Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
dancing4ever

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hey everyone! It’s been a while since I posted, but I really needed advice right now.

We’re at competition right now, and DD is competing tomorrow all day. The only problem is, is that she can’t breathe out of her nose whatsoever. She has a horribly stuffy nose and she said her head is just really congested. She is constantly sneezing, and I’m really worried about her.

No flu, we took her to get a flu test this week and it came back negative. It’s just a really nasty cold. I’m just very worried that it’ll affect her dancing a lot, especially with breathing.

Does anybody have any tips on what to do? We’re on a time crunch here, because the competition starts in the morning and it’s really late here. It usually takes her about a week to get rid of a cold, and sadly it started running its course on Tuesday-ish.

I’m really sad for her, and I know she feels miserable. We have no medicine (and DD tends to refuse medicine), but I might have Vick’s somewhere if any of you think that would help tomorrow.

Thank you so much for any advice, I just want DD to feel better fast!
Mitzy

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
In simalar situations, I gave my daughter decongestants to help prevent sinus and ear infections. If her ears are blocked, it could have implications for her hearing and balance. You could ask the concierge for an all night pharmacy if you are in a hotel. I hope she feels better tomorrow. Steam from a hot shower might help. But if she's not well enough to dance, there will be other competitions. Her health is more important.
Motherhem

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
When my daughter is like that I give her Benadryl. It doesn’t make her sleepy and helps get her through. I don’t know her age but my dd took a single pill when she was young so I know it is safe for the littler ones. If she is old enough you could also try mucinex dm. You have to ask for it behind the counter and you have to show your ID to buy it. But that will dry her up enough to perform. Although I agree with Mitzy, health first so if she is too sick she may just need to rest and skip this one.
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
How old is she? Advil Cold and Sinus works wonders for me when I feel like that.
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I disagree with Motherhen! Definitely don't give Benedryl! It is the primary ingredient in most over-the-counter SLEEP aids. Even if her daughter wasn't sleepy, I wouldn't chance it. I would try a hot shower, Vick's, and a shot of Dayquil. And a prayer!
prancer

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #6 
My daughter survived a performance weekend taking DayQuil. But if it’s almost all nasal congestion, nose spray like Afrin could eliminate that symptom for a day.
dancing4ever

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Thank you all for the tips! She used some Vick’s this morning and I ran out and bought a nasal spray earlier. She said it really helped, so thank you all!
negarkidman

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
To clear up the nose I use nasal spray non drowsy to help my kids breath through the nose. Don't over use it since it's not good for the nose. But don't do Benadryl. It will make her super sleepy. 
DanceForFun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
It has been an awful Winter for illness! Let us know how she is!
Motherhem

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #10 
You guys are right. Benadryl makes many people sleepy. I should have said that. It affects my daughter the opposite of most.
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motherhem
You guys are right. Benadryl makes many people sleepy. I should have said that. It affects my daughter the opposite of most.

I just wanted to say I have one of those too. lol. Total shock the first time I gave it to her when she was little, thankfully the doctor did tell me that in some kids that happens.

NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
A little late to the post, but been there and done that. Hope things went ok for your dancer this weekend despite the cold. 
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
My kid can be set off by the slightest allergen and completely plugs her nose and she dry sneezes non stop.  And I mean non-stop.  For HOURS at a time.  What we learned to use was a nasal decongestant spray (preferably one with just aloe and saliene) and stay away from anything like Benadryl as it can affect their balance worse than the stuffy nose.  Once the spray loosens the congestion and clears out a clump of it, they're good to go for at least a few hours.  Works wonders and has been called upon many times over the years.

Good luck to all with kids dancing through illness!  Definitely not easy.
Amomofonedancer

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Cough drops just prior to going on stage will clear her sinuses temporarily.  Nasal spray might help also. I always gave my kids 1/2 the recommended dosage for cold medicine so they have some relief from the congestion.  Never liked giving the full dose because I myself experienced undesirable side effects from cold medicine.  Sudafed made my heart race and Benadryl made me sleepy. If the symptoms are completely masked, they will not rest intermittently and will end up making themselves worse.  I think it is like those football players who get shots to kill knee pain, go out and play and end up with more damage.  So, my goal was to let them feel some of the symptoms so they did not push themselves too much.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motherhem

I'm one of those people too.  Benadryl, Nyquil even Melatonin make me fly high instead of sleep.  I have to be careful what I take especially at night.

Glad your daughter made it through the comp. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.