get something like this product.    https://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_WGBPP.html.  Make sure they are airing out their shoes and keep them in a netted bag that breathes (and not shoved into a backpack or dance bag where they just marinate.
Motherhem

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee
If her pointe shoes are super smelly, are they totally drying out between uses?  One of the best things you can do is to buy at least 2 pair and then rotating them between classes.  If you find out that the box is deteriorating and that is causing the shoes to die, then your kid has a sweat issue.  Get some antiperspirant for them to use on their feet before they wear their shoes or get something like this product.    https://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_WGBPP.html.  Make sure they are airing out their shoes and keep them in a netted bag that breathes (and not shoved into a backpack or dance bag where they just marinate.

Great advice cynmckee!! We do all these things. They still smell but we keep doing them because they help us add to the life of the expensive shoes we purchased. You will see a difference in length of time you can use them if you have your dancer do it too. .
hopefuldancer17

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motherhem
I had no idea this was an option! But with a daughter who has been on pointe for a few years I don’t recommend this. They have to learn sometime and she will get better and faster. What if a thread breaks when she is putting a shoe on? She needs to be able to get in there and sew it up lickety split. She won’t be able to do that until she has some experience. Beside preparing shoes a very personal experience for a dancer. Each dancer likes their shoes a different way. She won’t be able to find her way without experience.  

I agree 100%. The more they practice, the better they get (and the faster they can do it, too). I always felt like if they weren't old enough and/or responsible enough to manage their own shoes then maybe they shouldn't be en pointe yet.
DanceForFun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #29 
Our studio director arranged a private fitting at our local dance store for the girls who were ready to get their first shoes.  It was held after hours at the store so was relaxed and fun.  We moms took photos and then we all headed home.  May not sound like much but honestly there were smiles all around. It really was special in and of itself.
TinyDancerNJMom

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sglemon
Pictures..just wait until you start buying a pair each month..  It is not quite as magical.  Oh, and do they stink....

I got that tip from an older dancer's mom.  She said she had them displayed in her room but then noticed they were stinking up the room.  I have a shadow box plan that puts in her first flats and first pointes when she is done with them.  

So far we have decided to do a surprise trip on her actual birthday to the local dancewear store (picking her up straight from her 1/2 day at school with her little sister in tow, and taking her right there) her DT/SO will meet us there to ensure a good fit and in a shoe she approves of, and we will have an appointment with the store owner/lead fitter.  Then the 4 of us will go out to lunch at a nice-sh place in town.  

Her birthday falls on the week of the spring ballet/recital so I'm playing with the idea of just having her invite a few friends to go to the show and take a very grown up trip to the diner for late dinner after.  We shall see!

Thanks for all your feedback!
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #31 
I'm not going to say that the stink isn't ever a problem for some but it's certainly not a given. So don't assume. We have a pile of maybe 50 shoes and I'm not lying when I say that they don't smell. Even if I put my nose IN them. They may have had their moments when she wore them but the odor didn't linger.
TinyDancerNJMom

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
I'm not going to say that the stink isn't ever a problem for some but it's certainly not a given. So don't assume. We have a pile of maybe 50 shoes and I'm not lying when I say that they don't smell. Even if I put my nose IN them. They may have had their moments when she wore them but the odor didn't linger.

You are lucky! DD's dance bag already stinks!! Flats, jazz shoes...
Motherhem

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

My dd does terribly! She gets hot and sweaty in class but she never has B.O. So we joke and say all her stink glands are in her feet. I blame it on her dad’s genes. 😆
DisneyLove

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #34 
My daughter was fitted for her first pair this past summer. There were a few girls who got them at the same time, so our studio owner met us there to ensure she was happy wth each girls' fit. We all went out to dinner after as a group.

As for what she did with that first pair after.....She performed as Clara this year in The Nutcracker, with Tiler Peck and Tyler Angle Guest starring as The Sugarplum Fairy and her Cavalier. They signed her first pair of shoes, and my daughter plans to put them in a shadow box with a photo and some other memorabilia. We haven't gotten around to that yet though!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.