Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
rambutansandlilies

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi! This is my first post, so I hope I'm not breaking a rule by asking about a specific studio.

My child is looking for a comp studio in the Toronto area. She likes contemporary and jazz the most, and has been dancing for one year. She is a rec dancer, but really loves dance. I thought I would ask here since we are really new to dance. We are seriously looking into CDC as a possible long term studio that may allow her to transition into a more serious competitive dancer. (She has expressed interest in this which is part of the reason why I am looking for comp studios)

So what is the atmosphere there like? Is it more cutthroat or nurturing? This is my main concern since I couldn't care less about the quality dance instruction I get if the teachers are not conducive to growth and nurturing. Many people here seem to be familiar with the studio, even if they haven't been there personally. We are located in Oakville, so that is another draw.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #2 
CDC is a great studio.  They train working dancers.  I have heard that they are pretty demanding and intense with their families.

BOLD Dance Company is another one in central Mississauga that is good.  The atmosphere is very intense and demanding there too but they are great DT's if you can get past that.

DANCE Pac in NW Mississauga is another good one.  Great teachers.  Their routines tend to do really well at comps.  Not quite as intense as the first two.

There are also Elite and Kim Thomas Dance Project that offer good training but probably too far for you.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
How old is she?

The problem with having your child at a big uuber-competitive studio is that if they're not super talented they may be overlooked and not have the opportunities that she'd have otherwise.  Those studios are great when your child is old enough that they have shown some talent and have shown that they want to dedicate a significant amount of time to dance.

My suggestion is to look for a small/medium size studio that has teachers with good bios and good ballet instruction (check the bios of the ballet teachers).  You will probably even be able to find one that would let her be on the mini-team.  If she turns out to be a super talented kid then you move her when she needs something bigger.
elastigal

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Depending on what side of Oakville you are on, there are lots of choices. I would also stick to a small/medium size studio now. From what I know of CDC, as stated above it is a very intense studio and yes, I have been told a bit cutthroat. Goes with the territory. We have a mom on our team who is friends with several CDC moms so that's how I know. If you are on the west side of Oakville you have choices into Burlington as well. Oakville also has a fantastic ballet school if your DD decides to move her focus to that alone.
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
What is it with the Toronto area?  So many terrific studios and so many incredible dancers!  

Being in Michigan, we compete/competed with several studios from the greater Toronto area over the years due to our relatively "close" proximity.  There really is so much talent and such wonderful training going on up there.  I always enjoy it when we get to see any of the Canadian studios at a competition!

While I'm not familiar with the ins-and-outs of the studios, there are ample choices which will provide really great training.  Listen to the Canadian moms/dads on here, they will be sure to offer great advice.  But as I said, there are plenty of amazing studios in the area, it will just depend on finding a good fit for your DD!  Best of luck!
rambutansandlilies

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks for all the replies. DD is just eight, so it does seem like a smaller studio is a good idea. Any suggestions on good places? I will look into it more.

However, part of me thinks that she might have a chance immediately starting at CDC. I think starting early at a competitive environment might encourage her to work harder. Would it be detrimental to her training? She has LOADS of natural talent, to the point where her old DT actually subtly suggested looking at a more professional studio. (Old studio was very recreational) Of course, I'm aware that talent only takes you so far and she may lose drive and interest as she ages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elastigal
Depending on what side of Oakville you are on, there are lots of choices. I would also stick to a small/medium size studio now. From what I know of CDC, as stated above it is a very intense studio and yes, I have been told a bit cutthroat. Goes with the territory. We have a mom on our team who is friends with several CDC moms so that's how I know. If you are on the west side of Oakville you have choices into Burlington as well. Oakville also has a fantastic ballet school if your DD decides to move her focus to that alone.

elastigal, I'm curious what you mean by "goes with the territory". Does this mean that dancers are encouraged to compete with each other as part of the vibe set by the DT's? Or does this just mean all the dancers are really good, so being cutthroat just naturally happens? Is it therefore a "requirement" that kids have to be competitive and beat each other out for opportunities?
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I don't personally know the studios there, but just want to say I think cdc is brilliant. My top three cdn studios. Right beside Elite and jcsod. <3
I hope their behind the scenes is as wonderful as their choreo and dancing.
elastigal

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Competitive with each other and a lot of "Dance Mom"'esque moms who are competitive with each other, this is what I've been told from someone who knows. Their dancers are fantastic, I love watching CDC perform, but it is a very intense (huge commitment for the full-time program from an early age), professional training studio - these kids are being groomed for professional careers. Ever seen "The Next Step" on tv? CDC kids. Just depends on what you want for your DD, and your willingness to commit to a very intense schedule.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by elastigal

Oakville Ballet is fabulous.
momoftwo

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
We have had the CDC staff at our studio for the last 4 years or so... They are incredible.  I've never heard any of our dancers complain about any of the staff. They have always been friendly to the kids and parents. 
Love them!
mamaw

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #11 
CDC is great.  I have known dancers from there and teachers there for over 15 years.  They are a very competitive studio and they do require acro (at least they really seem to emphasize it).  It is great if you want your daughter to get work.  The owner / teacher is on The Next Step as are several of his dancers and the others make regular appearances on it and they use the studio there to practice sometimes.  It is extremely demanding, though.  The most demanding and "famous" studios that seem to send their dancers to professional careers and to Juliard and other noteworthy programs are CDC, Elite Danceworks (maybe too far) and Joanne Chapman (Brampton).  If your daughter is very intense and focused and willing to do nothing but dance and be prepared for a lot of critique and competition and you are willing to go to all of the intensives (even in the states) and go to at least one national comp per year...then those studios are for you.  I am not knocking them, just being honest.  The instructors are awesome and I have no bad reports nor have heard anything bad about any of them.  It could be best if you start at a smaller studio to train and gain confidence and win some awards and go to a few intensives (CDC and Elite and JC offer them for anyone) and to some conventions they attend and watch for their dancers and maybe speak to some parents.  There are smaller studios in the Oakville / Mississauga area which have great instructors , but are much smaller and your daughter might have more opportunities.  It depends on what she needs right now.

rambutansandlilies

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
There are smaller studios in the Oakville / Mississauga area which have great instructors , but are much smaller and your daughter might have more opportunities.  

mamaw, What kinds of opportunities are you referring to? Competitive, dance, or winning opportunities?
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #13 
When they are younger it can be kind of easy to get lost in the shuffle at a studio like CDC.  At a smaller studio your DD would get more attention and in theory very strong training because of that.  If she is talented for her age a small studio would cast her in lots of dances to take advantage of that.
cdnmom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Sean Boutilier is a studio you might like to consider.  There are 2 locations - Mississauga (very close to CDC) and Etobicoke.  Not as big as CDC, worth looking at, good ballet
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: