Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
LittleDivaDancer

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
DD8 has been mostly out of dance (just 1hr of ballet/week) for about 8 months now due to Sever's Disease. She's just been accepted back onto the Petite team and will be staying back to 8-10hrs/week of dance in August. However, she has lost a lot of flexibility and is a bit "out of shape" for her (which is still in great shape for me lol). Can anyone recommend some good exercises or stretching routines she can work on at home? she likes to watch stretching videos on youtube if anyone could recommend a good one. Specifically she's working on getting her splits back.
compmom123

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Dd14 likes the power girl fitness series on YouTube
dancemonkey

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I would suggest you start slow. Going from 1 hour to 8 -10 hours doesn't seem like a good idea. I'd get with your studio and set up a plan.
LittleDivaDancer

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
QUOTE=dancemonkey]I would suggest you start slow. Going from 1 hour to 8 -10 hours doesn't seem like a good idea. I'd get with your studio and set up a plan.
Very true, and we're not just throwing her into the 8 to 10 hours. She's been doing summer dance camp since school let out which is anywhere from 4 to 5 hours of actual dancing a day with breaks in between and she seems to be holding out fine. She was also taking a twice-weekly strength and conditioning class but that's out for the summer now hence the reason for the stretching and conditioning at home. We'll check out the videos compmom123 mentioned!
JulieDB

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
When my daughter returned after an injury, she did take almost as many hours as before.  Actually a few more than your daughter, but...  She had restrictions.  She was not allowed to do certain moves at first and sometimes had to sit things out.  She also took private lessons and that teacher worked with a plan laid out by her PT.  That teacher teaches both ballet and pilates so often those lessons were kind of half and half.  And it wasn't so much that she needed to "learn" ballet but get corrections so that she didn't re-injure herself.  Hers was a different kind of injury though.

She actually did make it through that year but by the next year, she got another injury in the same area, most likely from overdoing things and not keeping up on her core muscles over the summer.  So she then had to cut waaay back on the house, limiting herself to just ballet.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.