Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
dancemonkey

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
By their dance studios in their first couple years of college?
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Do you mean were they prepared by their home studios for life as a college dance major? 

Dd is going to be a company trainee instead of a college dancer and I definitely believe she has been prepared for that by both schools she has attended in high school. Her former school (the one she attended through her junior year) had graduating seniors attend college as dance majors many years running. In fact, in recent years, the majority of graduating seniors attended college for dance (only 2-4 seniors per year). The few others did not major in dance. None went on to companies or company schools in the last 5 or 6 years. Anyway, as a result, dd has several friends in dance programs, primarily ballet, and has heard a great deal about life as a dance major. It's been helpful for her in her decision making process. [smile] Some of the schools her friends are at include Butler, Arizona, Mason Gross (Rutgers), Indiana, UCI, etc. 

My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #3 
DD18 starts her first year of college as a dance major in a few weeks.  So we don't know yet what it will be like.  I would think yes if your studio has had a program that caters to those wanting to pursue dance.  And by that I do not mean a "college prep" program per se,  but a program that emphasizes strong technique and facilitates growth for the dancers that want to be pushed and excel and go on to continue dancing , in whatever manner that may be.   
pinnellmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
My DD was definitely well prepared.  Her studio always had to go through an audition process to make company lines and that helped because everything she wanted to be in there was a required audition process in college too.  Her best dance styles were tap and musical theatre.  She felt she needed more training in modern and ballet.  The college she chose was more focused on modern so she felt that has helped make her more well-rounded as a dancer.  She is now going to be starting to audition for professional jobs so we will see how that philosophy has worked. She is just finishing up her internship for this summer for her master's.  She got her bachelor's and master's in 4 years.  Time management skills from being in dance and involved in so much in high school is what really helped her so much in college.
Shaylenek

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
My DD starts her college dance program in about 10 days so I am just making assumptions from our experiences in the application and audition process.  I think she actually auditioned for about 7 colleges and was accepted in most - from Cal State Long Beach to Elon in NC.  We are coming from a smaller town in the Midwest and have never had a dancer try to excel beyond small college dance teams.  I am sure that just our home studio alone would not have provided adequate training in multiple genres.  Fortunately she cross-trained at multiple studios and did intensives every year to supplement other areas.  the most important things we found were
1.  Having experience in the audition process itself and being able to take class from different instructors
2.  Solid good ballet training  
3.  Some modern experience.  

I think that if your child can say yes to those three things the application and audition process will be manageable.  The biggest compliments DD has gotten relate to being coachable/trainable.  I think her ability to learn combos quickly and her interest in listening to and take correction often helped her shine over others with more turns or tricks.  

We are interested now to learn what it really feels like for DD to be able to pursue her dance training in a "full-time" setting.  She is so excited to have the opportunity to be a part of a serious dance community.   Will see if we can let you know more in a few weeks.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.