Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Have any of you seen this new musical. I know it's currently sold out for the full run but I'm thinking it will get extended
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I bet it will get extended. Haven't seen and doubt I will as I have a long list of shows I want to see and I never seem to have to time to get to any lately! I've been hearing a lot of positive buzz. 
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Bumping up my original post about Hamilton. When I first made this post it was my pitiful attempt to promote the show. I have a great friend who is in the show and helped create the choreography during the workshop phase. He was so excited about the show and pretty much knew during the first weeks of preview that it was going to be a big hit. They still needed people to know about it and they needed people to want to buy tickets. Obviously that is no longer an issue. Sadly, I still have not seen the show! I gave my own ticket away to my dd's BF when they opened on Broadway so he could be my dd's date right before she went to college for her freshman year. I definitely won't be giving away my next ticket. I'm really excited for the Tony Awards. I'll finally see a dance scene live
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I'm actually FINALLY seeing it next week. 

Your post was when it was still off Broadway. I had actually tried to get tickets to it when it was off-Broadway but wasn't able to. That spring, I was supposed to get tickets once we finalized dd's plans for that August. I completely forgot and by the time I remembered, it was too late for that August or anytime that fall. In September, I bought tickets for this June the moment that block went on sale to the public. Finally going a week from today!! 
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmom
Bumping up my original post about Hamilton. When I first made this post it was my pitiful attempt to promote the show. I have a great friend who is in the show and helped create the choreography during the workshop phase. He was so excited about the show and pretty much knew during the first weeks of preview that it was going to be a big hit. They still needed people to know about it and they needed people to want to buy tickets. Obviously that is no longer an issue. Sadly, I still have not seen the show! I gave my own ticket away to my dd's BF when they opened on Broadway so he could be my dd's date right before she went to college for her freshman year. I definitely won't be giving away my next ticket. I'm really excited for the Tony Awards. I'll finally see a dance scene live

Oh damn.  When I started reading your post I was formulating in my mind how I was going to ask you to get us tickets.  Sigh.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
I'm actually FINALLY seeing it next week. 

Your post was when it was still off Broadway. I had actually tried to get tickets to it when it was off-Broadway but wasn't able to. That spring, I was supposed to get tickets once we finalized dd's plans for that August. I completely forgot and by the time I remembered, it was too late for that August or anytime that fall. In September, I bought tickets for this June the moment that block went on sale to the public. Finally going a week from today!! 

You are so fortunate!  I think you can get scalped tickets but only to the tune of $900 a piece. 
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #7 
My overly kind Broadway star has been really generous with the house seats but even he is feeling overwhelmed by the requests. It's my own fault for giving mine away so I'll be buying the next one at the crazy prices on the street
Momof3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I bought tickets in November for this coming October. Bummed that Lin Manuel Miranda and some of the others won't still be in in it, but I am still really really excited to see it! As a history teacher and a theater geek, this show is really one I've been crazy about since I first heard about it last fall.
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof3
I bought tickets in November for this coming October. Bummed that Lin Manuel Miranda and some of the others won't still be in in it, but I am still really really excited to see it! As a history teacher and a theater geek, this show is really one I've been crazy about since I first heard about it last fall.

Where did you find out when current cast members are leaving? I've only heard Lin is taking time off in July
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Many if not most/all contracts were up by this July. There have been scattered news articles about various cast members leaving. 
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
By the time tickets are available and we are able to see it, they will be on the fifth cast, I am sure.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
@cynmkee, that's how it was for Wicked! I wanted to see it when I first heard about it, but I guess not enough to track down when blocks of tickets went on sale.  It was about 5 years later when we finally saw it and even then it was just because we won the ticket lottery! Now that the ticket lotteries are digital, it can be even harder to win. You get people like me that enter frequently. [smile] I enter pretty much any day that I could possibly go. 
Momof3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmom

Where did you find out when current cast members are leaving? I've only heard Lin is taking time off in July

Haven't heard anything specific about cast other than Lin; more just making assumptions based on standard contract lengths and the idea that this has opened opportunities for those involved with the show. And I can't remember my source about him- I remember reading he was leaving in July but I could have very easily misinterpreted it! Honestly, as much as I'm used to hearing the original cast on the soundtrack, I'm sure whomever they bring in to replace any who leave will be equally amazing. I just feel really lucky I was able to get tickets at all [smile]
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
His final date was recently announced. I want to say July 9- sometime around then. It was also mentioned that the entire original cast that is still in the show are all negotiating contract renewals. Backstage had an article as did the Hollywood Reporter. I read a few and follow some Bway type feeds on FB so I see this stuff now and then. I have probably posted enough Hamilton related posts that anything Hamilton shows up in my FB feed! [smile] 

Lin is going to be co-starring in the Mary Poppins sequel (cannot wait!!) and there is going to be a movie of Into the Heights that I would think he will have a heavy hand in. 
dancemom75

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #15 
DD15 and I took a trip into the city yesterday and tried our luck at the lottery for the matinee show (it was her birthday!) ... no luck, so we stood in the cancellation line for an hour and no luck ... tried the digital lottery for the evening show ... and still no luck.
MyGirlsDance

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #16 
I'm dying to see this show! 

My cousin and one of my best friends and I are planning to go to Chicago to see it (tickets aren't on sale to the general public yet) hopefully this fall/winter. 

I would pay a few hundred dollars for a ticket to see the NY cast, but as someone mentioned, the cheapest ones I've found are more in the $900 range and that's just too much for me. I'd have to factor in travel to NY and accommodations there and it's gets VERY expensive quickly!

I'd love to hear anyone's experience who has seen it and/or the #Ham4Ham performances before the daily ticket giveaway.

dancemom75

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGirlsDance
I'd love to hear anyone's experience who has seen it and/or the #Ham4Ham performances before the daily ticket giveaway.

We saw yesterday's #ham4ham - basically after the lottery submissions are entered, everyone is corralled into this marked off area in front of the stage door - my daughter was across the street and got a better view than I did! The actual appearance was only about 5 minutes!! But the energy of the crowd is absolutely exhilarating - the vibes of everyone's excitement is very palpable.

If I could figure out how to post a picture on here, I'd share the shot my daughter got of Lin!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Dancemom75, if you post to photobucket, you can get a link to post it here. That's how I've done it in the past. I have a photobucket account only for message board posting (very few photos on it! [smile])

Dd is planning that we will go to the stage door after the show Wednesday night. She is thinking she will bring her "Hamiltome," the big hard cover book that covers the making of the musical and various details about the show. It's a beautiful book. If you are a fan of the show, I'd recommend it. She's hoping to get Lin and others to autograph it. I guess I'd better bring my camera in case that happens! We don't do the stage door thing often and I'm a bit worried about the crowds with this one. 
flauta1980

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #19 
DD and I are counting down the days until Oct 9. We have tickets for the tour in Chicago. We won't have any of the originals but it will still be the show. Read that it was actually cheaper to buy season tickets in Chicago along with hotel and airfare than it is to buy tickets for Broadway.
bisous3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #20 
I was actually fortunate enough to see it twice. I got really lucky on ticketdown.com and twice was able to buy seats that regular people were selling themselves and couldn't use... for a profit of course. I know 2 kids in the show but they're both swings still so they're house seats are never confirmed until the last minute. One of the kids did take us backstage where we met the cast. This was my dd's 16th birthday gift!   Lin-manuel Miranda.jpg 
daveed diggs.jpg 

MyGirlsDance

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #21 
That is so AWESOME! I'm completely jealous!

I am going to get to see it before any cast members leave (and yes, the tickets weren't cheap!) but we got them before any announcements were made about leaving so they weren't as much as they are going for now.

Seeing it twice, did you see any of the understudies for any of the cast members? If so, how were they? Was the theater cold? Also, I've read the seats are smaller, being an older theater?

We are going on a Saturday night in  couple weeks - I am so excited!!

bisous3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
I didn't get to see any of the lead understudies, only ensemble. The theater was comfortable- not too hot or cold. The seats were also fine. If I can give you one tip- go to the bathroom BEFORE the show starts. That was the single longest bathroom line I've ever stood in during an intermission in my entire life!!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #23 

We did see 2 understudies when we saw it on June 8. We saw an understudy for Peggy/Maria. Dd felt that she had an added layer of innocence that is not there on the soundtrack for Maria Reynolds. Phillipa Soo was also out and we had Carleigh Bettiol. We found out on Twitter that night that it was the first time LMM had performed with her. You never would have known it, though maybe there was an extra special energy as a result. We thought she was just fabulous and, once again, there were layers to her performance in different areas that both dd and I preferred over the soundtrack. However, it is hard to know what is just because we were seeing it live.  I have to say many of the tempos, esp Daveed Diggs' parts, seemed even faster live! 

This is one show that I think will continue to be equally fabulous with any professional cast. In fact, I am looking forward to seeing it with completely different people in the leads in the future...probably 5 years down the road by the time I can get tickets and not pay an arm and a leg for them. You will probably faint when I tell you how much I paid. Sit down. LOL. With taxes and fees, it came to slightly over $200 for 2 tickets.  The lowest price we heard from people sitting near us was $200 per seat. The people immediately next to us where very proud that they had "only" paid a little more than $300 per seat. 

People had camped out overnight for the cancellation line. 

I'm still entering the lottery every day that I don't have to work at night. You never know. Someone has to be one of the 10 out of 10,000! The day we went, I went to #ham4ham in the rain and entered the lottery for the matinee. Had a great spot but was to short to see more than a glimpse. There were several people right around me who won, but no luck. 

MyGirlsDance

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Tendumom - thank you for sharing your experience! It's so interesting to hear about how the understudies bring a different element. I have heard that the actor who is currently the understudy and will take over for for LMM is amazing and also brings a different energy, Totally agree with you that this is a show that has so many possibilities!

I did (almost) faint at the price of your tickets! It's great that you were able to get them a that price! I will admit that we paid "a little more than $300" (HA!) for ours. But we really wanted to see this cast. If we had waited even a day or two later to buy tickets, we wouldn't be going. The prices are insane right now! We also tried to get tickets for next year when they went on sale immediately following the Tony Awards. But we had no luck. 

I have seen several musicals on tour....but I have never been to a show on Broadway and I'm excited about that, too! That's another part of the reason I decided to splurge a little. I haven't been to NYC (as a tourist) in about 25 years, and I thought maybe it was time lol. If I lived anywhere near NYC I would enter that lottery daily, too! We plan to enter it on the 3 days we'll be in the city. Like you said, someone has to win, right?!

Bisous3 - thanks for the answers on the theater and the suggestion about the bathroom! Your pictures are wonderful - thanks so much for sharing!
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #25 
My dd is also dying to see Hamilton. We live very close to NYC so we'll be entering the lottery any day in the next few weeks that we are free. Fingers crossed!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: