Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Daniella03

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Yey, recital is finished for the year. No more frantic hunting for pieces of costumes, makeup, hair pieces and corralling kids.

6 days of tech, dress rehearsal and recital is brutal :-(
Charade

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Ours finished today too. It will take me at least a week to get the songs out of my head.
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
"Recital" at DD's ballet school was Saturday.  Its been done differently every year dd's has been a student.  This year it was two 40 minute shows of short pieces by the lower level classes, one dance for each class.  Dances were put together in the last 10-15 minutes of class during the last 2 months.  Kids wore their uniforms with a little makeup in the studio in front of family and friends.  I wasn't looking forward to it.  There wasn't really time to put together polished performance pieces,  but it was actually fun for the dancers and the families.  The tiniest kids were adorable as always and the older kids who take more classes got to come out multiple times.  The teachers apparently coordinated music choices and kept things interesting, which might have been a challenge with that many ballet classes sprinkled with comparatively little jazz, modern, and character.  The kids have opportunity to perform with the company and in Nutcracker and in the Spring Ballet, but they are usually cast as live scenery, so this was a chance to be seen.  The spring ballet was a great success a couple weeks ago and summer classes start Monday.  
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Also finished last night with an incredible gala performance complete with some fabulous guest dancers (alumni and faculty who dance professionally). I was assigned to the older dressing rooms (including the guest artists) and only got to watch bits and pieces. It was an intense week between tech, 4 other performances and some other events. Very glad to have rehearsals off the schedule now and be back to a normal class schedule! It feels like it will be a vacation in comparison!

Dd was kind of bummed that several pieces were partially cut for the final performance. One of her solos was cut completely simply because one movement of a multi-movement piece was cut. In addition, her partner sustained an injury at the Saturday matinee mid-performance, so some other things were cut before that even happened. It was a bit crazy with the rechoreographing and some things just could not be done as some of the boys did not know the other pieces at all and there just wasn't enough time. 

My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Awww .... I'm sorry it's not more enjoyable.  I look so forward to it.
Daniella03

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I love watching the actual recital, but it's 6 days of brutal stress. At the theatre for 6 days and I work full time. So I leave work early 6 days an hour early. Pick my daughter up directly from school and have drive her across town in rush hour to make a 4:50 call time where she needs to be in makeup hair and costume. I have to keep track of everything for all of her dances as well as get her in and out of costumes and hair changes. One night of recital I got to watch and my girlfriend took care of her. The second night I took a care of my daughter my girlfriends daughter and somehow ended up taking care of 4 other kids. Also being a group mom got dumped on me for more than just the dance I volunteered for so had 4 groups of dancers to corral, get up to rehearsal area, watch their run through then get lined up in order and quiet back stage ready to go on for 6-8 year olds. We have two days of tech, two days of dress and two days of recital.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.