Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
So, in addition to dance, dd also does cheer. Last night they had an "open gym" session for the HS cheerleaders where they can work on tumbling and stunting at the gym for free. So, she was going into a roundoff/backhandspring and landed weird on her right hand. She has a small fracture in her middle phalanx (finger) and a more acute fracture in her metacarpal (more at the spot where the fingers meet the palm.)

The ER splinted it, we saw the pediatrician today and she is seeing the orhtopedist on Wednesday afternoon. She is supposed to compete this weekend. Obviously, she can't do her front walkovers she has in a couple of dances, but I was wondering if anyone has danced with this type of injury before. I guess it depends on whether they have to cast it?? I'm sick to my stomach thinking about this......not to mention the comp fees we've already paid. 

The only good news is that she's a lefty [bawl]
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Back in the day I was clumsy as heck off the dance floor and spent most of my pre teen-early teen years in a cast of one type or another.  I still danced as long as the pain wasn't bad.  Danced twice in a full broken elbow cast.  Not ideal but as long as the jumping around doesn't aggravate the injury it was fine.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I've seen kids dancing on stage with casts on their arms.  More than once.
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I've seen many a cast/splint/brace on a dancer.  No big deal.  Just make sure she she lets it heal properly!

Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Oh no! Poor thing. I too have seen girls dance wih casts on their arms. Hope all works out for her.
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks, ladies. Your comments give me hope. Fingers crossed!
tappingfeet

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
My DD broke a bone in her hand at dance a couple of years ago.  It was splinted and I think she wasn't allowed to put any weight on it for 6 weeks or so.  So she could dance no problem, but couldn't do acro or anything requiring pressure on her hand.  It happened during the summer, so she was finished competition season and it only affected her summer dance classes.
lblacksten

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #8 
My DD broke both bones in her wrist 3 weeks before recital weekend last year.  I was very nervous due to the fact that she was supposed to dance 27 times.  She ended up in a cast from her hand to her mid upper arm. We had to take out cartwheels, and tricks, but other than that she did great!!  A lot of the things I worried about weren't even a concern.
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
A girl on my DDs dance team broker her finger and hand a while back. She needs a split that goes from fingertip to past her wrist. With the doctors blessing, she takes off the splint to perform and puts it back on just as they leave the stage.

I wouldn't panic until I see the doctor. And even then, an arm cast or splint isn't the end of the world.
Shaylenek

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
My Dd has danced in a cast after breaking her wrist.  We had one girl (With doctors permission) dance recital in a boot.  It was her senior year and she just did some basics but she was so happy to be there.  Good luck!
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
So we went to the ortho today. He took another x-ray and said "it's not horrible". He gave her a new splint that is only slightly less bulky than the one they gave her at the ER, but at least he left her index finger out so she has a little more mobility in her hand. The wrap still goes past her wrist about a third of the way up her forearm, though.
He was going to say no dance for 4-6 weeks, but I told him she had gone to class last night and they had reworked her dances to eliminate tumbling and any moves that put pressure on her hand, so he begrudgingly is letting her dance. He wants to see her in another week for a follow up x-ray. We have another comp the weekend of May 14/15 and then recital is June 5th. Hoping she will have it off by recital at least.

Then we got  home and she realized that the sleeve of the jacket of her tap costume is not going to fit over the wrap. It's this costume from Weissmans:
https://www.weissmanscostumes.com/hip-hop/8543.aspx?position=11

So, I had to take the sleeve apart at the seam and add in an extra piece of fabric to make it wider. Luckily we had an old pair of black shorts in our "giveaway" bag that matched the fabric very closely. My sewing skills were put to the test, lol. 

It's been a rough week. Hoping all goes well this weekend.
Sabrina

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
My daughter's trio partner had a cast for most of the season a couple years ago.  We cut the sleeve of a few costume and sewed in a few pieces of elastic (like the ballet slipper kind) every few inches.  For those costumes with no sleeves, we cut a pair of tights and put it over it.  We also blinged it, lol.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: