Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
DD11 is vegetarian (it's newish for her but food in our house is largely vegetarian-based anyway so it isn't a big jump) and needs ideas for more snacks that will really sustain her. She eats a ton of fruits, veggies, and nuts. What are some other vegetarian snacks (on-the-go) that will really hold her over for a whole night of dancing? She is okay if she has the opportunity to eat frequently, but there isn't time between dance classes and she comes out famished. I'm thinking a more solid snack is needed around 3:30 to eat on the way to ballet.

Generally she either has a veggie with peanut butter (she doesn't like hummus), fruit and nuts, or edamame.*

Thanks! 

*She eats junk food, too. Don't want to give anyone the wrong idea that she is super concerned about healthy eating--she's still a typical 11 year old. However, she is very big on making sure the snack she eats before dance is good fuel.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I'd slice up an apple and give her some cheese.  Fruit, nuts, cheese would be the best.
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Although my DD isn't a vegetarian, she eats very little "meat".  For dance, she loves Greek yogurts.  I make sweet potato chips all-the-time and she really enjoys them as well.  She also likes soft pretzels and will dip them in peanut butter, hazelnut spread or Laughing Cow cheeses.  DD also eats a lot of Skinny Pop popcorn, the white cheddar flavor.

There are many good "bars" out there that my sons always enjoyed but my DD isn't much a granola or protein girl.  I do however make No-Bake Cookies with protein powder, cocoa, peanut butter and oatmeal that she loves.  I have those in the house often for her. 
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
My dd is vegan and just performed 4 roles in 17 Nutcrackers, sometimes twice a day, with very little time to get food.  She lived on trail mix and giant raisins and lots of coffee. (Your dd is too young for coffee probably.)  There are so many varieties of trail mix - maybe you could find one that she really likes and would keep her energy up.
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I think I'd give her a smoothie on the way to dance. Something with protein and low on carbs and sugars. Vegetarian diets typically are high in carbs and sugars so something that provides some balance would be good.
Curandera

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Does she eat fish?  Mine loves Sushi. There are a lot of flavor options, they quell her hunger, she can eat it quickly but it doesn't feel heavy in her tummy.

You said she eats a lot of fruit.  Does that include bananas?  Bananas are not only filling but they are really good to prevent or alleviate muscle cramps.

Dd also likes cold rotini pasta with chopped up vegetables and olives and egg salad or tuna mini-sandwiches.
tappingfeet

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I've been searching Pinterest for ideas for homemade protein breakfast bars, energy bites, etc.  I'm actually going to try a receipt today: peanut butter banana protein bars from allrecipes.com.  I'll let you know how it turns out!  

DD dances from 3:45-8:45 on Mondays with no break.  She used to try to fill up on snack foods, but always ended up starving by the end of the night.  Now I actually feed her more of a meal in the car.  Sometimes I'll warm up dinner from the night before and bring it in the car for her, or I make her a thai noodle salad with peanuts, quinoa salad, or something like that.  
Curandera

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 

If you can bring it to her hot or if they have a microwave, there is also that great stand by and all-time favorite - mac and cheese.

My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #9 
My DD's always want lots of yogurt, dried fruits  (banana chips , mango chips) and cliff bars for snacking at conventions.  But ,  I have to admit they eat quite a bit of protein ...and well almost everything ....so not sure fuel is a problem for them.  :/ 
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
My dd13 isn't quite vegetarian, but most definitely could be with no problem.  She's not my meat eater.

I was going to suggest hummus and pita, rats!!!!  Is it the garbanzos?  I have a good white cannellini bean hummus that's smoother in flavor.

Otherwise, does she do eggs?  Hard boiled egg or egg salad in a pita.  We are also very big on power smoothies.  PB, banana, vanilla greek yogurt, milk, pkt of carnation instant breakfast (chocolate or vanilla).  String cheese or cubes with crackers.  I also will bake up potatoes for dd to heat up with some shredded cheese and broccoli cheese sauce (green giant frozen) as a quick light meal.  We also love a trail mix of cashews, multigrain cheerios, raisins/craisins, few m&ms thrown in for good measure. [smile]
dncemom01

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
My dd13 is not a vegetarian but has toyed with the idea. However most "fuel" type snacks and proteins are a no go for her. She is allergic to all nuts! She loves Greek yogurt and it seems to fill her up. Most days I will have dinner done before I pick her up from school and she will eat in the car on the way to dance and then will eat a small snack or 2nd helping when she gets home.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I might try veggie roll up sandwiches.  That might make her feel satisfied.  You could roll up peanut butter and banana or even try some of these - http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/veggie-tortilla-roll-ups/ed56d840-e6ef-478a-a43e-87577a95537f  If you added a veggie broth soup in a thermos with that I bet she would be good to go.

Another option is cold pasta salads.
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
I can totally relate. My dd is 13 and has been a vegetarian for 4 years. I pick her up from school every day and drive her straight to dance where she dances from around 3:00 to 9:00. She has to have a substantial snack or light meal even on the way to dance, or she is running on empty by the end of the evening. Here are some ideas:
Celery with peanut butter
Smoothie
Baked potato with shredded cheese
Flat bread pizza
Quesadilla ( you can use a whole wheat or spinach tortilla)
Pasta salad with chunks of mozzarella cheese and veggies
Tomato soup with a piece of bread
Hard boiled egg

The last two my dd won't eat, but maybe yours is less picky. Of course there is always the more portable string cheese, granola bars, and yogurt too.
Midge

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
We make a smoothie that stays with you a long time:

Ice- about a 1/2 cup
2-3 T Chia seeds (presoak)
1-2 T flax seeds (ground)
1/2 cup PB (or to taste)
1/2 Banana
milk (we usually use unsweetened almond milk)
vanilla extract to taste
stevia to taste

You can mix it up, of course.  Sometimes I leave out the banana, sometimes I add chocolate protein powder. 
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
My dd likes Luna bars. They're pretty good, as far as protein bars go. For longer days, she will pack a bagel with cream cheese or a tortilla wrap with peanut butter, cream cheese, or hummus on it. 
Dancinandlovinit

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #16 
If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they have a ton of options.  I just picked up a "Middle Eastern Feast" which has hummus, a veggie mix, falafel, pita bread (though they look more like tortillas), and 2 little cups of tahini sauce. Dd looooves it and eats half one day and half the next, and it is only $2.99.  It's by their salads and wraps.  

My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #17 
All this talk of smoothies.  I need to learn to make these for DD's.  Maybe find some "easy", inexpensive options.  Maybe drink some myself. [smile]
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Lots of wonderful suggestions! Taking notes. [smile] 
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
And no--she isn't currently eating fish but now I want some sushi. [rofl] She has always loved fish, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if it makes a reappearance for her soon...
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittenmom3
My dd13 isn't quite vegetarian, but most definitely could be with no problem.  She's not my meat eater.

I was going to suggest hummus and pita, rats!!!!  Is it the garbanzos?  I have a good white cannellini bean hummus that's smoother in flavor.

Otherwise, does she do eggs?  Hard boiled egg or egg salad in a pita.  We are also very big on power smoothies.  PB, banana, vanilla greek yogurt, milk, pkt of carnation instant breakfast (chocolate or vanilla).  String cheese or cubes with crackers.  I also will bake up potatoes for dd to heat up with some shredded cheese and broccoli cheese sauce (green giant frozen) as a quick light meal.  We also love a trail mix of cashews, multigrain cheerios, raisins/craisins, few m&ms thrown in for good measure. [smile]

I think I'm going to have her make a batch of hummus at home and see if she likes it better if she makes it herself (which seems to happen often!) She loves beans so it isn't a bean thing. She does do eggs. 
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2DanceLoves
All this talk of smoothies.  I need to learn to make these for DD's.  Maybe find some "easy", inexpensive options.  Maybe drink some myself. [smile]

My girls love smoothies. We usually toss in a bunch of spinach to whatever we're making and it doesn't impact the flavor whatsoever. They have a smoothie for breakfast often--I really don't know why I didn't think to make one for snacks! 
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #22 
My girls make fruit/juice smoothies, but I have never looked into the super healthy , high in protein kind. 
jlm645

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #23 

Smoothies are a great idea- so filling and easy to work in nutrients.  I need to do more of that.

My dd seems to do yogurt with granola and fruit (preferrably strawberries) about every day right now.  And she always has a box of protient bars in her bag. 

crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #24 
My DD is not a vegetarian, but like a lot of us, she has at least one long dance day a week, or has to run from dance to a Confirmation meeting, so we are very familiar with needing to pack up a hearty snack or a dinner. Thanks for the extra ideas, everyone! I love the pasta salad idea!

We usually pack a sandwich, fruit, and cashews or almonds. Peanut butter can be eaten in the car, but we don't bring it into the studio, in case someone has a severe allergy. I didn't see this suggested, but have you tried veggie pizza? My DD loves cold pizza, so we pack this for her once in a while (we don't have access to a microwave at dance).

Also, how about a thermos of soup? Tomato, lentil, navy bean, vegetable, split pea (I am personally not a fan of the last one). You can always make vegetable soup with pre-made vegetable broth or stock and add veggies, lentils, barley or pasta, which will make it more sustaining.

You can also probably prepare oatmeal and put that in a thermos, but I don't know how that would come out.

Rats, now I want tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich. [crazy]
Lunafly

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Check Pinterest or All Recipes for "Breakfast Cookie" recipes that can be tailored to her tastes.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: