Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Charade

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
My daughter's ballet costume has a skirt made of 2 layers of stiff tulle and 2 layers of softer tulle. It is very wrinkled. I tried putting it into the shower a few times, but that doesn't seem to help.  Any other suggestions short of taking it to a dry cleaner and having it steamed?
camercad

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I use a home/travel fabric steamer for DD's costumes. 
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
A hair dryer works like a charm. DD had to take 3 tutus to Germany in a tutu bag squished into the overhead compartment. They were really bad and the hair dryer made them look brand new.
Charade

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerinamom13
A hair dryer works like a charm. DD had to take 3 tutus to Germany in a tutu bag squished into the overhead compartment. They were really bad and the hair dryer made them look brand new.

What setting did she use? The highest? Did she dampen them first?
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
We never dampened anything and we used the highest setting but kept the dryer a good distance away from the material.  We held it pretty close at first, but as it got hotter and the wrinkles started to come out, we'd back off.  You can always start lower if you are worried about burning the fabric because I'm sure it could depend on the hair dryer.  The heavy duty ones get pretty hot.
DanceTumbleCheerMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Hang it upside down and use a blow dryer on medium heat. 
czmcdaniel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
For competition, when we get to the hotel I hang our ballet dress upside down, spray it with a static wrinkle release and then run the shower on the hottest setting to steam up the bathroom. 
iceberg*lover

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
you can iron tulle!!! no lie!! I have several times. Just use a synthetic setting on your iron
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I have also ironed tulle several times.  Just keep the temp really low and it works great.  You can also use a pressing cloth if you'd prefer, but I've ironed directly on tulle with no ill effects many times.
jackilvsmath

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #10 
OMG - thank you for the hair dryer tip. It works like charm. The wrinkles disappear in seconds.
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
We don't have a steamer so I use the steam from my iron. If there are really bad spots I'll steam those spots against the ironing board.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.