Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
TinyDancerNJMom

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I know this is super geeky but I'm hoping since you all are dance moms too, some of you will understand.

My daughter is going to get her first pointe shoes this spring, on her birthday.  We have already planned for her teacher to meet us there to insure a good fitting and get shoes she approves of and will have an appointment with their master fitter.  After that we plan to take them both to lunch.

My daughter is a ballet GEEK she loves every aspect of it in every way. She has also been working toward this goal of going en pointe for over 6 years now.  I know logically that it is not the be all end all of dance and I know there is controversy around it but for her this is a big deal and for a kid to work toward a goal for that long is crazy to me. I want to really celebrate.  Stopping just short of ticker tape parade (ok not really)

Is it silly to take 1000 pictures? I want to tie in her birthday too, how can I include her friends in this hoopla? Obviously they can't come to the fitting, how can I do 'first pointe shoes' as a bday party theme?

What did you do to celebrate your daughter's first pointe shoes? Either then or after the fact. (what did you do with her first pair of shoes when she was done wearing them?)
Thanks in advance for any ideas you can share.    
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
We took a bunch of pictures, but that was about it.

I have 4 kids, so I can’t go over the top about something like this. I don’t have the time, energy, or money. LOL

I think a birthday party theme might be too much for girls who haven’t gone up yet. I’d be concerned for them. You could do a more generic ballet themed party, but my dd would’ve killed me for theme parties at that age.
ballerinamom13

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #3 
By taking out a loan???  [smile]   just kidding........lots of photos.
peachygreen98

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 

So my daughter went to her first pointe shoe fitting last week.  My sister and niece were in town and so they tagged along and took pictures.  Then we had to stop at Ulta to get her performance makeup (my 18 year old niece got to pick up everything she needed) as her first company show is coming up soon and then off to dance class.  Not much of a celebration I suppose but she was just thrilled to get fitted for her shoes.  Her teacher comes back from maternity leave next week so she gets to bring them to class and have them checked and sew on ribbons and elastic.  

Honestly getting the shoes was a huge celebration in and of itself without having to add anything else to it. She couldn't stop smiling all evening.  

NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
We cut out of school and work early with one of her friends/dancemates who wanted to come along and got a Starbucks treat then headed to the fitting. I didn’t take many obvious pics bc I felt weird doing it - lol. We had a lot of laughs and fun and I bought a stupid pointe shoe key chain and wrote the date on it. Then we drove home and had dinner. Nothing too eventful. Lol
hopefuldancer17

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
We took photos at her fitting and then went out for dessert afterward. 
tiptoemom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Took some photos and grabbed a shake! My daughter woas not doing themed birthdays at that age.m
peachygreen98

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCKDAD
We cut out of school and work early with one of her friends/dancemates who wanted to come along and got a Starbucks treat then headed to the fitting. I didn’t take many obvious pics bc I felt weird doing it - lol. We had a lot of laughs and fun and I bought a stupid pointe shoe key chain and wrote the date on it. Then we drove home and had dinner. Nothing too eventful. Lol

My sister took the pictures because the favorite aunt could get away with things that mom couldn't.  😉  
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #9 
We did nothing so I can't add anything to that but.... themed birthday parties?  Themed birthday parties have an age limit?  Obviously it depends on how you would throw it together, I know, but themes are certainly appropriate at any age!  (adults included!)

Also... while I understand that a pointe shoe themed bday party might be a reminder to some friends that they haven't yet reached that goalpost...  imo that's life.  And the sooner kids learn how to deal w/these little speedbumps in life the better perhaps.  How reasonable is it that people can't be happy & celebrate their successes w/their friends just because some of their friends haven't achieved the same success?  Just think... no wedding celebrations unless all the guests are married; no baby showers unless they've all birthed babies; no retirement parties unless they've all retired.....   Oh my 😉
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Take pictures, yes.  Some stores will even take & post "first pointe shoe" photos on their media site.

But I think our celebrations were limited to bringing home some expensive shoes followed by binge watching sewing videos.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Dd's first pair of shoes came from a store in NYC. So, spending a day together shopping in NYC was the celebration. I do wish I had taken more photos. I regret not taking photos at the fitting. We did remember to take a shot outside the store afterwards.. and that photo is lost somewhere on a computer with a dead hard drive. 
joriebelle

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #12 
I just took some pictures.  The getting the pointe shoes in itself was exciting enough!   Doing something with friends to celebrate, some of who are NOT in pointe shoes yet, might make them feel bad.
tiptoemom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Yep, once my daughter was old enough to have a say she did not like themed parties. Every child is different.
TinyDancerNJMom

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
Dd's first pair of shoes came from a store in NYC. So, spending a day together shopping in NYC was the celebration. I do wish I had taken more photos. I regret not taking photos at the fitting. We did remember to take a shot outside the store afterwards.. and that photo is lost somewhere on a computer with a dead hard drive. 

Which store did you go to? We stopped in the Bloch store near Lincoln center last year on her birthday because tickets to see misty in swan lake with her bestie is how we celebrated last year. We just bought tights last year but that store is gorgeous! I took a picture of her at the barre in the window anyway. I wish I could do her fitting there but then she can only try Boch styles. A lot of her friends wear Bloch but I think some wear grishko (sp?), and other brands too so I was thinking it wasn't good to limit her to just one brand. But aesthetically it's so much nicer than the local store
TinyDancerNJMom

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Most of DD's dance friends at her dance school are already en pointe since she is the youngest of the bunch. And the rest of her school or Girl Scout friends who dance just take one or two rec classes or are on competition jazz type teams. So I'm not worried about anyone being jealous of her being on pointe and rubbing it in with a party.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
The fitter at the bloch store is amazing.  When going into NYC you basically pick a brand of shoes, but they have all of the shoes that brand makes and the fitters are really good.

We're in NJ and my daughter's teacher is not a fan of the fitters at any of the local NJ stores.  She sends everyone to NYC, typically to Gaynor or Capezio. 

Bring your phone, take some pictures and then take her out for ice cream.  She doesn't need more than that.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 

Quote:
Which store did you go to? We stopped in the Bloch store near Lincoln center last year on her birthday

We went to Gaynor for her first pair on the recommendation of one of her instructors based on her feet at the time. It turned out to be the wrong shoe for her (she has tried them again two more times), but it was a fun day! 

The Bloch store is pretty new. It opened maybe 1-2 years ago, if that.  Looks very pretty. I still have not been inside. I encouraged dd to stop by there for a fitting in order to get a more easily obtainable shoe in an emergency, but she was not interested. 

Also in NJ, our old school does actually sometimes use a local-ish store, but the teacher goes with the beginner students to their first fitting. Other years, they have someone come out to do fittings right at the studio (I believe someone who is a Capezio and Bloch supplier). Otherwise, you were sent to the Rosin Box in Philly or Gaynor, Grishko or Freed in NYC. The Rosin Box is great because they have the best selection of brands and very good fitters.  It's worth the trip at some point later in her dance life. Most of the stores in NJ only carry a few brands- Capezio and Bloch are common. Some also have a few Grishkos. None go very deep in any brand- there are so many styles and sizes within each one. Hard for these smaller stores to keep up. 

lucky0003

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerinamom13
By taking out a loan???  [smile]   just kidding........lots of photos.

That was my first thought also! LOL! My daughter competed on pointe at competitions (usually the only one) and saved each pair. She surprised us by displaying all at her high school graduation party. The dads had sympathy for my husband when they found out how much a pair costs! Well worth it though. She loved dancing on pointe. The ones with holes in the toe box represented the times she didn’t tell us she needed a new pair and danced in them anyway. Crazy!!
Tracy37

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #19 
It actually worked out well for us and what you're asking is very normal. My daughter is now 11, but a big time ballet nut (lives and breathes it). There was a professional ballet performing that night, so we made a full day of it. She dressed up and we took lots of photos (I took a lot with the mirror) during the fitting. The store even had a certificate for her first Pointe shoes. We then headed to the ballet. She's now on her 3rd pair. We tied her first Pointe shoes by the ribbon and they're hanging on display. Hope this helps. Good luck and have fun.
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #20 
I took four pictures and we went to lunch afterward.

In retrospect, I should've taken DD over to JoAnn Fabrics for a sewing lesson. She doesn't want sewng advice from mom. LOL!
MimisMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #21 
My dd is too young but another mom took her daughter to a ballet performance after the fitting and was able to meet some of the dancers backstage and get autographs. That might be something fun.
peachygreen98

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #22 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phx115
I took four pictures and we went to lunch afterward. In retrospect, I should've taken DD over to JoAnn Fabrics for a sewing lesson. She doesn't want sewng advice from mom. LOL!

So true.  Although by the 3rd time we had to do the ribbons and elastic, I just took over and finished it. (elastic too loose, elastic needs to come back further, ribbons are too short on one side) I'm totally paying for them to be professionally sewn from now out.  I get why they wanted her to do it herself for the first pair, but not worth my time and frustration to watch her manage.  

Motherhem

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachygreen98

So true.  I'm totally paying for them to be professionally sewn from now out.   

I had no idea this was an option! But with a daughter who has been on pointe for a few years I don’t recommend this. They have to learn sometime and she will get better and faster. What if a thread breaks when she is putting a shoe on? She needs to be able to get in there and sew it up lickety split. She won’t be able to do that until she has some experience.

Beside preparing shoes a very personal experience for a dancer. Each dancer likes their shoes a different way. She won’t be able to find her way without experience.

It is probably too late but I love the idea of a party right after her first fitting where she could celebrate the fitting with friends who understand the importance of the day and her birthday too!

As for that first pair. We hung a decorative hook in her room and placed her first shoes on them. It started to honor the first pair but now it has most of them on it. I am trying to figure out something creative to do with them to recycle them but nothing has come to mind yet. That first pair will probably hang until she goes off to her own home at which point I will place them in a nice box she can pull out when she’s wants to remember the moment.
sglemon

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Pictures..just wait until you start buying a pair each month..  It is not quite as magical.  Oh, and do they stink....
Motherhem

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sglemon
Oh, and do they stink....

Yes they do!!! But they quit smelling after they quit wearing them after a bit.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.