Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
dave9988

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #51 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julzso

With her commercial interest, she gets an instant gratification at these classes/in these environments.  I know she's young, but I do try to explain short term versus long term aspirations.  I've got many more years to go, I guess I just wait to see how it plays out.  

Oooof, were I asked to provide two words that do not describe dance training, my choice would be "instant gratification."
5nfeyn9h

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #52 
I think the important thing is to make sure that your daughter is enrolled in a school where teachers with a real dance resume work. You are fortunate to be in NYC because there is a lot of very poor dance training throughout the country and parents often do not know the difference! Look at where the teachers have danced, not just trained. If they went to Julliard, NYU or Purchase and have worked with legitimate companies, they know of what they teach! If not...stay away! Larry Rhodes (chair of Julliard) once told me, "It takes as long to become a bad dancer as a good one!"
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #53 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5nfeyn9h
I think the important thing is to make sure that your daughter is enrolled in a school where teachers with a real dance resume work. You are fortunate to be in NYC because there is a lot of very poor dance training throughout the country and parents often do not know the difference! Look at where the teachers have danced, not just trained. If they went to Julliard, NYU or Purchase and have worked with legitimate companies, they know of what they teach! If not...stay away! Larry Rhodes (chair of Julliard) once told me, "It takes as long to become a bad dancer as a good one!"

So you registered for this site for the sole purpose of telling another new member what to look for in NYC for training?  And you mean to tell me that the only teachers worth going to are the ones who both graduated from Juilliard, NYU, or Purchase AND have worked with dance companies?  So what if someone attended one of the other amazing dance programs across the country AND worked with dance companies, are they not ok?  Or what if a Juilliard graduate has not worked with a dance company yet?  Still not ok?
tinydancers

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #54 
Quote:
Larry Rhodes (chair of Julliard) once told me, "It takes as long to become a bad dancer as a good one!"

[rolleyes] 
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #55 
Quote:

My goodness, so if a dancer/teacher hasn't attended one of the 3 programs you mentioned they aren't worth taking class from? Fascinating. Please do go on as I'm sure the multitude of parents on here with children in other top programs throughout the country would surely like to know this now so that they can pull them out of the programs they are attending. Gosh, of the 3 you posted my own DD is only applying to 1. She will surely be SOL if she doesn't get in.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #56 
My kid's teacher is from Brazil, she must not be worth taking classes from [rolleyes]
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #57 
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatball77
My kid's teacher is from Brazil, she must not be worth taking classes from [rolleyes]

And DD took all those years of ballet from Russian teachers... such a waste of money!
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #58 
Trolling ... Trolling. .. Trolling
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #59 
Quote:

Gosh - this post makes me glad my dd is already in a professional company.  Maybe the teachers at SAB and Suzanne Farrell herself, weren't good enough? I'm not sure any of them attended those schools. 
dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #60 
Quote:

There are quality dance teachers all over the country and world, most of which no one has ever heard of. It doesn't take a Juilliard education or a history of being a principle dancer at a major company to make a great teacher. It takes someone who loves dance, loves children, and has a solid foundation which can be achieved many, many ways. Every single year students with varied training from all over the world get accepted to those schools and the dozens of others turning out dance professionals. I hope no one on this board ever gets the idea for a second that if they don't live in the right place or have access to certain schools or teachers that their dancers are doomed to a subpar education.

(Edited for snark)
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #61 
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2DanceLoves
Trolling ... Trolling. .. Trolling

They see me trolling... They hating...
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #62 
Quote:

You are totally messing with us, right? Just having a good old time being inflammatory, narrow minded, and arrogant? 
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #63 
Well to be fair to our new friend... I think she's made a legitimate point.  There is a lot of poor dance training out there.  And a lot of parents who don't know the difference.  I'm not sure she was suggesting that you can only find good training in nyc.  

As far as the rest?  I can't help you there 5nfeyn9h.  You're on your own [smile]
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #64 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
Well to be fair to our new friend... I think she's made a legitimate point.  There is a lot of poor dance training out there.  And a lot of parents who don't know the difference.  I'm not sure she was suggesting that you can only find good training in nyc.  

As far as the rest?  I can't help you there 5nfeyn9h.  You're on your own [smile]

Oh for sure, but there's also a lot of crappy training in NYC, too. I don't know. Our AD/ballet teacher did go to Juilliard. But some of my dd's favorites did not and it doesn't mean we are clueless about it. It's just pretty insulting.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #65 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Girls

Oh for sure, but there's also a lot of crappy training in NYC, too. I don't know. Our AD/ballet teacher did go to Juilliard. But some of my dd's favorites did not and it doesn't mean we are clueless about it. It's just pretty insulting.

Of course there is.  My point is I don't think she (?) was intending to say that ALL training in nyc is amazing and ALL training outside of nyc is bad.  I think maybe people are reading more into the post than was intended.  
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #66 
Maybe, but I think there's an arrogance to the post that is not just a matter of reading into it and looking for trouble.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #67 
Just because you went to a good school or have a great performance resume doesn't mean you're a good teacher and you can not have much of a resume and be a fantastic teacher.  My daughter received better training at the school run by a woman who had no performance experience at all outside of college (and not a super selective one) than at the studio run by a former principal whose original training was in Russia. 
dave9988

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #68 
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatball77
Just because you went to a good school or have a great performance resume doesn't mean you're a good teacher and you can not have much of a resume and be a fantastic teacher.  My daughter received better training at the school run by a woman who had no performance experience at all outside of college (and not a super selective one) than at the studio run by a former principal whose original training was in Russia. 

I completely agree with the above, in both dance and other areas of life.

At the same time, I do appreciate a school with at least one faculty member possessing national/international stage experience or training.  Good for networking, good for providing "real world" insight.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #69 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave9988

I completely agree with the above, in both dance and other areas of life.

At the same time, I do appreciate a school with at least one faculty member possessing national/international stage experience or training.  Good for networking, good for providing "real world" insight.

I have to agree.  And maybe that's one of the reasons I'm not so turned off by that poster's comment.  Obviously professional stage experience doesn't automatically make someone a great teacher but if you can find a great teacher w/that experience...especially if it's more recent experience... there's so much value in that.  Without it a teacher has to rely a great deal on theory & hearsay... how they've been told it is/should be... & how they think it is/should be. With it there's that thing we call "reality".  I've seen the differences play out firsthand... the approach/advice/attitude of dd's current teachers (all 4 w/extensive stage experience) vs that of those in the past w/o.  The value that real world experience a successful professional performer brings to the table, in my opinion, really shouldn't be minimized.

And IDK.. I'll be honest...I'm actually not impressed by a degree when it comes to dance teachers.  Because imo a great dance teacher is not created in a classroom setting.   So, given the choice? Without any other information to go on? I'd choose the teacher w/the extensive performance experience & no degree over the one w/the degree w/o extensive performance experience [& before I get tarred and feathered, I'm NOT saying I'd be right, I'm just saying if I had to make a choice, that's how I would choose [smile] ].
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #70 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julzso
Good evening.  I hope this post finds everyone well.  After a short hiatus, I see this thread has picked up a little steam.  I appreciate the engagement but have to admit to having a visceral reaction to some of the posts.  I don't want to make any judgements or false assumptions, so I am posting this response for the sake of clarity.  

I'll begin by apologizing if I violated some unspoken criteria for an introduction post.  I was really happy to find such a group.  No one told me about it.  I did a random google search using dance mom and support, and this website popped up.  I poked around a little and decided to join.  In my exuberance I wanted to share and be a little more open than merely saying hello and where I'm from in my introduction.  I didn't want to be too wordy, so I gave a timeline of my journey; what we've experienced thus far and where we're at.   . . . I was so hoping to learn from people and gain insight and offer support if I can.  I'm not sure if I can use this site to the best of my ability if my username is attached to negativity, or a circus around a post gone wrong.  I'll reply to the few questions/comments that appeared in my inbox and hopefully I don't have to leave this group.  Thank you for your time and patience.

Julzso, I went back and re-read your introduction and nothing you wrote was wrong there.  As you've probably noticed, there are a few people here who are always quick to jump on people and I am so sorry you had to experience that because it wasn't fair.  I feel your hurt and frustration because it's happened to me and it's still happening to me.  I've been accused of lying so many times already and it's ridiculous.  Always with the excuse that there have been fake people here on the boards on the past but I'm sorry - there's no excuse for it.  Please know that there are many positive people here as well and just try hold on to that.  Glad to have you here and please don't leave or stop posting because of a few negative Nellie's.  You seem like a really nice person and I'd hate to see you leave.
DanceTumbleCheerMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #71 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle

Julzso, I went back and re-read your introduction and nothing you wrote was wrong there.  As you've probably noticed, there are a few people here who are always quick to jump on people and I am so sorry you had to experience that because it wasn't fair.  I feel your hurt and frustration because it's happened to me and it's still happening to me.  I've been accused of lying so many times already and it's ridiculous.  Always with the excuse that there have been fake people here on the boards on the past but I'm sorry - there's no excuse for it.  Please know that there are many positive people here as well and just try hold on to that.  Glad to have you here and please don't leave or stop posting because of a few negative Nellie's.  You seem like a really nice person and I'd hate to see you leave.

Joribelle.... there have been fake people here, and one affected me directly because they used a screen name that was extremely similar to mine with inflated versions of my own story, so that people here doubted me, luckily these wonderful ladies realized what was going on and realized I am the real deal, not a faker.  

That said.   I am sorry to hijack a post, but I have to say this.   If you want to be accepted on this board, you have to be able to be open to the criticism and accept that others will have differing views and experiences.    That is the beauty of a group like this.   My daughters have had amazing training in Dance, Gymnastics and Cheerleading, and most of it came from a small studio/gym in podunk middle of nowhere eastern Utah.  Now that we are on the east coast its continuing, but I will not discount where we came from.    You need to get off your high horse and accept that maybe you are not the know all for every topic.  

Rant over.   
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #72 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceTumbleCheerMom

Joribelle.... there have been fake people here, and one affected me directly because they used a screen name that was extremely similar to mine with inflated versions of my own story, so that people here doubted me, luckily these wonderful ladies realized what was going on and realized I am the real deal, not a faker.  

That said.   I am sorry to hijack a post, but I have to say this.   If you want to be accepted on this board, you have to be able to be open to the criticism and accept that others will have differing views and experiences.    That is the beauty of a group like this.   My daughters have had amazing training in Dance, Gymnastics and Cheerleading, and most of it came from a small studio/gym in podunk middle of nowhere eastern Utah.  Now that we are on the east coast its continuing, but I will not discount where we came from.    You need to get off your high horse and accept that maybe you are not the know all for every topic.  

Rant over.   

None of us is the know-it-all for every topic. That's what great about this board - everyone has something to offer.  I have never claimed to know it all.

There is also nothing wrong with criticism when it's given in the right way but I have seen so many newbies, including myself in the short time I've been here, be attacked relentlessly and in the completely wrong spirit.  If you are confused and want someone to clarify that is one thing, but to continually always choose the negative side to look at things is just plain wrong.  And I'll continue to say that and stand up for the new people here who have done nothing wrong but simply want to get some information and advice from other dance moms, or maybe just want to chat.  Nothing wrong with that at all.  I'm so tired of the nastiness here that doesn't have to be.  Why things can't be discussed in a respectful manner is beyond me.  It's some of you that need to get off your high horse.
DanceTumbleCheerMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #73 
Usually only happens when others have stories that are very unbelievable or suspicious

purplerain

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #74 
Welcome  from a fellow New Yorker[biggrin]
Dancingdd

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #75 
DD9 is now at a school that would be described as primarily ballet with other genres available. I've met so many moms that have their kids doing broadway or off broadway shows. We are in NJ but close to NYC. I am finally passed the shock of it. And after talking to one mom I understood more. They do it until about 12 and then they can't anymore because they look too old for the part etc. but they have fun and manage to still get their homework and sleep in and all their other dance classes. I actually felt badly for DD that I wasn't helping her pursue this path because she looooves to perform. But I know she can't handle it. She needs a lot of sleep and she has learning disabilities so homework takes longer and is never done independently. Plus I work and don't have the energy, money, or time to drive her into the city to rehearse.
What I'm saying is kudos to you for having the ability to support your daughter in whatever she wants to do. I don't see anything wrong with it if she's the kind of child that can handle it.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: