Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
dancemami

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
How do you guys carry your costumes/accessories/makeup.. etc.. around at competitions? 

If you use just garment bags how does that work for you and how do you set up?!

Have you guys heard of anything cheaper then Dream Duffles or Rac n Rolls??! (way to expensive for me)

Any tips will help! And links to stuff!! I love details on how you guys set up your getting ready station.

rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
We bought a small DD, and then a medium DD the following year. I had a friend try to rig a pop-up clothes rack into a suitcase, but it just didn't work for her and she caved on the DD also. I know some people buy Stanley Fat Max, which is technically a mobile tool box, to cart around accessories and hair/makeup. I have 2 dancers, and the small and the med. DD work wonderfully-I don't bring anything else except my purse. I have 2 tackle boxes from DD that hold make up, brushes, pins, ponytail holders, etc. And I use the nets inside the DD to secure hairspray bottles and and stuff like that. I also use the DD garment bags because they have the see-through pouches to hold shoes, tights, and accessories for each costume, so it's easy to stay organized. I know you said the DD or RnR is out of your budget, and I'm sure someone has some good ideas on improvising on this thread! Good Luck! 
dancemonkey

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
How many dances is your child? We just got a Dream Duffel after years of competing. Also the age of your child will determine your set up and the competition. I'd say one of the most important things is to scope out wear a plug is in the ballroom especially if you have hair changes.
dancemami

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancemonkey
How many dances is your child? We just got a Dream Duffel after years of competing. Also the age of your child will determine your set up and the competition. I'd say one of the most important things is to scope out wear a plug is in the ballroom especially if you have hair changes.

She is 15 and she is in 3 dances. (First year of competition dance)
dancemonkey

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Very helpful. You probably don't need a rack at all. Are you staying at the competition hotel? If you are I would just bring your costumes in one garment bag. Unless you have a lot of accessories. Then you can pack them separately. Get a gallon freezer ziplock bag for each routine...hole punch the top and hang it on the hanger. In your ziplock put all your props, jewelry, or tights needed for the dance. My girls always bring there dance bags and get a caboodle for her make up. If you want a rack since she is 15 I'd get a 30 -60 one at target or some store like that in the laundry section. Enjoy your first competition...it's a trip and absolutely nothing like dance moms. Lol
Berricre8v

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I had a RacnRoll for DD1, but sold it when my younger daughter started competing and we had too many costumes to fit.  In hindsight, I should have just bought another one for the second daughter.    I had rigged up a rolling luggage rack with stacking plastic scrapbook type drawers.  It worked well, but was huge to transport. 
As my girls get older, their costumes seem to have less fabric to them.    So,this year I am trying something new.  I have an extra large rolling suitcase (leopard print!) that was left by my son and daughter-in-law when they moved.  I have all the costumes, with pieces, in individual gallon ziplock bags, with the few that need to hang in garment bags.  I also have a tripod type clothes rack.  I have a sweater hanging storage thingy with 5 compartments that collapses into the suitcase.  When we set up at the comp, I hang the sweater thing off one arm and the ziplock bags are put into the compartments for easy access. Garment bags go on the other arms, one for each girl.  But as they are different age levels, they don't usually compete at the same time anyway, so aren't in each others way.  
This new system had its first road test this weekend at NUVO and I really liked it.   I had 8 costumes and all hair and makeup needs in the suitcase and there was plenty of room for more.  We have to add 9 more costumes for the next competition, for a total of 17, so it's going to be tight.   But again, the girls are different ages.  If I have to have DD1 set up in the suitcase, then have all DD2 in a rubbermade tote to swap out after DD1 is done, I may do that.  But I'm hoping most of them, excepting the ones that will need garment bags, will fit.
Berricre8v

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
I would just bring your costumes in one garment bag. Unless you have a lot of accessories... Get a gallon freezer ziplock bag for each routine...hole punch the top and hang it on the hanger. In your ziplock put all your props, jewelry, or tights needed for the dance. 

Yes!  For 3 costumes, this is perfect!!
dancemami

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berricre8v
Quote:
I would just bring your costumes in one garment bag. Unless you have a lot of accessories... Get a gallon freezer ziplock bag for each routine...hole punch the top and hang it on the hanger. In your ziplock put all your props, jewelry, or tights needed for the dance. 

Yes!  For 3 costumes, this is perfect!!

Thanks so much!!!
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
For those few dances, I would just use a rolling suitcase or duffel bag.  Easy to take in and won't take much room in the dressing room.  You could always get a collapsable rack if you need to and put it in the suitcase/bag.

I would do just as dancemonkey suggested and put the costumes in separate bags.  You can go with large Ziplocs or I use garment bags that I purchased at Dollar Tree.  I have a garment bag for each costume.  I include all pieces for that costume in that bag.  I often have several gallon size bags hanging from my costume hanger because I package each accessory in it's own bag.

My makeup and competition supplies are each in hanging organizer bags that have clear fronts so I can see where everything is.  If you don't get a garment rack, then you wouldn't need hanging bags though.

Many people use caboodles or divided tackle/craft boxes that work well for makeup and other competition must haves. 

You're going to get lots of great tips on this site!  See what works best for you!  We all have our own systems, none are right and none are wrong...just different!

trinitymomof2

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
For years we used garment bags plus our make-up cases and dance bags. Last year I broke down and bout a medium DD for each girl and even though they were pricey, it was one of the best investments I have ever made.
birdmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
For 6 years I used a competitors cart: http://www.competitorscart.com . We upgraded to a medium Dream Duffle last year. I still use the competitors cart for solos and d/t's because those are usually on a different day from the group numbers and the DD is too big for 1 or 2 costumes.
highlandmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
There are a few post on here that people have done a item like the Dream Duffel but have constructed it themselves.  I did one (got the idea on here) and used a rolling duffel bag ($15.00 at Walmart) then bought some PVC pipe with connectors (cost less then $20 I believe).  Worked great had it for a few years and have now given it to another student to use as we now have a Rac-n-Roll.  Looking back I think I would have gone with something like a wheeled hockey bag as they are a little taller, and the material is thicker, and they have more pockets in them.  Downside they are more expensive ($40 +)
Sarah

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
I have just constructed a kind of home made Dream Duffel for DD (it's her birthday present, so I finally get to unveil it next month!).  It's a rolling suitcase with a PVC rack that breaks down and is strapped to the base of the suitcase.  Once the rack goes up, I also have one of those hanging shelf things, with bins holding hair accessories, extra tights, etc.  Makeup lives in a bezazzled tackle box that fits into the bottom of the suitcase for travel.  We'll see how it works, as it's new for this season
rgaston19

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #14 
@sarah do you have pics of your duffel you made?
dancedaughters

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
I just bought dream duffels this year.  Two dancers, 6 dances for one and 7 for the other, and different ages.  Up until now a rolling rack from The Container Store has worked fine, although a little awkward to bring into some venues.  

One thing to keep in mind is that comps run over 2-3 days, so you may not have all your dances on one day.  I agree with those who have suggested just a suitcase, or even a laundry basket with the costumes laid out neatly would work.  Laundry baskets are what most of our dancers use until they have so many numbers that rack starts to look attractive.
mumofmany

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
We use garment bags. Generally DD has 4/5 costumes and they all fit in her capezio garment bag. I also use a 2 sided hanging organizer.
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
I viewed the DD's as a luggage investment-we can always use them for straight luggage if the girls quit dancing!
theyarg

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
I bought the large dream duffel last year since we were supposed to go to Myrtle Beach for Nationals and DD was in 6 groups, 2 dance solos, vocal solo, and a duo.  I like it very much since I don't need anything else, everything fits in there, including a couple of hats.  I use the dream duffel makeup case, which is not as easy as a caboodle or a stanley, but it does ok for us since once she is made up, she usually only needs a little touch up here or there.  It isn't good however if she only has solos or duo on a day.  I did use it for that last year, since that was still 4 costumes plus 2 hats, and I really like having a rack to hang things on since nobody really likes to share, even if you have only one costume, some people get annoyed, so I like to be self sufficient.  This year with just 1 solo it won't be necessary, but as we are doing a nationals at the Cape, I think it was still worth the investment.  No separate rack and lots of room.  You just have to make sure you have the trunk space for the one you buy.  DD has 8 dances this year, 7 groups and 1 solo, so we probably could have gotten away with a medium, but with hats and accessories, I think it will still be worth having the large.  I don't like having to go back and forth to load and unload the car, especially in the winter, so I love having just one bag.
MSDanceMomma

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #19 
We have a rolling rack, Stanley and various duffel bags and we had a pop up laundry basket for quick changes.  The funny part is now that my dd is in hs, we rarely use any of it. We're almost to a "minimalist" approach to packing at this point.   She packs most of her costumes (the bra top/booty short combo is rampant) in ziplock gallon bags. If she has a "dress type costume,"  (ballet, lyrical, etc.) she will hang those in one of the garment bags we have.  We take a duffel bag with the shoes, the make-up bag tucked in it, the hairspray and stuff and some snacks.  We generally do comps within commuting distance so we may also throw in the car extra stuff to get if needed (such as book or magazine to read, snacks, drinks, spare tights).  Even if we stay in a hotel, we would still drive to the comp.  We have only flown to nationals and then, we had a hotel room at the venue. 
Chica

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Dream Duffle offers factory seconds. They replenish their inventory every Monday. They are perfectly fine. They screws and handles are sometimes not even or aligned but its a lot cheaper then a regular 'perfect one'. I bought inexpensive garment bags at IKEA, 3 for $2.99. They're not super durable but they'll get you through the season if you dont abuse them too much
asunutgirl

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmom
For 6 years I used a competitors cart: http://www.competitorscart.com . We upgraded to a medium Dream Duffle last year. I still use the competitors cart for solos and d/t's because those are usually on a different day from the group numbers and the DD is too big for 1 or 2 costumes.

I have the competitor's cart as well and love it for 2-3 dances.
beachy

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #22 
We are spoiled. Our SO transports all of the costumes to competitions, so we just have a duffel bag to carry tights and shoes in. They also have a makeup artist, so we don't even do our own makeup. (thank goodness because I am so not good at that stuff!)
littleladybugs

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Please check out

starkitz.com

I found some amazing bags with tons of huge pockets. They are even PVC free and much cheaper than any of the other ones I have found. They are wider and have the D ring and even has a hoop at the bottom to fold in half.
And the PVC free bags from Starkitz seems to be not as rigid as the other ones and better for the environment.
They are located in Canada so with the exchange rate and the US dollar being higher it really is a great value.
MinnDanceMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Dream duffels are really the perfect option, but you can probably achieve the same effect with a suitcase, garment bags, pop up rack, small collapsible stool, and makeup bag. Ideally, all of this would fit in your suitcase like the dream duffel.
ccdcmomlisa`

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Our DT and her mom do the hair and makeup so I don't have to take that to competitions. I just use a small rolling suitcase for her costumes. I put them in the XL ziploc bags w the name of the dance and the accessories it needs. If something can't be folded up like that I have a garment bag(bought at target and it's a thick plastic type) that I use. That has worked perfect for us all the yrs she's been doing this. She's been in 8 dances several yrs and everything fit fine. I just don't see the point in a dream duffle! they are huge and take up way too much room in my opinion. We are jammed in a dressing room so it wouldn't work if anyone on our team had one in the dressing room. The dressing room at our local venue has a closet w a hanging rod/shelf in it. If we go out of town and the venue doesn't have a hanging rack available we run to target and buy a rolling rack for $20 to use for the weekend.. We leave it there or throw it away when we leave.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: