Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
not sure if this is allowed, please remove and forgive me if posting this violates a policy

This is a link to a video from the Dancin' Bluebonnets, the team that we had seen last year that just really seemed to have a great positive program (and compared to the "studio" we were at better overall technique, considering it is an 'all star' program and not traditional studio)... give it about :30 until you'll see some of their technique work and examples of pom too

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fdancinbluebonnets%2Fvideos%2F1650897441594941%2F&show_text=0&width=560
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Seems very dance team.  Not focusing on artistry at all but on being exact as a group.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
They are definitely scored on precision as a group so that is part of the goal.
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Nice video. I also LOVE the song they used, lol. 
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I've seen 'all-star' mentioned a few times, what is that? 
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
It's the moniker for teams that compete for certain sanctioned events within a particular organization, one is USASF another is Varsity. In my experience it seemed to have started out with dance as the primary "draw" but has morphed into a primarily cheerleading and hip hop based business. Jazz, lyrical, and pom are still competed, but in my humble opinion cheer and hip hop are the future of "all star" events/promotions.

Basically, all star studios compete at all star sanctioned events and compete for bids to gain the right to compete at end of season events like "worlds" and "summit". It seems as though with regards to jazz/ pom/ lyrical if you want to get a bid, just compete at enough events, eventually you will get it. I would assume that the scoring is similar in some respects but vastly different in others.

What I find interesting is that some all star based studios seem to really be embracing technique and attempting to provide a higher quality experience for their dancers, while others value tricks over technique.

Many people are familiar with the national college and high school championships in Disney every year. These are all star events.

Our experience was really not good. When our family decided it was time to leave the final straw included the fact that we felt our DD was being exploited; points and the good of the team placed over her physical and emotional safety and well being. Technique was never the driving factor, tricks were (safe or not). Dancers at the studio were taught to do only what that studio did well and that studio only did all star style dance well; no substance, no foundation, no building up of a dancer.

That's why I'm sort of curious about other studios... are they all like the one we left? It would seem to an outsider that many are actually striving to bring more of a traditional foundation to their dancers. I thought the DBB might be more like that and out of sheer curiosity wondered how they did it.

Anyway, I think that's probably more of an answer than you were looking for [wink]
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I'd never heard of this All Star dance except for an occasional mention on this forum..  Is this a regional thing perhaps?
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks Noel! I decided to look up USASF members in my state and most are cheerleading organizations. That's probably why I haven't heard of it - we've been immersed almost entirely in the world of ballet for the last 7 years.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Heidi459 I think it is regional by default... meaning it is a dying organization for jazz/ pom and their attempt to add a lyrical/contemporary (yes they mash the two together) is an effort to stay relevant as more and more parents become educated and recognize that a lot was lacking from the programs as far as training. It persists in very small pockets (IMO) due to the few studios who do participate in it... they appear to do very well as darn near all can say that they are "national champions" but again... if you go to enough competitions, regardless of geography, eventually you will get a 'national championship'. They are awarded through each promoter multiple venues a year.

Search any state and you will find primarily cheer, next hip hop, and then you really really have to search to find purely jazz/ lyrical-contemporary/ pom based programs. It was one of my first clues that this was, for our family, fishy.

Edited to add: fishy from a private "studio" based environment. I'm not familiar with the school and college team all star experience and I also suspect its a lot healthier future wise and will continue and thrive. Privately, however, is another story.
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
I'd never heard of this All Star dance except for an occasional mention on this forum..  Is this a regional thing perhaps?

I think it must be. I don't know of any all-star dance studios in our area either. All-star cheer, yes, but not dance.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
PasDeChatMom... it's fairly isolated from the rest of the dance world, particularly the all star "studios". In my opinion one of the biggest disappointments was how it was packaged to appear like solid dance training when in fact it was simply solid all star training, and absolutely nothing more. A child raised up in an environment like the one we left could never cross over to any other dance environment without considerable back tracking. I believe most families and dancers would find the switch overwhelming and discouraging.

It's a nice recreational activity for a child that has only a recreational interest in dance, but if your child is serious about a future in dance, professional or not, our experience showed that all star is no place for you.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
All that said, all star cheer is serious business, highly competitive, and thriving. It would appear someone who can say that they are a national champion in the cheer arm of all star has quite the bragging rights, likewise for someone who can say they are world champions in hip hop. There is a lot of competition and I think cheer technique is fairly straightforward and consistent. Not sure about hip hop.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beccasmom

I think it must be. I don't know of any all-star dance studios in our area either. All-star cheer, yes, but not dance.

Definitely not something you'd be likely to find in New England.  Like you, cheer yes.  But not dance.  We don't have high school dance teams either. And even cheerleading, now that I think about it... although bigger than what it once was, it's nothing like it is in some parts of the country.  
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Leos with no tights.  Even in class, at least, not on class video day.  Sigh.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
dave9988 all star is a very very very different world than studio, and very very very very different from classical ballet. [wink]
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
All that said, all star cheer is serious business, highly competitive, and thriving. It would appear someone who can say that they are a national champion in the cheer arm of all star has quite the bragging rights, likewise for someone who can say they are world champions in hip hop.

Bragging rights really only among those familiar with what it is. There are other very serious, thriving cheer organizations with nationals and "worlds" as well. 

As far as hip hop, I would suspect that All Star hip hop would be more like dance team hip hop and not exactly taken seriously by those in the hip hop industry... but that's just a guess. [smile] 

Anyway, in addition to what's been said, I'm sure they are a excellent group for what they need to do, but those hands were distracting me! 
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
I've only recently learned that all star can also apply to dance. I've known about all star cheer since I was little. (One of those too expensive, too narrow focused activities) At least for cheer it's a higher intensity than other rec and even on a smaller scale, competitive gyms. For dance it's what you'd expect teams to do at college level, highly technical and in-sync.

Locally we have quite a few all star cheer gyms. Only a couple of them also compete dance. Most of the competitive dance groups don't compete all star since as said above, you pretty much can make it to worlds/summit if you go to the right or enough competitions. Some competitions don't allow big gyms to even compete to give smaller gyms a chance. (Nothing to do with hours of instruction.)

At least with most dance competitions there is a distinction between levels based on hours of instruction. While skills can vary between girls, more ours in the studio/gym will improve the group's look as a whole.
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel
PasDeChatMom... it's fairly isolated from the rest of the dance world, particularly the all star "studios". In my opinion one of the biggest disappointments was how it was packaged to appear like solid dance training when in fact it was simply solid all star training, and absolutely nothing more. A child raised up in an environment like the one we left could never cross over to any other dance environment without considerable back tracking. I believe most families and dancers would find the switch overwhelming and discouraging.

It's a nice recreational activity for a child that has only a recreational interest in dance, but if your child is serious about a future in dance, professional or not, our experience showed that all star is no place for you.

I have to agree. Unless they plan on a career as a professional cheerleader for a pro team all star dance isn't going to get you anywhere.
czmcdaniel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #19 
When we were at the All Star Cheer Gym - they DID have a hip-hop dance team.  At one point they wanted to start an All Star Lyrical Team but there wasn't enough interest.  DD ended up doing a lyrical acro solo at the cheer comps.  What we discovered was that the judges they had at those events didn't seem to know alot about dance scoring (she frequently received near perfect scores...and trust- she wasn't even close)  Thankfully it was enough of a draw for her to make the decision to move away from cheer and back to dance....
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #20 
tendumom, if you're interested see if you can find Extreme All Stars (Melbourne Florida), they are really outstanding; concept/ choreography/ skill level/ execution. I feel as though they have a bit of lightning in a bottle and maybe they skew my opinion of all star hip hop, but they are truly incredible to watch.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #21 
DancingEmu, I couldn't agree with you more about your last comment (professional sports team cheerleader).
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #22 
czmcdaniel, yes, I can understand how that would happen.

For a truly recreational dancer who understands the narrow scope that all star exists in I do believe some programs probably are very good. Sadly we only know first hand of our experience and even when taken for exactly what it was, it wasn't even a good all star experience. Lessons learned. I do believe that for an all star experience it would seem that the bluebonnets are doing a lot of things right. Hoping they hit on all routines this weekend.
LexiandAbbysmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #23 
I am wondering if it is more regional based on where there are states with strong dance teams.  The video does look very dance team to me.  In Minnesota dance team is very big.  Many high school teams have ballet and technique instructors.  The state High School League has serious rules on tricks so most dances can't even do a lift above the knees, they can't do flips or aerials as one hand has to be on the ground, etc.  

I am wondering if All Star dance doesn't appear in a state like Minnesota because they have such a high Dance Team emphasis.  Many girls on high school dance teams also compete at a studio but there is clear differences.  In Minnesota the high school competes in Jazz and High Kick (I wish they would add Hip Hop and Pom).  It is the highest participated high school "Girls sport"  and second highest participated high school sport for both boys and girls in the state.  

If you look on YouTube and search Minnesota high school dance team 2017 you will find a lot of great performances.  I think that many of these teams put out the same technique and artistry as this All Star team. Some of the top schools (In my opinion) are Eastview, Maple Grove, Wayzata, Prior Lake, Anoka.  
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #24 
LexiandAbbysmom, that's a lot of great information. I would say that it would be hard for a private, pay to participate, all star program to take root business wise in a state like that. But what a wonderful program and what fantastic support of dance from the schools there !
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Wow ! LexiandAbbysmom, just you tubed Eastview... they put everything our old "studio" ever put out to shame ! Incredible jazz routine from 4 months ago.

I think it is so important to show my DD routines like this, from other teams, other states, other programs. So important to show her how truly enormous the dance world is and how amazing and how  hard working so many programs are.

Thanks again for sharing that !
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.