Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
2littledancers

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
My 2 daughters have 5 dance teachers and 4 student helpers. Any ideas on what to give them for an end of the season gift?

smumfrey

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
We usually all chip in together and get ours spa packages or mani/pedi gift certificates.
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I was going to ask this, too.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
A bouquet of flowers is a traditional gift for dance teachers (well, maybe just ballet). We've done that a few times.

As an assistment, I think the movie gift card may have been dd's favorite gift, aside from the personal notes and drawings from the little ones.
theyarg

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
i tunes gift cards, our teacher always needs new music, so we know it is appreciated!
dancemom1031

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Depending on the age of the assistants, maybe Starbucks or Dublin donuts or a quiznos or subway gift cards?
5678dance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
We've done movies, nails, subway, bath an body works, discount dance, iTunes, candy bouquets, and last year gave a tray of cookies specially decorated and shaped for all studio employees. (there were about 110 cookies on that tray lol.)

Flowers typically quickly die but the drawings have always been kept.
KMCandHKCsMOM

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Mani pedi gc is always a win.
orlandomom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Starbucks gc because flowers die! Even if they hate coffee, they can get an iced tea or a danish and have some ME time!
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I know I probably won't change anyone's mind but as someone who worked work with children for years and used to receive such gifts I'd say...

Don't. I can't tell you the number of children (parents) who spent good money on items for me as their 'teacher' that I never used, even gift cards and coupons (which often get stuck in a drawer and forgotten about until discovered years down the line......often after they've expired). While I understand that the intent is pure, and appreciated, it's just not necessary. I'd vote for a letter or picture or, better yet, just words of appreciation for all that they do.

ok...flame away if you must Just offering a perpective from someone who's been on the "other" side.

orlandomom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Really? You don't use gc? As a family of teachers, gc make our day! It is the only way we can afford to eat out sometimes!

jeanne4379

Triple Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I can see both sides of this conundrum. The students want to do something nice to show appreciatio. On the other hand, both my parents taught for 30+ years and I still remember them coming home with boxes of the most hideous stuff imaginable. It would've been nice if gift cards were invented then. (Mom was elementary school librarian & Dad an art teacher, so they got stuff from K-6. It adds up.) I think the best policy is to stick to something that suits the person and will get used by them. Also, I do think that you shouldn't feel as if you have to give the teacher a gift at all.
KrissisMomLvsDance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
I know I probably won't change anyone's mind but as someone who worked work with children for years and used to receive such gifts I'd say...

Don't. I can't tell you the number of children (parents) who spent good money on items for me as their 'teacher' that I never used, even gift cards and coupons (which often get stuck in a drawer and forgotten about until discovered years down the line......often after they've expired). While I understand that the intent is pure, and appreciated, it's just not necessary. I'd vote for a letter or picture or, better yet, just words of appreciation for all that they do.

ok...flame away if you must Just offering a perpective from someone who's been on the "other" side.

I always have mixed feelings on this subject every year. By this time of the year we are always really tapped out between comp season expenses and recital.Also, there is the delimma that Krissi takes 9 classes and each has an assistant. We simply cannot afford to give that many gifts. Usually Krissi just writes a nice thank you card and tries to include a memorable moment she had from class that helped her in some way. That way, it's personal but doesn't break the bank. I am glad to hear that the teachers are okay with the kids who don't give year end gifts.
smumfrey

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
I'd love it if my students would give gifts! They don't (and I understand as they have 4 teachers each semester, and 8 in a year). Gift cards would be totally appreciated.

I love that we give one large gift because it makes it affordable for all of us. Our contribution is usually $10 or so, and that covers all of the teachers.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Best gift I ever got was from a first grader, it was a card and drawing of me teaching the class. I'd rather get a nice hand written card or picture than something I won't use. (Gift cards, even small ones however are always great)
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
I am a teacher's aide and I love getting gift cards. All the knicknacks and mugs, not so much.
heartmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
I was just thinking about this this morning. I wanted to include a GC for DD two main teachers this year along with a thank you note. My mom was a teacher and thus, I don't really want to give a gift, but figured a gift card would be appreciated. Only problem is I'm having trouble deciding on where to. I don't want to do Starbucks because I'm thinking they don't really drink coffee. I didn't want to do something totally generic like Target, although it would probably get used! I thought about Bath and Body Works as being generic enough. Any other places people really enjoy getting GCs to?
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #18 
I stopped with the end of year gifts when DS started high school. At one time there were over 25 teachers between dance and school and it got crazy. I do give homemade cookies at Christmas time.
carriesmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
We stopped with the DT gifts when DD started working as a class assistant herself. It just got too expensive, with a total of eight DTs plus SO and office manager and comp choreographers...By June we are trying to pay balances due for nationals and we simply can't afford all of those gifts. DD does write each of them a note thanking them for a great dance year.

DD assists in two ballet classes and has already started coming home with end of the year gifts from her little dancers. Four of them chipped in and got her a mani and pedi at a local salon, which was much appreciated. The gift card was in a really cute homemade tulle bag tied around a bottle of nail polish - cute presentation. Another gave her a bag of those Lindt chocolate balls with a nice note. Last year she got a gift certificate for a free ice cream cone at a local ice cream shop, and the girl had drawn a picture of DD in a tutu eating ice cream - DD really liked that one!

I don't think you can go wrong with a gift card if you get it from a place that most people would use.
dancemom74

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:

And here I thought just paying my bill on time was satisfactory. Explains a lot! I do think a thank you card would be a nice touch. Not only could it be free (homemade) but the kids could do it (Mom doesn't).
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancemom74
Quote:

And here I thought just paying my bill on time was satisfactory. Explains a lot! I do think a thank you card would be a nice touch. Not only could it be free (homemade) but the kids could do it (Mom doesn't).

I actually know people who admit to giving gifts in the hopes that it will result in little perks for their kids (or themselves in certain cases). And others admit that they are afraid not to give gifts because they fear just the opposite if they end up being one of the few who is not giving a gift (i.e. a gift to the bus driver might make her more apt to beep the horn when she pulls up to your house w/your kindergartener if you aren't outside waiting/no gift might make her more inclined to just drive off). IMO it's gotten a little out of control.

And just for the record please understand that I am absolutely NOT accusing people here of doing that.....just sharing what I know to be true of others.
KN8Max Mom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
We have always done teacher gifts from the time K was 4. I try to do something that they would actually use. A couple times K & I made dance related notecards and the teachers actually asked for more. (I was surprised because I thought it might be a "lame" gift.)

I also usually donate to the group fund that purchases flowers for the teachers and a studio gift. (Last year they got a custom rug with the studio name on it.)

Now that K is an assistant she often comes home with little gifts at the end of the year. Her favorites are Coffee gift cards or little travel size lotions. She doesn't eat candy but gets a lot of bags of those too. (Her brothers like those!) She appreciates each gift but isn't bothered if some kids don't do it.

Most of the kids in our studio also give "favors" to each other the evening of the last recital performance. These range from funny socks, a giant candy bar, a single flower, a baggie of hershey's kisses, etc. For the past couple years we've made a bunch of chocolate suckers in the shape of a flower and handed them out as recital favors. (Last year we got a few complaints from the preschool parents so we aren't giving the suckers to preschoolers this year. We are doing crayons & coloring pages instead for K's classes)
Pink Elephant

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Our teachers have always been appreciative to receive a little something. The way I see it, and I teach music, is teachers do not teach for the money. They teach for the love of their subject and do not always have the funds to "splurge" on themselves. I limit a gift to around $10-15. But DD only has 2 studio instructors. Last year, we gave Tervis Tumblers. This year, we're thinking of ordering floral hairpieces to wear with their buns. Etsy has some really cute ones.
stpierremom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #24 
For my kids' school teachers, I usually buy bookstore gift cards. This year, I'm using my Discover CashBack award to buy them personalized Discover gift cards (like the Visa gift card, but Discover prints their name on it).

For dance teachers, we give iTunes gift cards and the teachers love them. Luckily, we are at a small studio and can afford to do this!
candybcg

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Sometimes a simple little gift is enough to let them know their time and efforts are appreciated.

A cute idea is a small treat bag filled with different mints (Peppermint Patties, Andies mints, Life Savor mints.. etc), tie with a cute ribbon preferably in your studio colors and attach the following note:

Thanks for your commit-"mint" to help.  Thanks for your encourage-"mint".  Thanks for your involve-"mint".  Thanks for your invest-"mint" of time.  Thanks for making each class an enjoy-"mint".  Thanks for helping to create a nice environ-"mint". Everything you have done has really "mint" a lot to me.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.