Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
BrenDancer

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hello everybody! It's been a while since I've posted, but I have a question about pointe shoes. DD11 have been on pointe for about a year now. We have gone through 3 pairs of Russian Pointe Brava shoes since she started. This is the only shoe we have any experience in. She has quite good feet, and her shoes started to get soft quicker than expected for her first time. But after the first pair, we learned the magic of jet glue and are able to greatly prolong the life of her shoes. The box is where she says it gets soft first, so we jet glue the box. She was recently changed to Bloch Dramatica pointe shoes and we really like them, but they have been broken in and it's time to jet glue. These shoes have a built in "cushion" or gel pad inside the box. How do you get glue these shoes? I'm scared to rip it out, but will if advised. I just didn't want to ruin them before I got advice. Do I just have to live with not being able to jet glue and my wallet getting lighter? I'm even more nervous about having to buy shoes a lot more frequently because I have heard Bloch shoes are known to be way softer than Russian Pointe. Help!! Any tips? Thanks in advance!
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I'm no expert... if the cushions are the same kind my DD's Mirella (Bloch company) had, like a little oval sponge, We've used a butter knife to remove them. Some people remove them as soon as they get a new pair. If you want to put them back I'm sure you can glue them back after you jet glue? 

My DD started pointe at age 11 and we had to get a new pair every 3 months not because they were dead... but because my DD outgrew them so quick. She killed a pair for the first time and they were her 6th pair. Your DD might start going through a growth spurt and you might need to buy more often than you'd like.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 

Can you glue on the outside? 

BrenDancer

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom

Thanks for the advice! And I don't think she will be going through a growth spurt anytime soon. Her feet are a size 9 and a half and haven't grown since 9. But if the time comes, I will of course pay up and buy her as many pointe shoes as she needs. There just might be a grimace on my face as I do it!
BrenDancer

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:

I wasn't aware that was done, but I see no reason why not. Does your daughter?
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Don't glue the outside of the box.  It will ruin the satin.  

I'm not familiar with the Bloch shoes, but do check with the manufacturer or perhaps the store where you purchased to make sure there are no strange synthetic materials that would react badly with jet glue. 
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I know a lot of young dancers use jet glue, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's good for the shoes.  So for example, Jet gluing the shank might make it slightly tougher to bend, but it will also dry it out and make it more brittle.  So cracks may develop, and it wouldn't be unheard of for the thing to simply snap in half.

As expensive as these darn shoes are, they are not built to last.

tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 

DD cuts the satin away from the tips as soon as she possible can. Sometimes she will darn the edges, sometimes not. She does apply her jet glue to the outside of the shoe, but she doesn't just glue her boxes as far as I know. She uses spray shellac for the inside of the shoe. 

Older dancers can be a good resource for how to keep shoes alive safely. 

I've never heard anyway jet glue is not necessarily good for the shoes before. DD's company not only provides pointe shoes, ribbons and elastics, they provide glue as well. (She's obviously not in a company like NYCB that provides dozens a year.. I think she gets 20 for the entire season, so she still has to make them last.).  I think it takes time to learn when and how to use jet glue. One of the best ways to help shoes to last longer is to buy more than a pair at a time and rotate them. Not a nice thing for the wallet when they are still learning and changing, but I did quickly learn that if one pair lasts 3 weeks, 2 pairs might last 8 weeks. (Numbers chosen at random to illustrate that two pairs rotated can last longer than 2 pairs worn back to back.. if that makes sense)

ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrenDancer
Hello everybody! It's been a while since I've posted, but I have a question about pointe shoes. DD11 have been on pointe for about a year now. We have gone through 3 pairs of Russian Pointe Brava shoes since she started. This is the only shoe we have any experience in. She has quite good feet, and her shoes started to get soft quicker than expected for her first time. But after the first pair, we learned the magic of jet glue and are able to greatly prolong the life of her shoes. The box is where she says it gets soft first, so we jet glue the box. She was recently changed to Bloch Dramatica pointe shoes and we really like them, but they have been broken in and it's time to jet glue. These shoes have a built in "cushion" or gel pad inside the box. How do you get glue these shoes? I'm scared to rip it out, but will if advised. I just didn't want to ruin them before I got advice. Do I just have to live with not being able to jet glue and my wallet getting lighter? I'm even more nervous about having to buy shoes a lot more frequently because I have heard Bloch shoes are known to be way softer than Russian Pointe. Help!! Any tips? Thanks in advance!

Honestly, and this is not a criticism, but you should have her really work on pulling up and not sitting in her shoes. Sitting in shoes wears out the box much faster.  DD always jet glued the shank but never the box because she didn't need to.  Your dd will learn to use her feet better as she gains more experience (she's still young), but really working on not sitting will prolong the life of the box.  I wouldn't jet glue the outside of the box - could get sticky or slippery.  Have you googled jet gluing the outside?  Just not sure about that.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:

I've never heard anyway jet glue is not necessarily good for the shoes before.

In most cases, I believe it works out OK.  Especially if not applied to the shank until they are "already going" anyway.

iceberg*lover

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerinamom13

Honestly, and this is not a criticism, but you should have her really work on pulling up and not sitting in her shoes. Sitting in shoes wears out the box much faster.  DD always jet glued the shank but never the box because she didn't need to.  Your dd will learn to use her feet better as she gains more experience (she's still young), but really working on not sitting will prolong the life of the box.  I wouldn't jet glue the outside of the box - could get sticky or slippery.  Have you googled jet gluing the outside?  Just not sure about that.

See, my daughter was told that when she was wearing out/breaking her shanks quickly it was because she was sitting in her shoes. When she was able to not sit in her shoes, the boxes wore out more quickly then.

ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Opposite for my dd.  Her feet got so strong, she was breaking her shanks left and right but no real box issues.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.