Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I can't even get into it and it's not a world ender but does anyone have a link to a tutorial with how to measure and use elastic ribbon in a solid loop so that you can criss cross them over the foot and attach without tying ?
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Please do not do this. If I recall, your dd is very young and just starting pointe (maybe), she should be doing her shoes the traditional way. Not only that, but if these are the first pair, the dancer is usually taught how to attach ribbons and elastics when they begin. Additionally, fit should be checked by a teacher before starting. You;d be surprised what will be sold that does not work.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
This is a spare pair we just purchased... she's going out of town and I wanted to send her off with these. I'll heed your advice and just sew them exactly like the fitted pair (those were stitched up by the fitter and are working well).

She's firmly planted at a barre; two hands on as well just to reassure you.

Thank you, Tendumom !
Midge

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
If you mean what I think you mean, I've only seen that done with technique slippers, the elastic would wear through under the foot in a pointe shoe.  You can get away with it in technique shoes if they're split sole because the elastic doesn't touch the ground.  (and it is often frowned upon anyway)
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Midge, one of the girls at DD studio does this with her pointe shoes. I can't describe it well, but the stretch ribbon is attached firmly to both sides as regular ribbons, but is one continuous ribbon. She wrapped the loop around the toe twice then carefully stretched it up to her ankle where it sat just where regularly tied ribbons would sit.

We won't start this any time soon now that I've received a warning about it. Going to be attempting my first ribbons in a short while.

Glad that Tendumom seemed to know about this. Had to buy the ribbon at the small store near our home and the owner, who has been in business quite a while (although she sells only 1 brand of pointe shoes) looked at me like I had sprouted a second head. [wink]
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
DD11 just started pointe two weeks ago and it took me over an hour to sew the ribbons and the elastic. I wanted it to be just perfect. [tongue]

I'm having trouble visualizing what you are describing, though.
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I know you said you won't do this, and it sounds like a bad idea for a beginner, but I would also think changes would be bad before sending them away.

My daughter tried elastic ribbons (sewn the traditional way) on advice from the fitter. 3 seconds into class she knew she hated them and asked me to remove them and sew on the regular ribbon. Another girl in her class loves the elastic ribbon. So you really can't tell what they'll like, and being away from home she may not be in a position to fix it herself.

I'm afraid I also don't see the advantage of slipping on pointe shoes like that. It only takes a few seconds to tie them.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Please new ballet moms - do not sew your kids shoes.  Seriously, it's part of the responsibility of getting to go en pointe.  Kids need to learn what works best for them as far as fit and where to sew.  They won't be able to do that if you continue to do it for them. I never sewed once.  Her life, her responsibility.   (P.S. - I get if you are in a crunch situation, but those rarely happen if you are a planner.  When your kid goes away and has 30 pairs to sew, you aren't going to be there....)
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I confess, I sewed my daughter's first pair of shoes, and there have been very few pairs that I haven't helped with, a little or a lot.

For that first pair, I was very worried that shoes sewn incorrectly would be somehow dangerous.  Also, my daughter is not in the least bit crafty.   She had sewn one (very sad looking) pillow, with assistance, before she was cleared to start pointe.  I couldn't imagine letting her second attempt at sewing a $100 pair of shoes.  I sewed the first pair, and I sewed her first pair of Gaynor's a few months ago when she switched.  She has sewn a pair or two completely on her own.  It takes hours for her to do it.  Usually I join in and help after she has one of the elastics done, sewing a ribbon or two and keeping her company.  She's gone through a lot of shoes in only 3 years on pointe, definitely more than 20 pairs, perhaps 30.  Its been kind of nice to sit with her working on something together.  She truly dislikes sewing her shoes so I imagine we will get to work together on them until she leaves home or stops wearing pointe shoes.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
ggsmith - you are sooooooo much nicer than I am!![smile]  DD got really fast when she had to do it on her own...., but I like the idea of keeping her company, especially since I don't get to see my dd much anymore!
AnnaBeav

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerinamom13
Please new ballet moms - do not sew your kids shoes.  Seriously, it's part of the responsibility of getting to go en pointe.  Kids need to learn what works best for them as far as fit and where to sew.  They won't be able to do that if you continue to do it for them. I never sewed once.  Her life, her responsibility.

Really, if the dancer can't sew the ribbons then they should not be dancing en pointe. 
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Your daughter will not ruin the pointe shoes by sewing them badly.  I know they are satin and pretty but they can't be ruined by bad sewing.  Worst case is that they have to pick the stitches out and sew them again (or they come apart during class so they have to sew them again).
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
We are one month into pointe. Using the prepackaged needle and thread kit that the store sold me I still had a terrible time getting the very large needle through the pointe shoe. A thimble alone was not sufficient as I nearly stabbed myself multiple times. Now I am no seamstress, but hand sewing I have done more than my fair share. So, is anyone willing to share with me what size needle they use? My instincts said that even though this was a pre package kit The needle was simply too large in diameter. Standard issue hand sewing my daughter would be fine with, but I had to use so much force with this needle I would be hesitant to handed over to her. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
We (because as I admitted above, still helping) use a thin sharp needle and waxed dental floss.  This seems to work fine.  The Gaynor shoes I had a lot of trouble with.  They are very hard to penetrate and the lining and the satin are welded together.

With the Gaynor shoes, as long as I don't try to go in and out with the needle at the same and just push the needle through the shoe from one direction and then back from the other side, it works.  A also try to use a thimble but I've never really developed that skill.  DD sits at the table so she can use the table to push the needle through when she has a problem.

I try to make the thread as in-obtrusive as possible.  DD just wants the shoes to stay together and is less particular about looks.  Getting the ribbons and elastic in the right place for the Gaynor shoes was tricky and we had to take them apart a few times.  All those holes!  They still looked fine from a distance (on stage.)

tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 

Is she wearing Gaynor Minden pointe shoes? Those are the only ones dd ever had that were so difficult to sew that I needed to do them (the first pair, she tried them again during an SI and obviously sewed the herself... and still hated them). 

You should have no hesitation. If she is old enough to wear them, she is old enough to sew. Period. No ifs, ands or buts. If she's not old enough to sew them or at least get started with sewing them, then she is not ready to be en pointe. Many schools begin the first pointe class with a sewing session, something I wish dd's school had done tbh. 

We've use the Bunheads kit for years and used the needle that came with it. It's larger but firm. DD started using it at 11. Full disclosure, I did help her often through the years, especially preparing for summer intensives when she'd prep 6 pairs for the summer. I would always sew about 2 pairs while she did a single shoe. [tongue] Today, she does so much to her shoes to prep them to be the way she likes them. When she was home earlier this month, I saw that she does now sew as fast as I do.  Necessity is the mother of invention, I guess. 

Very surprised that you were advised to by 2 pairs of shoes this new into pointe. Their feet change (not just growth in size) and they start to learn what they need in a shoe which may or may not be what they were fitted into at first. Many can wear that first pair for at least a few months (not talking about those who get a whole year out of a first pair.. dd did not and I resent those folks! LOL)

Nonetheless, you are in the learning stage. There's a learning curve to all this and you will soon be a pro at sewing and so will she! Next pair, get her to at least do the ribbons. 

Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Thank you all for the replies! I hate being on my phone because I can't thumbs up anything LOL. It's also more difficult to go back and see what someone has said to adequately reply.

Tendumom No one told us to purchase a second pair. It was a decision that we made so that she could have a travel set and her first pair at home so that if anything happens during travel, say a spill for example, she would not be stuck without a pair of shoes at all.

While the amount of time she will spend en pointe at her up and coming intensives will be necessarily brief, it will be every day of the week and I figured she can switch shoes out.

Here in Florida hot and sweaty everything comes with the territory! Giving shoes a day to air out will make everyone happy LOL.

Not GM shoes. But the needle diameter was so large that when I would pierce just the inner layer of the shoe and pull through at least half of the time it actually tore the interlining if that makes sense? Granted the first time I did it my stitch was probably too narrow, but even when I made a larger stitch it would still tear which I figured would make the elastic more likely to loosen up and come out so I wound up sewing along the seam line of the entire shoe. From all the way into all the way out and back again countless times!

It will be nice when I am able to be an experienced voice helping others out! DD is already aware that she will be learning how to sew her own point shoes.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
I hear you on the humidity thing! Dd did an intensive in Florida once and thought she would go through more shoes, but the studios were well air conditioned! Same in TX. She went through more at home in the Northeast where everything is not as heavily air conditioned!

Your post reminded me of a family who made their dd buy her own pointe shoes. The poor thing spilled a can of iced tea all over one pair... but it turned out they were fine once they dried, just stained. She was a little thing who weighed nothing and those stained shoes lasted months in the end! 

Try the Bunhead's Stitch Kit. They have them on Discount Dance. Some people also prefer dental floss to thread BTW. (It's what we used when I was a kid)
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Thank you Tendumom. The fitter put the fear of death in us about getting the shoes wet and when it rains down here everything can get soaked through even in a nice sealed up dance bag.
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
My DD is old enough for pointe, but terrified of needles. So I should make her stay in technique shoes until she "gets over it?"

She won't even use steak knives. She cries when I have to put safety pins in her clothes.

Why should her dance education suffer from fear of sharp things? I don't mind sewing them. And eventually, she'll get over it. And then I will teach her.

ETA: my DD is clearly not going away for several weeks at this point. And she's only on her second pair of shoes ever. So we have some time to sort this all out.
dancer456

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Wait- for the OP, by "stretch ribbon", do you mean elastics? My eldest DD used to make a weird loop thing with the elastics (it looped, but did not cross) and sew the ribbons in the traditional fashion. Otherwise, I cannot understand what you mean - how would the ribbon wrap around the toe?
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #21 
The single loop stretch ribbon thing the OP is talking about is so confusing unless you can see it on video. The ballet mistress at my daughter's ballet school requested that some of her students sew the ribbons that way for Nutcracker. It is really hard to describe - basically it is a piece of stretch ribbon that has both sides sewn onto the pointe shoe - then you loop it under your foot, twist it, loop it a second time then pull it all up to your ankle. It was the cause of much stress and anxiety for me until my daughter had one of her friend's videotape the process. 
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PasDeChatMom
The single loop stretch ribbon thing the OP is talking about is so confusing unless you can see it on video. The ballet mistress at my daughter's ballet school requested that some of her students sew the ribbons that way for Nutcracker. It is really hard to describe - basically it is a piece of stretch ribbon that has both sides sewn onto the pointe shoe - then you loop it under your foot, twist it, loop it a second time then pull it all up to your ankle. It was the cause of much stress and anxiety for me until my daughter had one of her friend's videotape the process. 

Often used for quick change situations.......
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.