Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
joriebelle

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,212
Reply with quote  #1 
I figured I better get started on this!  It's so overwhelming to me though.   There is SO much information about there!  

DD will be almost 13 next summer and she expressed interested in going away to a SI.  This will be her 3rd year auditioning for SI's but the first time she will go if accepted.   We went to the BalletTalk website and read reviews for the different SIs and decided to register for 6 auditions and then just take it from there.

From those of you whose dancer has gone away to an SI, how old were they when they went for the first time and how long was the program they went to that first time?

The programs she is auditioning for are Pittsburgh Ballet, Cincinnati Ballet, KC Ballet, Bolshoi, Oregon Ballet Theatre, and ABT.  Anyone have any experience with any of these?

Thanks and sorry for all of the questions!
0
gymanddance

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,400
Reply with quote  #2 
We have registered for a couple. This will be my dd's first year going away without me and she will be 11.
0
ballerinamom13

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,665
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle
I figured I better get started on this!  It's so overwhelming to me though.   There is SO much information about there!  

DD will be almost 13 next summer and she expressed interested in going away to a SI.  This will be her 3rd year auditioning for SI's but the first time she will go if accepted.   We went to the BalletTalk website and read reviews for the different SIs and decided to register for 6 auditions and then just take it from there.

From those of you whose dancer has gone away to an SI, how old were they when they went for the first time and how long was the program they went to that first time?

The programs she is auditioning for are Pittsburgh Ballet, Cincinnati Ballet, KC Ballet, Bolshoi, Oregon Ballet Theatre, and ABT.  Anyone have any experience with any of these?

Thanks and sorry for all of the questions!


joribelle - I can answer almost all questions for OBT and if I don't know the answer, my dd will.  Are they coming to the Chicago area this year?  If so, they have expanded their audition tour.  I think you have some good choices on your list. 
0
tendumom

Avatar / Picture

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,949
Reply with quote  #4 
DD attended one of the ABT SIs several times, but just the California location when it was scheduled in such a way that it could be attended after another 5 or 6 week program. Pretty familiar with most of the other sites to some degree as dd attended an ABT affiliated school for several years and it ABT was a popular and encouraged SI program (especially the NYC and CA sites). You generally have no control over what program they are placed in. DD ranked CA 4/5 and was still placed there one year and ranked it 1/5 and was placed there. There were years when she was offered 2 locations, but that is apparently somewhat unusual. There is no housing in NYC which makes it a difficult choice for some if accepted. 
0
joriebelle

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,212
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerinamom13


joribelle - I can answer almost all questions for OBT and if I don't know the answer, my dd will.  Are they coming to the Chicago area this year?  If so, they have expanded their audition tour.  I think you have some good choices on your list. 


Yes!  They are coming to Chicago on February 11th.  [smile]  This will be her first time going away if she goes.  Financially we're not in a great place as I have another daughter that dances and I have 2 in college as well.  Unfortunately it's going to come down to whatever ends up costing the least.  Three of the intensives she (we) chose because they're in driving distance and we won't have to pay for an airline ticket.

Your daughter is on company at OBT, yes?  Has she ever done their summer intensive before she was on company?  
0
joriebelle

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,212
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
DD attended one of the ABT SIs several times, but just the California location when it was scheduled in such a way that it could be attended after another 5 or 6 week program. Pretty familiar with most of the other sites to some degree as dd attended an ABT affiliated school for several years and it ABT was a popular and encouraged SI program (especially the NYC and CA sites). You generally have no control over what program they are placed in. DD ranked CA 4/5 and was still placed there one year and ranked it 1/5 and was placed there. There were years when she was offered 2 locations, but that is apparently somewhat unusual. There is no housing in NYC which makes it a difficult choice for some if accepted. 


DD had been accepted to AL location but she ended up going nowhere because we couldn't afford it and also her SO thought she was too young still.   I did see when I was reading that there isn't housing in NYC.  That makes it difficult for a younger dancer that doesn't live in the area.
0
ballerinamom13

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,665
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle


Yes!  They are coming to Chicago on February 11th.  [smile]  This will be her first time going away if she goes.  Financially we're not in a great place as I have another daughter that dances and I have 2 in college as well.  Unfortunately it's going to come down to whatever ends up costing the least.  Three of the intensives she (we) chose because they're in driving distance and we won't have to pay for an airline ticket.

Your daughter is on company at OBT, yes?  Has she ever done their summer intensive before she was on company?  


That's great that they are coming to the Chicago area.  Yes, the very first summer she was there.  It was not required, but she wanted to do it. She already had an apartment, so she didn't live in the dorms, but from what I hear they are nice.  Last summer, 2 company members were RA's, so it was kind of nice for the kids to get to know them.
0
joriebelle

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,212
Reply with quote  #8 
What SIs has your daughter done in the past?  Which are her favorites?  We live near Chicago but I haven't picked a Chicago SI because driving into the city every day for 5-6 weeks would be a nightmare LOL.
0
ballerinamom13

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,665
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle
What SIs has your daughter done in the past?  Which are her favorites?  We live near Chicago but I haven't picked a Chicago SI because driving into the city every day for 5-6 weeks would be a nightmare LOL.


SAB twice and Exploring Ballet with Suzanne Farrell, Boston, CPYB and BalletMet and OBT. She liked SAB best, but I think she improved the most at CPYB.  It's too bad that driving in is so bad.  Joffrey would be good for her and cheaper...but I know the traffic is really bad in Chicago.
1
camercad

Avatar / Picture

Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 83
Reply with quote  #10 
DD was 11 when she first attended a SI (Joffrey Academy JSDI). It was a 3 week intensive, but we have lots of family in the area to support her with anything she needed. Since then, she has gone to Complexions (2 weeks), PBT (5 weeks), and U of Utah (4 weeks). 
DD attended PBT as a 14 year old. She has a great time, much improvement - especially in artistry. For DD, it's main draw was the amount of partnering experience she'd receive there. 
0
joriebelle

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,212
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerinamom13


SAB twice and Exploring Ballet with Suzanne Farrell, Boston, CPYB and BalletMet and OBT. She liked SAB best, but I think she improved the most at CPYB.  It's too bad that driving in is so bad.  Joffrey would be good for her and cheaper...but I know the traffic is really bad in Chicago.


Not sure why, ballerinamom, but Joffrey Chicago does not have a good reputation within our studio.  I think she'd go to Ballet Chicago before she did Joffrey.
0
ballerinamom13

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,665
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle


Not sure why, ballerinamom, but Joffrey Chicago does not have a good reputation within our studio.  I think she'd go to Ballet Chicago before she did Joffrey.



They kind of have their own style, a little like Ballet Austin does.  And they are more contemporary. Or maybe they have a personal feud going??.....It happens!!!
1
JojosDanceMom

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,292
Reply with quote  #13 
DD has her audition list for this year.  She wants to work on some audition videos while she's home on winter break.  Everywhere has different audition video requirements, so it's a lot of studio time to put all these videos together!  Sheesh! 
0
mom2tall

Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 70
Reply with quote  #14 
Yes, for two so far - one in our hometown and 1 in NYC. DD is 17 and looking to go away and dance next year so while most SIs visit our city, there are conflicts with audition times overlapping so we'll head to NYC twice this year plus try to make a video for at least 1-2 companies. It will be a long audition season.  We will sign up online for those that allow it.

I'm afraid DD may end up missing her HS graduation due to the super late graduation date her school was assigned.
0
tendumom

Avatar / Picture

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,949
Reply with quote  #15 
None at all.

Dd is focusing on company auditions, but will likely need to do a small number of SI auditions as she is also looking at trainee programs and some are chosen though SI auditions and SIs themselves. I think she is skipping the latter this time around. I don't see her doing a 5 week program this summer because of some other commitments. It will be the first time after 8 years of 5+ week SIs and several years of shorter programs before that. 
0
dancemonkey

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,019
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerinamom13


SAB twice and Exploring Ballet with Suzanne Farrell, Boston, CPYB and BalletMet and OBT. She liked SAB best, but I think she improved the most at CPYB.  It's too bad that driving in is so bad.  Joffrey would be good for her and cheaper...but I know the traffic is really bad in Chicago.
How old was she went to CPYB?
0
ballerinamom13

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,665
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancemonkey
How old was she went to CPYB?


16, I think...I really like how they level the kids.  It's by what they need to work on, not by age.  
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation: