Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
heidi459

Avatar / Picture

Diamond Member
Registered:
Posts: 6,036
Reply with quote  #26 
I'd love to know the name of the studio.  You could consider it a public service announcement.
0
competitionmom

Novice Member
Registered:
Posts: 8
Reply with quote  #27 
Trust me we already talked with DT/so. They said no solos with braces. Apparently they have a studio handbook that states it is against the rules? I was never given they hand book and didn't know it existed until now. The braces "Prevent the child from having a professional career."  Im so mad at the SO/DT I could scream. And as we speak DD is crying because she thinks 'she needs to give up dance to look like a freak' anyways thanks for the support. 

Also No one would know the studio. It is super small and about and hour away from our house. They are super selective in their competition team and win almost everywhere. WE were surprised when we found that DD had been selected for the team.

Im already researching new studios. We might need to crawl back to our old one just to finish out this season. 
0
3girls

High Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 681
Reply with quote  #28 

Ok, now I have heard it all.............

0
Sabrina

Avatar / Picture

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,851
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by competitionmom
Trust me we already talked with DT/so. They said no solos with braces. Apparently they have a studio handbook that states it is against the rules? I was never given they hand book and didn't know it existed until now. The braces "Prevent the child from having a professional career."  Im so mad at the SO/DT I could scream. And as we speak DD is crying because she thinks 'she needs to give up dance to look like a freak' anyways thanks for the support. 

Also No one would know the studio. It is super small and about and hour away from our house. They are super selective in their competition team and win almost everywhere. WE were surprised when we found that DD had been selected for the team.

Im already researching new studios. We might need to crawl back to our old one just to finish out this season. 


If this studio is super selective, we'd surely recognize the name.  Especially since we have a pretty vocal group from NJ up to Mass and you're in CT, right?

I, for one, would love to know the name.
0
competitionmom

Novice Member
Registered:
Posts: 8
Reply with quote  #30 
I don't feel comfortable putting that on the internet. If SO found out....... 
0
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,634
Reply with quote  #31 
Oh yes if it's a studio in CT that wins everywhere I would most certainly know the name. Never heard of a studio not allowing braces, and something tells me I still haven't .
0
competitionmom

Novice Member
Registered:
Posts: 8
Reply with quote  #32 
I came here for some support and advice. Now i feel rejected like you don't believe me. What Im telling you is true and I don't feel comfortable telling you the studio name. Anyway lesson learned won't see me around here much longer. 
0
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,606
Reply with quote  #33 
Why would braces as young kid impact having a professional dance career?
Why would no one have heard of your studio and yet you win everywhere? Maybe you could post the general area and someone might chime in knowing what you are talking about.

We have dance moms from all over on here and from countless types of studios, and yet this "no braces" rule isn't even remotely fathomable to most of us. It doesn't make good business sense for an SO to implement that kind of rule, and wearing braces has never been a factor for most dancers at competitions.
0
anotherdancemom

Avatar / Picture

High Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 597
Reply with quote  #34 
That's just ridiculous.
0
cndb

Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 480
Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermom128
Oh yes if it's a studio in CT that wins everywhere I would most certainly know the name. Never heard of a studio not allowing braces, and something tells me I still haven't .


Lol

I think the northeast has had too much snow this winter and cabin fever might be taking over [smile]
0
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,130
Reply with quote  #36 
This one doesn't pass the sniff test for me.  Either the child repeated it to mom incorrectly, or it's just not true.  Braces HELP you toward a professional career by improving your smile.

As to everyone saying braces don't affect scores, I'm not so sure that's entirely true.  Sure, the judges can't see them, but they also can't see any beautiful white between those vibrantly painted lips. I think too that many kids with braces, especially in the early days, can't quite bring themselves to fully smile.  DD got her braces off in early January and the first time she ran each of her solos after that, the choreographer commented on how happy and upbeat she'd looked, how expressive her face had been, etc..  DD said she really hadn't done anything differently.  Made me wonder if it was the natural teeth that had made a difference.

Am I saying 'don't get braces'.  Lord, no.  Get them.  The boost to DD's confidence when she got them off and saw what she now looked like was indescribable.  She'll have a beautiful smile to face the world.  And everyone who says braces are prevalent in their studio at this age, totally agree.  Our studio too.  Seems everyone has them.  

Is this studio owner nuts if she actually has such a policy.  Yup.  Run fast and far.
0
tendumom

Avatar / Picture

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,187
Reply with quote  #37 
That is true, kmpmom. I do remember that one of dd's friends, a very talented young lady who was the "star" of dd's former studio, had issues with her smile when she wore braces. She was very self conscious. I do not recall that translating to dance. 

And, living near NYC and seeing children who are actively employed in the performing arts, I actually DO see children with braces. To say that a child in competitive dance should not have visible braces is ridiculous. Competitive dance is not professional dance by any stretch of the imagination. 

Sounds to me like a SO that is crazier than the TV persona of Abby Lee Miller. Even her kids have had braces. 
0
Psmom

Avatar / Picture

Diamond Member
Registered:
Posts: 5,790
Reply with quote  #38 
Quote:
Originally Posted by competitionmom
I don't feel comfortable putting that on the internet. If SO found out....... 


You've got nothing to lose since she already pulled your dd from competing but she does. You can count on this group backing you up if a studio really banned your 13 year old from competing due to braces And you can bet someone here will know your team if they win everywhere. People here have been absolutely everywhere
0
My2DanceLoves

Avatar / Picture

Diamond Member
Registered:
Posts: 5,409
Reply with quote  #39 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by competitionmom
I don't feel comfortable putting that on the internet. If SO found out....... 
You've got nothing to lose since she already pulled your dd from competing but she does. You can count on this group backing you up if a studio really banned your 13 year old from competing due to braces And you can bet someone here will know your team if they win everywhere. People here have been absolutely everywhere


I agree.  Also if your avatar picture is one of your pictures and not something you lifted off the internet , you have already outed yourself.
0
dancedaughters

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,686
Reply with quote  #40 
I think the original story is probably fiction or a misunderstanding, but I'll play along anyway.  
I do think braces limit some professional opportunities.  My DD has auditioned for some adult theater roles and the fact that she has braces has kept her from being hired - we think.  They never actually tell you why you weren't cast so it's just a guess, but if I were considering casting her as a 20 year old, the braces would be the thing that would hold me back.  But that's a reason to have the braces now and not when she really is 20.

But as unbelievable as this story is, it does touch on some issues that have come up before in other ways.  Does everything that might negatively affect a score need to be regulated/banned by the studio?  There have been conversations about studios not allowing a child to wear glasses, not allowing straps on costumes, not allowing bras, etc.  

My kid is dancing a solo with a cast on her wrist this weekend.  I think that might affect her score.  If the studio told her she couldn't do the dance, my head might explode.
0
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,396
Reply with quote  #41 
If this isn't bull, then it is time to look for a new studio.  This one has just shown you that their first priority is NOT dance and is NOT your child.  It IS about winning and their perceived notions of what it takes to win...which is vastly uninformed.  Since you are new, the move shouldn't be all that traumatic.
0
heidi459

Avatar / Picture

Diamond Member
Registered:
Posts: 6,036
Reply with quote  #42 

The suggestion that an SO wouldn't allow a dancer w/braces to compete is silly enough on it's own but then add the details.  Your child comes into the studio w/braces & this SO suggests you go back to the orthodontist & have her mouthful of metal removed & replaced by Invisilign? On what planet?  And the "handbook" specifically states that braces prevent a "professional career". Your kid is 13.  Braces are temporary. This is meaningless amateur dance competition.  What does one have to do with the other?

So really, if you want to continue to claim that this is true, telling us the name of the studio really would be doing others a favor.  And if you're on your way out of the studio because of this supposed ridiculous rule, the nutty SO's feelings are a non issue. People are always coming here looking for advice on studios & this would be important info to have if someone comes on here looking for a studio in Ct.  Ct is not some remote island in the South Pacific.  A lot of us live in small town New England (myself included, not all that far from the Ct border as a matter of fact).

We'd all like to believe you & welcome you to the forum but right now the question is a little too out there... & your response to our very reasonable suspicion only makes it even less believable.  If you're for real please do come back.  If you're not, thanx for the laugh:-)

0
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,634
Reply with quote  #43 
Really at this point you've already outed yourself if anyone is here from your studio. You have the new kid who just got braces who was just told she can no longer do the solo. Wouldn't take a brain surgeon from your studio to figure out who you are. 
0
MinnDanceMom

High Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 917
Reply with quote  #44 
I can honestly say that braces don't affect scores in my area. Some of the most talented dancers in my area have braces or have had braces and there was no change in their dancing before or after they had braces. They won first overall plenty during their time with braces. I don't think looks have much to do with how someone scores at a dance competition. It may affect a professional career in dance (or more likely modeling or acting), but a professional career is so far removed from competing at dance competitions that it is not even funny. I also don't think someone's "smile" has anything to do with how they score on a solo at 13. But that is just based on my observation. Dancers with braces can and do convey all sorts of emotions, including a happy emotion. This topic is ridiculous. What's next, beauty pageants to determine who is attractive enough to compete. [wink]

All of this being said, I do know of dancers who chose to do Invisalign because they did not like the look of metal braces. They may have done this because of some perceived sense that judges would penalize them because of their braces. However, that decision was more based on some internal beliefs rather than reality.

There are also some people who are insecure and don't want to look "different." If braces affect their dancing, that is because of their own insecurity and, again, not based on reality.
0
Klba37

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,369
Reply with quote  #45 
This is way out of line. At least 1/2 of our company has braces between 9 and 16. I would let them know I need my money back.
0
tappinmom

Avatar / Picture

Double Diamond Member
Registered:
Posts: 13,359
Reply with quote  #46 
So according to the studio/SO having braces as a teenager will affect your professional career but having crooked teeth as an adult will not?  That's insane.
0
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,130
Reply with quote  #47 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnDanceMom
I can honestly say that braces don't affect scores in my area. Some of the most talented dancers in my area have braces or have had braces and there was no change in their dancing before or after they had braces. They won first overall plenty during their time with braces. I don't think looks have much to do with how someone scores at a dance competition. It may affect a professional career in dance (or more likely modeling or acting), but a professional career is so far removed from competing at dance competitions that it is not even funny. I also don't think someone's "smile" has anything to do with how they score on a solo at 13. But that is just based on my observation. Dancers with braces can and do convey all sorts of emotions, including a happy emotion. This topic is ridiculous. What's next, beauty pageants to determine who is attractive enough to compete. [wink] All of this being said, I do know of dancers who chose to do Invisalign because they did not like the look of metal braces. They may have done this because of some perceived sense that judges would penalize them because of their braces. However, that decision was more based on some internal beliefs rather than reality. There are also some people who are insecure and don't want to look "different." If braces affect their dancing, that is because of their own insecurity and, again, not based on reality.


Super glad that all the dancers in your area are ultra self-confident and are able to emote with their faces with a mouth full (and I don't mean partial ..I mean wall to wall, top to bottom) metal in their mouths.  Yeah, we pretty it up by matching the elastics or the little bracket things to costume colours but the reality is that it affects the way they move their face and in my DD's case, it actually altered the way she looked.  Her mouth was much more pronounced as if it was being stretched out.  Because of this, some dancers with a full mouth of metal are forced to get one look on their face and stay there.  And that makes them boring no matter what their technique is like.  They probably still do really well if they're great dancers, but that little extra bit that comes from a radiant smile is left on the table.  Would you rather look at a lit up face, or one that's pretty much the same throughout a dance?   Perhaps I'm shallow but I like the big smile and probably a lot of judges do too when it comes to choosing between two dancers.  

I don't care for the bolded statement.  All teenagers have insecurities in some form or another.  It's their reality.  Perhaps not yours.  But it is theirs.


0
heidi459

Avatar / Picture

Diamond Member
Registered:
Posts: 6,036
Reply with quote  #48 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnDanceMom
I can honestly say that braces don't affect scores in my area. Some of the most talented dancers in my area have braces or have had braces and there was no change in their dancing before or after they had braces. They won first overall plenty during their time with braces. I don't think looks have much to do with how someone scores at a dance competition. It may affect a professional career in dance (or more likely modeling or acting), but a professional career is so far removed from competing at dance competitions that it is not even funny. I also don't think someone's "smile" has anything to do with how they score on a solo at 13. But that is just based on my observation. Dancers with braces can and do convey all sorts of emotions, including a happy emotion. This topic is ridiculous. What's next, beauty pageants to determine who is attractive enough to compete. [wink] All of this being said, I do know of dancers who chose to do Invisalign because they did not like the look of metal braces. They may have done this because of some perceived sense that judges would penalize them because of their braces. However, that decision was more based on some internal beliefs rather than reality. There are also some people who are insecure and don't want to look "different." If braces affect their dancing, that is because of their own insecurity and, again, not based on reality.


Super glad that all the dancers in your area are ultra self-confident and are able to emote with their faces with a mouth full (and I don't mean partial ..I mean wall to wall, top to bottom) metal in their mouths.  Yeah, we pretty it up by matching the elastics or the little bracket things to costume colours but the reality is that it affects the way they move their face and in my DD's case, it actually altered the way she looked.  Her mouth was much more pronounced as if it was being stretched out.  Because of this, some dancers with a full mouth of metal are forced to get one look on their face and stay there.  And that makes them boring no matter what their technique is like.  They probably still do really well if they're great dancers, but that little extra bit that comes from a radiant smile is left on the table.  Would you rather look at a lit up face, or one that's pretty much the same throughout a dance?   Perhaps I'm shallow but I like the big smile and probably a lot of judges do too when it comes to choosing between two dancers.  

I don't care for the bolded statement.  All teenagers have insecurities in some form or another.  It's their reality.  Perhaps not yours.  But it is theirs.




I actually tend to agree with MinnDanceMom's sentiment but maybe that's because I don't see it as a negative.  You said it yourself, it's "their" insecurity that can sometimes impact their performance and that is what effects the score.  That's very different than a judge saying to themselves... "oh that girl is such a beautiful dancer but she has braces and I hate the look of braces so I'm going to knock off a few points for that".  
0
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,524
Reply with quote  #49 
I also tend to be skeptical of new posters and almost unbelievable tales, but I'd also like to give OP the benefit of the doubt. I would tell your SO that the policy is ridiculous, and that she has a few choices to make: 1. Offer to pay the cost to have DD's braces removed and replaced with invisilign. 2. Allow DD to compete her solo as is, and apologize to your family. 3. If she doesn't choose 1 or 2, you go to the local media. See how "selective" her small studio can be after her ridiculous policies are revealed to the public. 
0
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,601
Reply with quote  #50 
You say that its in the studio handbook but you never saw that handbook?  In a court of law, SO would have to prove that you received and read the handbook and understood the policy. What, if anything, did you sign when you joined the studio?  Typically, a dancers family has to sign a contract or other agreement stating policies, procedures, fees, etc..  If you did sign a document like this, you may be out of luck financially.  If you did not sign anything, then I would start looking into legal action based on your state laws.  Either way, I would be out of that place so fast.

0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.