Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
andrealeigh83

Pending Email Verification
Reply with quote  #1 
Hey everyone! Greetings from Knoxville, TN! I'm excited to be in this group. My DD has danced for several years and made company at her studio for this coming year so we will be doing competitions. My question for you ladies is, what lipstick or lip stain do you use on your DD? I need something to last without much reapplication. I have used Mac Ruby Woo for her recitals but it comes off so easy. Thanks in advance and I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions as I navigate through DD first year of competitions.
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
We have to use what the studio tells us to use, so I would check that out before you buy anything. I would check out JAM cosmetics-they are especially for dance.
andrealeigh83

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you! Their only requirement is it has to be red. I will look at that brand.
BellaBallerina

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsmom
We have to use what the studio tells us to use, so I would check that out before you buy anything. I would check out JAM cosmetics-they are especially for dance.

Same here. We use what the studio owner tells us to. Right now we're using younique lipstick. Long lasting lipstick isn't really a big concern for me, since I can easily reapply it before every competition dance anyways. I think Mac ruby woo is a great choice. Try using setting spray or primer if you want it to be longer lasting.
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBallerina

Same here. We use what the studio owner tells us to. Right now we're using younique lipstick. Long lasting lipstick isn't really a big concern for me, since I can easily reapply it before every competition dance anyways. I think Mac ruby woo is a great choice. Try using setting spray or primer if you want it to be longer lasting.

Long lasting would drive me nuts since not every competition dance uses the same color. [smile]
BellaBallerina

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa745

Long lasting would drive me nuts since not every competition dance uses the same color. [smile]

Excellent point!
andrealeigh83

Reply with quote  #7 
I didn't think about that! Good point!
elastigal

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
We also use what our SO tells us to use. We use Revlon Super Lustrous in "Certainly Red". It's a nice red that seems to work on all the girls different skin tones.
andrealeigh83

Reply with quote  #9 
Thank you! My DD studio owner is surprisingly laid back about makeup. She doesn't have a preference on brand just that the lipstick be bright red, neutral eye palette, and blush. Now this is our first year of competition so she may be more picky when it comes to that.
Klba37

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Our Studio requires our girls to wear Maybelline R U Ready Lipstick for some dances and they have a Wine color for others. They are both Maybelline. Sometimes they stay on too good when you don't want them to.
rpgoodwin

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Our studio likes Revlon Wine With Everything - it looks good on most skin tones and wears fairly well.  My personal Preference is Sephora Cream Stain in Certainly Red. Lasts FOREVER but it's a brighter blue-red so it doesn't look good on yellow skin tones. Also love the NARS Velvet Matte lip pencil in Cruella - since it's a pencil it's easier for younger girls to apply without making a mess and doesn't need a separate liner. 
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Keep in mind, before driving yourself too too crazy, that it really only needs to last for 2-3 minutes at a time.  And reapplying shortly before each number is not a big hassle.  In fact it seems that most kids will do a quick touch up of their make up btw numbers even when it's not necessary.  IDK  Just discouraging you from getting in the habit of overthinking things.  Seems to be a trend for many in this thing we call dance comp.  A trend that can lead to unnecessary anxiety.  

Welcome!
PrimaMomma

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
Keep in mind, before driving yourself too too crazy, that it really only needs to last for 2-3 minutes at a time.  And reapplying shortly before each number is not a big hassle.  In fact it seems that most kids will do a quick touch up of their make up btw numbers even when it's not necessary.  IDK  Just discouraging you from getting in the habit of overthinking things.  Seems to be a trend for many in this thing we call dance comp.  A trend that can lead to unnecessary anxiety.  

Welcome!

I find that the lipstick that lasts a short time ends up all over DD10 teeth and bleeds outside of her lipline, which is especially noticeable with red. That's why i like the long lasting lipstick, stays in place.  This way I'm not constantly checking her teeth.  It's not just because I want it to last all day, it's just a bonus for me.

crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Hi, and welcome to the forum from the Chicago area!

I suggest you wait on this and find out what the SO/DT wants. Our studio is also very laid back, and only requires red lips for the recital, however the comp team all uses the same makeup. In fact, our parent fundraising organization raises money, and SO/DT buys the basic makeup for us out of that. We still supply our own foundation, eye liner and mascara.

Most importantly, I agree with Heidi. Don't get yourself all worried about what you need until you are told. Every studio handles things differently.

Good luck, and enjoy the ride!
andrealeigh83

Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:

Welcome!
andrealeigh83

Reply with quote  #16 
Thank you all so much! I really appreciate the input and suggestions!
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimaMomma

I find that the lipstick that lasts a short time ends up all over DD10 teeth and bleeds outside of her lipline, which is especially noticeable with red. That's why i like the long lasting lipstick, stays in place.  This way I'm not constantly checking her teeth.  It's not just because I want it to last all day, it's just a bonus for me.

I apologize for any confusion.  My response wasn't to you... or because of your post.  I was just responding to the OP's question and speaking generally.  I don't know what kind of lipstick you use that ends up all over your dd's teeth and bleeds outside of her lipline.  I've always bought pretty cheap drugstore make-up... both for myself and my dd (for dance)... and I've never run into that problem (plus I've never lined my lips and neither has my dd).  Might just be the brand.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
I know this thread is dead but I am going to add my 2 cents.  For our studio there is a required MAC shade that must be used.  But for a PAHS show where there is only a 'red' requirement, I have bought lip stains instead.  I just buy drugstore brands and am not loyal to any.  I think there has only been one dud and I don't remember what it was.  The best part is that she won't need to reapply and they don't come off on costumes (most important for us, since we don't own those costumes.)  They also don't bleed.  You may add gloss to make shiny, if you want. The bad part is that they may need remover to get totally off.
PrimaMomma

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:

I apologize for any confusion.  My response wasn't to you... or because of your post.  I was just responding to the OP's question and speaking generally.  I don't know what kind of lipstick you use that ends up all over your dd's teeth and bleeds outside of her lipline.  I've always bought pretty cheap drugstore make-up... both for myself and my dd (for dance)... and I've never run into that problem (plus I've never lined my lips and neither has my dd).  Might just be the brand.

No problem, I just realized I didn't include the part about the lipstick bleeding or smearing too.   That's funny, what's wrong with me, I always look like a dork with lipstick on my teeth at work lol. [confused]  [biggrin] 
LoveJillyLilly2Dance

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #20 
I swear by the lipstains by Younique!
TapMom423

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #21 
We have always used Stila "Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick" in Beso -- a true red. We call it "the lip Sharpie" because once you apply it, it does NOT come off/smear/feather/etc. (That having been said, you have to be very careful in applying it, because once it's on, it's ON.) DD can apply it before her first dance early in the morning and it will still look perfect by her last routine of the evening, even with snacks and lunch in between.
Our comp director said she had never had a judge comment specifically on a dancer's makeup, ever, but the first year DD was on team, multiple judges commented on that lipstick. (She wore a very severe B&W solo costume that year, so that single pop of color was pretty remarkable.)
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.