Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all,

DD17 is college hunting. She will not be majoring in Dance or Choir. Right now, she is looking at Biochem. But wherever she goes, she would like to have options to dance, sing and/or act. Of course, she is going to be picky about the arts program. Right now, Hope College is on our radar. They offer some attractive scholarships for the arts for non arts majors. Does anyone have any experience with their dance program? I appreciate any feed back.
dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I have a friend who works there and has a son attending, and she took us on a tour last summer. It's a beautiful, small campus just a few blocks from the beach and in a quaint area of town. I actually went to dance camp there every summer with my high school dance team and loved staying on campus then. DD really liked their dance science option, but didn't like the fact that it is a fairly religious school, which she isn't interested in, but the main reason she eliminated it is that she hates Michigan weather. We found people there to be very friendly and the dance department sent her all kinds of information.
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I've heard great things about their dance program. We have a dance teacher who went there. 
dancedaughters

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I don't know anything about Hope's dance program, but their Chemistry department is fantastic.  If she's interested in biochem she should definitely seriously consider Hope.
ranfh

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #5 
We Just visited the college last week! Daughter was able to meet with the Dance Dept. Chair person and had a good discussion about the program. There is no question, the campus is beautiful and wonderfully maintained. There is a definite religious atmosphere but it did not distract my D. I am concerned more then she is. I also do not believe she quite understands it and she has no idea how harsh the MI weather can be. Right now, it's the top of her list because of the program that's she is most interested in, Dance/science.
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranfh
We Just visited the college last week! Daughter was able to meet with the Dance Dept. Chair person and had a good discussion about the program. There is no question, the campus is beautiful and wonderfully maintained. There is a definite religious atmosphere but it did not distract my D. I am concerned more then she is. I also do not believe she quite understands it and she has no idea how harsh the MI weather can be. Right now, it's the top of her list because of the program that's she is most interested in, Dance/science.

Our visit is Monday. I know there is a religious basis, but I admit I do not know how that would apply. DD went to Catholic school for 6 years, so it won't be completely unfamiliar. I did request to meet with dance and/or choir faculty. Not sure how that will work out. Hope is one of the few colleges in MI that has a tap program. I know that will be a big deal for DD. The entire arts+science program is super attractive to me. But this is only our second tour. We haven't seen the mid size and biggies yet.

We live in MI so we know about the winters. Especially that side of the state gets huge lake effect snow. It's not for everyone. Just send lots of warm stuff.
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Oh gosh I just love Hope College, truly a stunning campus with a great academic reputation, but DD wasn't interested in it because of it's small size.

Son's girlfriend is a Hope grad (bio & chem major) and is currently studying for her step 2 med school boards with my son.  Both will embark on their 4th and final year of med school this coming year!
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Wow, just wow...

We had a tremendous visit! Best part, was a full hour with a Chemistry professor. We learned so much about about the program. DD and I took extra time to check out the dance studios and music building. They have a studio dedicated to tap!! DD loved that. We strolled downtown and went to the beach.

I am in love!! DD, about 70% in love.
KB

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #9 
DH and I have a friend from grad school who teaches in the Chem program at Hope who is VERY happy there as a professor. It sounds like a great environment.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: