Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
competitionmom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hello from Connecticut!!! Also I have a question about something my studio said to DD13. DD just started a new studio at the beginning of the year. She had learned her solo and we bought a costume and were ready to compete next month. On a seemingly unrelated subject, she recently got braces. When she went to the studio, they told her that she was not longer allowed to compete because of this. She could get them removed and get Invisalign instead or stop competing solos. I don't want to pay for Invisalign because I already paid for the regular braces. DD is now devastated. She is already self-conscience enough without this on top of it. I really don't want to uproot her again, but I don't know anymore. What do you think? Was the studio out of line? 
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #2 
At least 1/3 of the kids from 11-14 I see at competition seem to have braces. What's their reasoning?
competitionmom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #3 
They said that the metal is a distraction to the judges and that with the stage lights it reflects off. To me it seems like a load of crap but it is their policy. 

That said, I do think it is pretty common for preteens to have braces. 
ChelleB70

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Wow!  Just wow!  I would be demanding my money back and an apology for my dd.  Braces are a distraction? Then no tween or teen should ever compete.  Between braces, glasses (which my dd has) and pimples the judges would be beyond distraction and unable to do their jobs!
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
That is ridiculous. So many kids that age have braces. Judges obviously understand what braces are. I am pretty sure they don't deduct points for braces. This is something between you and your orthodontist and none of the dance studio's business. Maybe you could put wax over them while she's on stage so the silver won't show, but it really should be a non-issue!
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I've never heard such a thing. My dd13 has braces along with hundreds of other girls on the dance stage. Is this policy something you knew of and had in writing before she got her braces? Even still, demanding invisaligns is ridiculous.
competitionmom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #7 
exactly my opinion but Im not sure what I should do?
competitionmom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #8 
And no. The new studio doesn't write out a contract. 
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Beyond out of line!!!

I can tell you unequivocally that EVERY dancer at DD's studio has had braces by the time they are 15-16 years old.  No dancer has ever been discouraged from doing a solo when they were in braces!  In fact it was during DD's braces year that she actually scored the best on her solos; placing 1st overall at three regionals and 2nd overall at our nationals that year! 

Sorry but your studio is way off with this one!  DD's SO/DTs judge for a few different competition companies and NEVER...EVER...EVER has this been an issue for them and I'm sure they would NEVER take points off a routine just because the dancer has braces!

I have to tell you, I would never stay at a studio who made such a ludicrous suggestion to get invisaligns just because a dancer can't have traditional braces and preform a solo! 

Who in the world do they think they are? 

Crazy, crazy, crazy...I would move along to a new studio now! 
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #10 
DS was in braces from 9 until 16 and every year he made a point of getting colored elastics on his braces that matched his costumes.  The studio thought it was cool.  I would tell them to go to hell and demand that they allow her to compete.
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Waaaayyy out of line. Out my my dd's small group of 8 teen dancers 3 of them have braces. Another one had them in the past but has gotten them off. And guess what? All of them have solos. What a crock. 

If there is no written contract, the studio does not have a leg to stand on. 
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Way out of line!  Ash started doing solos at age 10, and last year (15) was the first year she did a solo without braces!
tappingfeet

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
This is absolutely ridiculous!  I would say that a majority of kids have braces on their teeth at one point or another in their adolescence.  Has your DT/SO ever been to a competition?  Have they ever seen any indication of a dancer being penalized for having braces?  I can't even imagine where that idea would come from.  I would tell your studio that you have paid for the solo and expect DD to be permitted to perform it.  Unless they literally have it in writing that you are not allowed to perform with braces, I don't see how they have a leg to stand on in this issue.  Good luck!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
This is for real? There are no dancers who compete at this studio who have braces? 

Yes. The studio is BEYOND out of line. 

I ask to speak the SO to confirm this, and if this is indeed true, ask where it was in writing when you registered. 

cndb

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Aside from the obvious craziness and complete overstepping of boundaries, I must ask.

Did your information come through your daughter, or did it come from a conversation between you and the instructor with no middle man?

I ask because this is such an incredibly bizarre thing to say or do and anyone, teacher, parent, owner or student with even one dance competition exposure would know how outlandish such a requirement could be.

I can only hope something got lost in the translation between what happened when she showed up with her new braces and what happened when the conversation made it to you.

If this is indeed their policy and they told your daughter this after she got her braces and without talking to you or outlining such a policy in advance, then you should raise cane, demand your money back and find a new studio. If you only heard about this through your daughter, then go see them now to see what they say transpired.

It just sounds too incredible a requirement to be true. If it is, run fast.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Weren't there even girls on the ALDC who had braces and Abby said nothing?  Even she's not this nuts.
cndb

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tappinmom
Weren't there even girls on the ALDC who had braces and Abby said nothing?  Even she's not this nuts.

[biggrin]
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Really??? Not sure I'm buying this,,,
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tappinmom
DS was in braces from 9 until 16 and every year he made a point of getting colored elastics on his braces that matched his costumes.  The studio thought it was cool.  I would tell them to go to hell and demand that they allow her to compete.

My dd13 matches elastics to costumes too [smile].

OP, I'd confirm that the studio won't let her do her solo and, if they don't acquiesce, start looking at other studios. Hard as that may be. I'd have to draw the line at bat doo doo crazy.

Hugs to your dd. Being in the awkward 13yo stage with braces is hard enough without this nonsense.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermom128
Really??? Not sure I'm buying this,,,

Neither am I but I will give the benefit of the doubt for now.
dancedaughters

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Yes it is out of line, as everyone has said.  It's stupid.  And braces don't matter at all.

But also...so what if they did?  What if they did distract the judges?  What if kids with braces did score lower?  Would that be a reason to not allow a dancer to compete?  I say no.  Every dancer has strengths and weaknesses, and every dancer has little extra things that help or hinder them (body type, good or bad feet, etc.).  That's no reason to ban them from competing.
stpierremom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
If it's true, sounds like a power trip to me.

My dd13 gets new elastics the day before her first comp this year -- and she's planning to get green to match her costume.  If it gives her confidence, why not?  And she is excited about it, lol!
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cndb
Aside from the obvious craziness and complete overstepping of boundaries, I must ask.

Did your information come through your daughter, or did it come from a conversation between you and the instructor with no middle man?

I ask because this is such an incredibly bizarre thing to say or do and anyone, teacher, parent, owner or student with even one dance competition exposure would know how outlandish such a requirement could be.

I can only hope something got lost in the translation between what happened when she showed up with her new braces and what happened when the conversation made it to you.

If this is indeed their policy and they told your daughter this after she got her braces and without talking to you or outlining such a policy in advance, then you should raise cane, demand your money back and find a new studio. If you only heard about this through your daughter, then go see them now to see what they say transpired.

It just sounds too incredible a requirement to be true. If it is, run fast.

THIS! Please confirm with a grown up. My DD has come home with a few crazy tales before.

Our top scoring/overall soloist has metal braces. Not every kid is a candidate for invisaligns. My DD15 isn't. She will be getting metal braces on top soon, I can't afford ceramic brackets because Dance.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Also, has this SO ever sat in an audience? Braces are one of the last things a judge would notice. 

Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Oh boy. This doesn't sound even remotely real. If this post is somehow based in some form of reality, then yes--of course it is out of line.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.