Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
classydance

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,075
Reply with quote  #26 
Yep.  Everyone's different.  So, we just share our experiences and others can gather what they want. No judgment on my part. I don' t have delusions about homeschooling but it works for my kid right now?
0
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,240
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459


I think your interpretation may be right but we looked at Laurel Springs and know two people who are either currently doing it or did it in the past.  And the lack of flexibility/deadline comments threw me as that's not my understanding of that program.  You can make your own deadlines to help with time management, yes, but I'm not aware that they create deadlines for you (beyond the end of the course... but they may even allow extensions for a small fee, not sure though).  Would love classydance to come back and talk more of her experience.  I thought LS was a great program and would've gone with it except for the cost.  Really pricey.


Thanks for clearing that up Heidi!  I have no experience with Laurel Springs so read her comment as there were set school deadlines.  It's good to hear it is more flexible.

0
classydance

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,075
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2miracles


Thanks for clearing that up Heidi!  I have no experience with Laurel Springs so read her comment as there were set school deadlines.  It's good to hear it is more flexible.



Just a quick question . . Heidi have you actually used the program? Have you seen the LMS interface? Has your DD taken a course? 

my2miracles, if you are interested in learning about Laurel Springs I suggest that you connect with others who have used it.  I  stated my experience but do talk with others who have or even ask the company to share a sample course with you. I think another parent also used it and made some statements. 

Heidi has not used the program and is basing her comments on hearsay. . not direct experience. 


0
heidi459

Avatar / Picture

Diamond Member
Registered:
Posts: 6,058
Reply with quote  #29 

Quote:
Originally Posted by classydance


Just a quick question . . Heidi have you actually used the program? Have you seen the LMS interface? Has your DD taken a course? 

my2miracles, if you are interested in learning about Laurel Springs I suggest that you connect with others who have used it.  I  stated my experience but do talk with others who have or even ask the company to share a sample course with you. I think another parent also used it and made some statements. 

Heidi has not used the program and is basing her comments on hearsay. . not direct experience. 



While, no, my dd did not end up using the program...  she was going to.  It was our top choice before someone suggested I look into UNHS.  So I did do an abundance of research on it.... talked at length to the other family we knew who was using it at the time, spent many hours on their website, asked questions of a representative.  And the other family we know?  Very close friend whose dd is using it right now.  And as such we do a great deal of comparing & contrasting of our kids' experiences w/their online hs programs.  So maybe a bit more than what most consider to be  'hearsay'. 

And tbh... I'm not sure why you're so defensive/annoyed.  It was comment... a desire for clarification... not a personal attack.  And the only reason I chimed in was because I thought people might come away w/the wrong idea & perhaps cross LS off their list because they thought it was all about deadlines/lacked flexibility... without actually looking into it.  Which I think you would agree would have been a shame.  It is a great program.  I think it would've worked great for my dd & flexibility is key for her since she is going about this in a VERY non traditional way.  It was really just the cost that was the dealer breaker for us.  

0
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,240
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by classydance




my2miracles, if you are interested in learning about Laurel Springs I suggest that you connect with others who have used it.  I  stated my experience but do talk with others who have or even ask the company to share a sample course with you. I think another parent also used it and made some statements. 





I'm not interested.  My DD15 uses Keystone Online.  I was just offering that up as a possibility as it is very flexible.
0
tendumom

Avatar / Picture

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,215
Reply with quote  #31 

My dd has used both Laurel Springs School and Keystone. I would be happy to answer any questions about either via PM. 

We did find that Keystone was even more flexible and a bit less expensive. In the end, we moved to a more eclectic style of homeschooling, combining many different methods and sources for her academics.  

0
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,240
Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom

My dd has used both Laurel Springs School and Keystone. I would be happy to answer any questions about either via PM. 

We did find that Keystone was even more flexible and a bit less expensive. In the end, we moved to a more eclectic style of homeschooling, combining many different methods and sources for her academics.  



This is what I would love to do but dd isn't comfortable with it and I work full-time outside of the home.
0
joriebelle

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,388
Reply with quote  #33 
Am I the only homeschooling dance mom on this forum who doesn't use an online program and does the schooling myself?  Although I should clarify that when they're in high school they do take 1-2 classes per semester at the local community college.  Starting with Spanish 1 and 2.  Just wondering.  [smile]  I've heard great things about some of the online programs.  We just decided that I would do it myself and it has worked out great although THERE ARE DAYS. . . when I want to pull my hair out (or theirs LOL).
0
threegirlpileup

High Bronze Member
Registered:
Posts: 38
Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle
Am I the only homeschooling dance mom on this forum who doesn't use an online program and does the schooling myself?  Although I should clarify that when they're in high school they do take 1-2 classes per semester at the local community college.  Starting with Spanish 1 and 2.  Just wondering.  [smile]  I've heard great things about some of the online programs.  We just decided that I would do it myself and it has worked out great although THERE ARE DAYS. . . when I want to pull my hair out (or theirs LOL).


Joriebelle, that's what we do.  My dd takes a couple of in-person local classes for homeschoolers as well as doing stuff at home.  We plan on doing the community college thing, too.  We're pretty unschooly and have never used a curriculum, much less an online school.  It works for us.  We are longtime homeschoolers, and it's great for both my dancer and my non-dancer.
0
tendumom

Avatar / Picture

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,215
Reply with quote  #35 

I think using an online school program is an easier transition for those who are coming from traditional school. 

I first looked into homeschooling when dd was 7 or 8. I joined a local email group to ask questions and was overwhelmed with various suggested curriculum choices and concepts. I ended up keeping her in school as a result! It wasn't until I was looking at alternatives to her private school that a local homeschooling mom cued me into the existence of these virtual schools (and there are so many more than when I looked all those years ago). It was easy because I had fewer choices to make and felt less responsible. Like many, I was worried about things like leaving a hole in her education, not knowing where a 6th grader should be. Afraid my expectations would either be too high (more likely) or too low. It took a year or two to get over that. [smile]  

I do also work outside the home but a non-traditional schedule which did help make this all possible. 

0
joriebelle

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,388
Reply with quote  #36 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom

I think using an online school program is an easier transition for those who are coming from traditional school. 

I first looked into homeschooling when dd was 7 or 8. I joined a local email group to ask questions and was overwhelmed with various suggested curriculum choices and concepts. I ended up keeping her in school as a result! It wasn't until I was looking at alternatives to her private school that a local homeschooling mom cued me into the existence of these virtual schools (and there are so many more than when I looked all those years ago). It was easy because I had fewer choices to make and felt less responsible. Like many, I was worried about things like leaving a hole in her education, not knowing where a 6th grader should be. Afraid my expectations would either be too high (more likely) or too low. It took a year or two to get over that. [smile]  

I do also work outside the home but a non-traditional schedule which did help make this all possible. 



I completely agree with you.  I think when you already have a child in school and decide you want to homeschool them, it's easier to transition using an online program.  And there are some really good ones out there.
For us, we started homeschooling our 5 from the beginning.  It wasn't because of dance, but it sure helps.  We would never see our kids if they went to school.  I'm a stay at home mom and own a small photography business so I'm able to be here and be the teacher.  It's been fun working with the kids.  And the flexibility to delve deeper into things they are interested in, etc, has been great.  This past semester we spent 15 weeks just studying World War 2 and next semester we're spending the whole time studying the US Supreme Court.  Among other things of course.  [smile]
0
heidi459

Avatar / Picture

Diamond Member
Registered:
Posts: 6,058
Reply with quote  #37 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle
Am I the only homeschooling dance mom on this forum who doesn't use an online program and does the schooling myself?  Although I should clarify that when they're in high school they do take 1-2 classes per semester at the local community college.  Starting with Spanish 1 and 2.  Just wondering.  [smile]  I've heard great things about some of the online programs.  We just decided that I would do it myself and it has worked out great although THERE ARE DAYS. . . when I want to pull my hair out (or theirs LOL).



I give you a lot of credit, joriebelle.  I was always intrigued by true homeschooling... well before the dance schedule became a concern.  But I knew it just wasn't something I was cut out to do.  Better for all involved that I didn't even try  lol
0
joriebelle

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,388
Reply with quote  #38 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459



I give you a lot of credit, joriebelle.  I was always intrigued by true homeschooling... well before the dance schedule became a concern.  But I knew it just wasn't something I was cut out to do.  Better for all involved that I didn't even try  lol


Aww I bet you would have been fantastic!  

It's definitely been a journey.  I second guess myself all the time, like am I doing a good job preparing them for college, are they learning everything they need to, are we making good memories, etc.
0
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,240
Reply with quote  #39 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle
Am I the only homeschooling dance mom on this forum who doesn't use an online program and does the schooling myself?  Although I should clarify that when they're in high school they do take 1-2 classes per semester at the local community college.  Starting with Spanish 1 and 2.  Just wondering.  [smile]  I've heard great things about some of the online programs.  We just decided that I would do it myself and it has worked out great although THERE ARE DAYS. . . when I want to pull my hair out (or theirs LOL).


I would love to do what you are doing.  Unfortunately, I need to work a 50+ hour a week professional job outside the home.  Doing that and being full-time teacher plus mom, maid, shopper etc. would not be possible for me. 
0
tappinmom

Avatar / Picture

Double Diamond Member
Registered:
Posts: 13,367
Reply with quote  #40 
Joriebelle I give you credit.  We thought about homeschooling when DS was in grade school but I have to work and I knew I did not have the patience for it.  Online school was not so much a thing up here then so you had to pretty much do it all on your own and I just wasn't up to the challenge.
0
Mitzy

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,604
Reply with quote  #41 
Just reading some of these posts makes me feel exhausted and stressed. I feel so lucky to live in a country where there are excellent ballet schools that offer university prep academics as well!
0
joriebelle

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,388
Reply with quote  #42 
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2miracles


I would love to do what you are doing.  Unfortunately, I need to work a 50+ hour a week professional job outside the home.  Doing that and being full-time teacher plus mom, maid, shopper etc. would not be possible for me. 


I totally understand.  Sounds like you are doing a great job though!  You're an amazing mom.
0
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,240
Reply with quote  #43 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle


I totally understand.  Sounds like you are doing a great job though!  You're an amazing mom.


Thanks for you kind words.  I don't know if they are true [smile] but we all do the best we can with the circumstances we are given.
0
dancemom0987

Bronze Member
Registered:
Posts: 22
Reply with quote  #44 
Our family LOVES homeschooling! The best thing for us is the flexibility (our kids can finish up their schoolwork later if needed or they can get it all done before lunch) and it has allowed us more family time. I will say that we are extremely lucky to live in a state with a strong homeschooling community. Homeschooling laws can vastly vary depending on the state you live in, so I would definitely check those out.

Our family doesn't do an online curriculum; we do mostly textbooks (some also come with videos of a teacher teaching the subject for each lesson). The only downside of this is that my DD is in high school now and it's taking her longer to do her school than she used to. I am fine with it, I think DD is just a little frustrated. I know that there are many inline schools in our state though.

If you want to try homeschooling, I think you should go for it!
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.