Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
We have another thread going about making the move to a new studio.  That got me thinking, how many of you have landed at right studio from the beginning?  It seems many of our posters (including me) wind up changing studios at some point, so I'm curious - if you haven't changed and you are happy, what is working?
carriesmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
DD was at a total of 4 studios over 17 years of dance.  Each time we moved it was for a different reason.

We started at the first studio when DD was almost 2.  It was convenient for us to get there and was basically the only decent place that would take a child under age 2.  We lasted there for 2 years.  The studio had that warm fuzzy feeling and DD had a lot of fun in their preschool classes, but looking at the older dancers in comparison to other available options it was obvious that she could get much better technique elsewhere.  She tried the summer dance program at what became Studio #2 for us and loved it, so I moved her for that fall.  
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I would be very interested to see how many people actually have never changed studios....I don't think I know one person....
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
We have never changed studios. My eldest DD is 18 and we have been there since she was 2.

The vast majority of the dancers at our studio have never changed either, most started thee are pre schoolers and then stayed, some changed from about studio at 6 or 7 and also stayed.

It seems to be quite normal around here to stay at the same studio. When we go to the comps we see the same kids dancing at the same studios from 6 and under divisions right through.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 

If I am counting correctly, dd was at her first studio for 7 years and at her second for 8 years. 

She started at the first studio when she was 2 in a preschool creative movement class. Left for a few reasons, none of which were originally our idea. It was a studio location issue and a suggestion from a jazz teacher that dd should go to a ballet school. 

Second move was definitely dd's idea. I had really hoped she would stay through her senior year. 

Both moves were extremely positive experiences and the best thing we could have done for dd at the time. Didn't know that in the moment though!

jemn

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
In the 5+ years we've been at our studio, it's not common for families to leave, that's one of the reasons I'm wrestling so hard with the decision to stay or go
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
We were at my daughter's first pre-pro ballet school for over 10 years, second pre-pro school for 18 months and now at a contemporary company school since June.
threedancingdaughters

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Only on our second studio. We loved our first and would've been happy there longer but we moved about 3 hours away. This is our third year at our current studio and love it! Awesome SO, kind DTs, many of the other comp moms are great, minimal drama. DD8 never wants to leave. She knows a few of the older girls and looks up to them- good role models. Many of them of have been dancing there for years. It's not perfect but It's a good fit for us and I can't see us leaving unless the girls get interested in other activities and want to stop dancing.
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
It depends-maybe our family counts? DD did preschool and kindergarten dance at another studio, but when our current SO opened her own place, she began competing there and we haven't left. It's not perfect, but it's home. [smile] It's a little more expensive than a few other area studios, and DD 14 would like it if she was surrounded by more serious dancers. By far the largest difficulty is that both of my DD's are tappers, and the tap program at our studio seems to be undervalued/not important. Otherwise, we love it there!
Dancinandlovinit

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
My daughter has been at her studio for 13 years, since the age of 3. She joined the team when she was 8. She's now 16.

We were at another local studio for 2 months prior to moving to this studio. We moved to our current studio the week it opened. I don't really count the 2 months at the other studio as a "studio move." She was barely out of diapers and wouldn't compete for another 5 years. 
BreezysMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
We have been at the same studio for 10 years now and have no intention of leaving unless something drastically changes.  Visitor's day was this week.  I almost fell asleep because there was hardly any dancing.  The focus was on technique and conditioning in each class, which is not very interesting to watch.  When the kids did do a short combo, I was very impressed with how much each of them have grown since last year.  The team gets along very well, so no mean girl issues.  Everyone gets a fair chance as well.  For example, my DD13 is basically one of the leads in a lyrical comp dance.  When they were giving out the "special" parts in the jazz dance she was told right out that someone else would be given a chance to do something special.  My biggest pet peeves are the parking and that the SO writes terrible emails.  She writes for herself and not her audience so sometimes we have to break out our decoder rings to understand what she is trying to say. 
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
We've been at our studio since my oldest was 3, she's now 10. Her first year was at a different studio though as that studio had a class for children as young as 2. I don't forsee us changing studios but never say never. 
theyarg

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Five years, yes, we were happy for more than five years at our first studio. DD was there from age 4 to 12. She didn't have any problems until the year she was 10. Another girl was bullying, and I didn't like how the SO handled it.  It was finally worked out, but it was on the downward slide from that point on. The older kids never really did that well, and the SO one time told me that she "hates teaching teens".  The year DD was 12, she worked with her really hard until she won the title at a particular comp, then began ignoring her and suddenly became incredibly focused on one little six year old in particular. Sort of felt like she thought DD was now old news and she had to move on to the new crop.  She never put much effort into the teens. It was other things that led us to leave, but I feel now when I look back that this studio was good for ages 3-10 or so, but to get good training you needed to change at that point. People sometimes get so hung up on loyalty that they miss that concept. Unless a studio is super big, it is near impossible to be all things to all people.
3girls

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
We changed studios when my oldest daughter was young, but we only stayed there a year then went back to the original studio.  Our reason for the switch was for commute purposes, the second studio was much closer to home but the training wasn't as good so we decided to just deal with the commute and went back to original studio.
BalletMom2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #15 
DD12 has been at the same studio (it's primarily a ballet studio) since she was 3.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
DD was at her first studio from age 2 to age 11.  She was happy but wanted to focus on ballet.  She had been taking extra ballet classes at a ballet school since age 8 so she switched there full time from age 11 to 12.  She switched back to the studio she had been happy at for 9 years when she decided she missed the other dance styles, but this time around she was miserable.  So she only went back there for 3 years.  Then her last two years before college she did a completely different school that she absolutely loved and wished she'd been at from the start.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #17 
DD14, same studio since age 4.
trinitymomof2

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #18 
We have been at the same studio since my older daughter was 2 1/2, she is now a high school senior and will be a dance major next year in college.
burghmom

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #19 
DD 16 has been at the same studio since she was 2.  The positives of the studio are location, size (on the small side) and family type atmosphere.  Reasons we have considered changing are lack of technique focus and lack of discipline. 
dancemonkey

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Never changed! We received great training from our studio. When we started it was one room. Now there are three spaces! Not the best at communicating but I love what my children have gotten out of the studio. We've been there 17 years!
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #21 
It's good to know that so many have been happy for so long.  We never intended to commit so much to dance when she started, so we started blindly.  I think we have found the right studio to finish out at now!
grandaughter

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #22 
My grandaughter who is now 18 started her studio at 4 1/2 and joyfully has been there in company.  This is her last year and it makes me sad.
Sprmom2679

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #23 
We were at the first studio for 3 years starting at age 8. Last year was on the comp company. Everyone's true colors were seen including both SO's, no question had to leave. New studio this year has been perfect and the the perfect fit for both of us! Don't plan on leaving this studio and can't wait to start comp season and DD is super happy.
DanceMomLaura

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #24 
We are still at the studio DD started at.  We will finish there.  DD is a sophmore this year so she only has a few more years left.  We got lucky with our studio, and other than typical stuff, haven't had issues. 
3dancinggirls

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #25 
My daughters are 12, 10 & 6. Two are comp dancers & the youngest is a recreational dancer. This is the only studio we've been at since my eldest was 4 years old. We are very happy with the directors/owners, teachers, training/technique, and location. We are happy with the comp program & the competitions we go to & are happy with the recreational program & the year end recital.

The only thing I don't like is the high costs of comp costumes - but in our area that seems to be the norm, in fact, I know there are other studios in our area that have higher costs than ours (but that's a rant for another thread).
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: