Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
theyarg

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
So DD had a rough start this year. As a junior she felt like this had to be her "make it or break it" year as she wants to study musical theatre in college.  Well, she didn't get into the regional choir she auditioned for, but her best friend did.  Then her best friend whined and complained to her about all the music she had to learn.  Then she hoped for a lead in one of our school plays.  One teacher wanted to cast her, but the other teacher kinda "claimed" DD.  Well, sounds good, right? Well, she wasn't wanted for a lead, but as a dancer only.  Guess who got the lead? Yeah, the same best friend, who's mom basically rubbed it in DD's face when she showed up at voice lessons (DD and friend WERE taking from the same teacher and happened to have back to back lessons that week) then that mom talked with the voice teacher an extra 15 minutes into my DD's lesson.  Needless to say, we now have a new voice teacher. Said friend then also landed a cute, nice boyfriend who promposed during rehearsals for the show.  

Well, DD is a trooper, and despite feeling lousy, made the best of it.  She danced her heart out and even did some of the choreography for the show.  She also worked very hard with her new voice teacher and with the theatre teacher to audition for a month long summer intensive for musical theatre. She was noted by the director as always being helpful and supportive to the younger cast members.  The director even nominated her to audition for a dance scholarship.  

Well, the hard work has paid off.  She got into the summer program. She made National Honor Society.  Then she received the scholarship award for Dance Molinari in NYC.  Then she auditioned for next year's production of Little Shop of Horrors, and found out today she was cast as Audrey!  Now to top it off, school awards were tonight, and she was called up 5 times!  One was for just participation in Student Council, one was to recognize the scholarship, one to recognize her acceptance to the summer intensive, one for the National Thespian Society, and the 11th grade Drama Award!  She is literally in shock.  I told her that I am always proud of her, but now I can also be happy for her.  I am so glad that all her hard work has paid off.  It is so good to have that sentiment we try to tell them all the time actually prove true.  

Only bad thing, is now best friend is extremely jealous.  Best friend is going to play the plant in Little Shop, which is no small role, and received an award tonight for theatre as well.  It makes me so mad that that kid doesn't appreciate what she does have.  Her mom is planning to go to school to talk to the adviser about getting her into National Honor Society.  She also wants to talk to the Student Council adviser about letting her in there.  Really?  What are you, in kindergarten?  Mommy has to fix it for you so you get what you want even if you didn't earn it?  

But, I am going to embrace the positive.  DD worked very hard and it paid off.  I know this was long, but I hope sharing will give everyone hope that when we tell them that their hard work will pay off, we are not lying!

mom2dancinboyngirl

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Congrats to your DD on her perseverance and her amazing successes! 
tapstermom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Congrats to her!  My dd had a rough junior year to, but in the end, the situation worked out better than planned.  She grew a lot from the experience and it made her a better person.  I am glad your dd worked hard, and then was rewarded for it. 
dancemonkey

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Congratulations! Will your daughter apply for a BFA? When is your show?
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
So happy for your daughter!  Congratulations to her!  [smile]  About her friend, that is no friend.  And definitely not a "best" friend.  A real best friend would be happy for her.
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Congratulations to your DD and to you as well for obviously being a good parent.  
PrimaMomma

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I loved reading this!  So happy for your daughter!!! Kudos to her for being resilient!   Her friend sounds like someone you leave behind after high school, and only keep in touch through social media.
stpierremom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Just loved reading this!  Congratulations to your dd -- success is so much sweeter when you've worked your tail off for it!!
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I just loved your story! I'm so glad when I read about long term hard work being rewarded....I hope she enjoys her summer[smile]
heartmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Congrats to her! Especially because it sounds like she never let it get her down or had a bad attitude! 
ChelleB70

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Congrats to your dd. She's doing wonderfully and learned a huge life lesson as well.  She is a better person for it all.  As for the "friend"....she's certainly not behaving like one.  I think jealousy is a very human emotion that can be worked through but a good friend wouldn't let it get between them.  This other girl has  a lot to learn but unfortunately kids take their queues from their parents and her mother sounds very petty (what adult rubs anything in a kid's face?!). 

(As an aside.....I hate promposals! LOL) 
CushKIn1

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Congratulations to your daughter! You have every reason to be proud of her for her perseverance and kindness towards younger students. Well done mom! 
crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by theyarg
I told her that I am always proud of her, but now I can also be happy for her.  I am so glad that all her hard work has paid off.  It is so good to have that sentiment we try to tell them all the time actually prove true.  

theyarg - I LOVE your story. Congratulations to your DD, and also to you for being an awesome parent.

The bolded sentence is the one that struck me the most. That is parenting done right! Well done.
BallerinaPaisley06

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Congrats to your daughter!!!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Loved reading this! Congratulations to your dd and to you for aiding the development of her fabulous resilience!

Sadly, after supporting successful and talented friends for years, when she finally saw the fruits of her labor rewarded in a big way, she had more than e friend with behaviors like this

theyarg

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Thanks for all of your thoughts.  I really feel frustrated with the friend right now.  DD refuses to believe she is not a real friend.  She is even whining about having to play Audrey II (the plant) because she won't be "seen" on stage.  Really? There are kids who didn't even make the ensemble.  
brizziemum

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Maybe you could tell the friend a current professional production has the plant played by a number of the leads (complicated but effective way of showing the plant as two opposing aspects of the different character's personalities). If the friend complains too much her part could be cut.
theyarg

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brizziemum
Maybe you could tell the friend a current professional production has the plant played by a number of the leads (complicated but effective way of showing the plant as two opposing aspects of the different character's personalities). If the friend complains too much her part could be cut.

That is a fascinating way to do it! I would love to see that.
gymanddance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Congrats to your daughter!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.