Register Calendar New Posts

Author Comment

nosilla

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
DD7 will be doing a duet with a 7 year old boy this year. SO initially suggested "Hot for Teacher" which I initially thought could be cute, but after much thought, I am not a fan of my DD dancing to this song.

The boy's mom thought "do you love me" would be cute...I am concerned its over used.

The teacher who we think is choreographing the dance thought Red Riding Hood/Big Bad Wolf theme. The only song i can seem to find is more twangy and not at all hip hoppy. I think this is cute. She told us to keep thinking.

I want something relatively unique. I want it to be fun, but mostly age appropriate.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

KrissisMomLvsDance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
My dd had a small group when she was that age that danced to "Hokey Pokey". I don't know who the artist was, but it had more of a hip hop vibe (even though they performed it as a jazz). It could easily be adapted to a duo and it is not gender specific so would suit for a boy and girl duo - also very age appropriate.

Food for thought - this is not a hip hop, but one of the cutest duos I ever saw for that age was "Rabbit Tango" from "Who Framed Roger Rabbit".
Brianna's Mama

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
What about Hit the road Jack?
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
How about..

dancermom128

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
We had a duo from our studio around that age dance to "Back in Time" by Pit Bull. It was adorable. At that age, age appropriateness is SO important.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #6 
The Puppies havbe some great hip hop music for that age.  DS did Hey Little Mama at that age and did really well and we never heard it anywhere else.

The also have a hip hop version of BINGO.

emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tappinmom
The Puppies havbe some great hip hop music for that age.  DS did Hey Little Mama at that age and did really well and we never heard it anywhere else.

The also have a hip hop version of BINGO.

DD danced to both of these when she was little! 
momtotapcate

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I hear Hey Little Mama a lot.

How about "Who Woke Snow White Up?"  It's the same music as "Who Let the Dogs Out?" (which I always feared would become overused but never did, so that could be an option too)
Psmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 

How about this song from The Rugrats movie.
CenCAdancemom

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tappinmom
The Puppies havbe some great hip hop music for that age.  DS did Hey Little Mama at that age and did really well and we never heard it anywhere else.<BR><BR><A href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY2FbveZ6Xw" rel=nofollow target=_blank>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY2FbveZ6Xw</A><BR><BR>The also have a hip hop version of BINGO.<BR><BR><A href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOuvbosMQjc" rel=nofollow target=_blank>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOuvbosMQjc</A>

My DD6 danced to Bingo last year but as a jazz routine and this year a 6/5 year old trio will be doing hey lil mama as a jazz routine.
dancer1234

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Good for you for saying what you think is appropriate for your DD7     I heard this today and thought it would be a good Hip Hop dance for young ones..    Sorry I can not find it on youtube, but listen to a sample on Amazon 

Do you ever stop by Shine and the Moonbeams.   
Twinkletoesx2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
What about "Just a Friend" by Austin Mahone featuring Flo Rida? Could be super cute! Don't care for "Hot for Teacher" for that age(though I love Van Halen)

I know it is WAY overused but the Paris Bennett version of "My Boyfriends Back" is cute. Younger dd's hip hop class did a dance to it at recital this year.
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrissisMomLvsDance
My dd had a small group when she was that age that danced to "Hokey Pokey". I don't know who the artist was, but it had more of a hip hop vibe (even though they performed it as a jazz). It could easily be adapted to a duo and it is not gender specific so would suit for a boy and girl duo - also very age appropriate.

Food for thought - this is not a hip hop, but one of the cutest duos I ever saw for that age was "Rabbit Tango" from "Who Framed Roger Rabbit".

It may have been the Hokey Pokey by the Puppies. My dd danced to that for jazz at 6 YO.
LexiandAbbysmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
This song may need some editing but if cut correctly it could be really cute for a hip hop boy girl duo. 
dancemom74

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 

@LexiandAbbysmom my DD & DS would LOVE this song. I just might have to share! 

DD12 is totally into the nerd/dork thing!

As for age appropriate (and by that, I mean 7yr olds), have you looked into KidzBop compilations? They have covers of just about all the mainstream songs out there, i.e. LMFAO's Party Rock Anthem or Taio Cruz' Break Your Heart. Our older crew did a group # to the original version. It's a coed crew so it was pretty cute how the teenage boys acted like they were hiding from the girls at the end.

As for Little Red Riding Hood - this is overused in the dance circuit but perhaps you'd still like to use it:

This is for the 3 little pigs but also popular in the dance world:

I'll keep thinking though!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: