Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
wannabedancemom

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #51 
Regarding BAs and double majors, it totally depends on the school and the program. 

Some schools have a strong BA or that schools that have a BA or BFA, sometimes there is not a huge difference between the two, so do your research! Look at the program bios for musical and dance performances that you see, everyone comes from different walks of life. Not being a BFA does not mean you will not be successful or dance professionally. 

Regarding double majors and "back ups" some schools have a dance education program where they are able to receive their masters and still make it work with the BFA program. It also depends on what the second major is, DD has friends who are doing Communications, English, Exercise Science, Anthropology as well or she knows some who are minoring in Business, this also depends on the student, how disciplined and organized they are, and often these classes count as liberal arts credits that will go towards their BFA degree. 

My final thoughts are people go to college and major in something that ends up having nothing to do with their future career. We all know that dancers have plenty of real world skiils. After receiving a BFA your student can go to Law school or Med school, because at the end of the day a degree is a degree. 
csdancemom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #52 
Lad16

I'm the mom of college sophomore in a BFA program. 

Here is something that jumped out to me in the original post:

'My DD does not "place" consistently at comps with her solos but is one of the stronger dancers on her team'

My question is how does her studio overall do at competitions? If she is one of the stronger dancers on her team, is she being challenged enough at her current studio? When my DD changed studios, she suddenly found herself among many other strong dancers, and that pushed her to "up" her game. That might not be the case for all, but it certainly was true for my DD.

Second, whoever said "Ballet, Ballet, Ballet" was spot on. For anyone considering college auditions, more ballet training is critical to being prepared. Other than that, it doesn't hurt to audition for other opportunities (conventions, scholarships) just to get the practice. 

Third, make sure your DD is networking in the dance world to learn about different programs so she can find the one that's right for her. DD found her first choice through word of mouth and talking with current students in the program; her choice was not based on a top ten list, where her friends applied, or any research that I did, but what she learned on her own. She's very happy with her program. 

Lad16

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #53 
Yes, the team always places very well, this year we switched to ballet only in hopes of strengthening technique. Thanks for your insights, I really appreciate it
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #54 
Quote:
Originally Posted by csdancemom
Lad16

'My DD does not "place" consistently at comps with her solos but is one of the stronger dancers on her team'

My question is how does her studio overall do at competitions? If she is one of the stronger dancers on her team, is she being challenged enough at her current studio? When my DD changed studios, she suddenly found herself among many other strong dancers, and that pushed her to "up" her game. That might not be the case for all, but it certainly was true for my DD.

Second, whoever said "Ballet, Ballet, Ballet" was spot on. For anyone considering college auditions, more ballet training is critical to being prepared. Other than that, it doesn't hurt to audition for other opportunities (conventions, scholarships) just to get the practice. 

Third, make sure your DD is networking in the dance world to learn about different programs so she can find the one that's right for her. DD found her first choice through word of mouth and talking with current students in the program; her choice was not based on a top ten list, where her friends applied, or any research that I did, but what she learned on her own. She's very happy with her program. 

Amen to the bolded.  Ash recently had her first "professional" audition.  She was actually auditioning for a scholarship to a summer intensive (which she did earn) with a local professional company.  The audition was actually a lumped group of company hopefuls, trainee hopefuls and scholarship applicants.  It consisted of a ballet class, followed by learning company rep.  Cuts were made throughout the ballet class.  If you survived the ballet class, then you got to hand in your resume and head shot.  Then additional cuts were made during company rep.  They started with over 40 dancers, and ended with 17 (14 girls and 3 boys).  

Ash went in as a 17-yr-old looking for a summer intensive scholarship.  Because she is tall (5'9") and carries herself with an aura of maturity in both life and dance, she is often mistaken for early 20s.  No only did she make it through the ballet class and was allowed to turn in her resume and head shot, she was one of the 14 girls still standing at the end.  There were several graduating and graduated college students at the audition that she knew including a few who teach/sub at our studio.  All of them got cut during the ballet class and never got to turn in their resume and head shot.  But Ash did in part because she has had consistently strong ballet training throughout her dance life thus far.  She is not perfect by any means, but this audition was very eye-opening for her!
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #55 
Quote:
Originally Posted by csdancemom
Lad16

That would be me...  At least 4,000 times.  [smile]
MSDanceMomma

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #56 
I have been thinking about the Plan A and Plan B and I think in our case what won was Plan B because my daughter realized she didn't have the "passion" for dance, the willingness to work for it above all else as her as much as some of her dancer friends do. She misses dance and has tried to find ways to continue some dance post high school but has yet to say "yup should have gone for the performing arts options." 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.