Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
AthleteArtistDancer

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Anyone have experience with this program? One of our teachers in the pre-pro program is recommending it, but I've not heard much.  Thoughts?

https://www.fortwayneballet.org/2015-summer-intensive  (I know it says 2015 in the URL, but the information is for the 2017 season)
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Have you checked Ballet Talk for Dancers?  I have never heard of it, but that means nothing...[smile]  BTFD might have info.
AthleteArtistDancer

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I did try, but BTFD won't let you register for an account if you use Yahoo, Gmail, or any other POP account. I tried several months ago and, when I wrote their admins asking why I couldn't register, was told that those services provide "temporary" email addresses, and they demanded something more permanent -- like AOL. Never mind that I've had my "temporary" accounts since 1994... they seem a bit inflexible and unwelcoming, but that could be just me.

PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Several students from my daughter's old ballet school have gone over the years and all report that they improved during the summer. It is a small program with a lot of personal attention. Sorry I don't have much more information on the program than that, though.

With regards to registering with BTFD - do you have an email address through your ISP or cell phone provider? I signed up using my university email address and I graduated quite a long time ago - the email auto-forwards to my Gmail account, though, so it wasn't an inconvenience for me and it met the requirements.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 

Those that run Ballet Talk are old fashioned than anything else. They work hard to keep spam off the boards. They do have a lot of rules as well but it is still probably the best source of info out there on many SIs. I used a free AOL account to register. I mainly use that account for store emails and the like, nothing else personal.

Based on the site, this may very well be a bit of a lesser known gem and lesser known only because it seems more regional based on where they audition. A 1:15 teacher to student ratio is excellent for a summer program. Those bigger name, better known programs often have ratios more like 1:30.   

DD knows at least 1 apprentice and 1 trainee there, but I don't think either of them went for the SI. 

joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AthleteArtistDancer
Anyone have experience with this program? One of our teachers in the pre-pro program is recommending it, but I've not heard much.  Thoughts?

https://www.fortwayneballet.org/2015-summer-intensive  (I know it says 2015 in the URL, but the information is for the 2017 season)

I just checked Ballet Talk for Dancers and they don't have that program listed in their files.  I haven't heard any reviews on it either.  That doesn't necessarily mean anything though; there are lots of great smaller programs!
AthleteArtistDancer

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks for the suggestion of using my university email, I was able to register on BTFD that way without issue. The whole thing still bugs me - I can't use my main account because someone else thinks (wrongly) that Gmail accounts aren't legit?!?  *sigh*  But at least I can access the boards. 

I appreciate the information everyone's put forward -- it's hard to know with some of the small programs whether the expense is worth it, but it sounds like this might be a good bet for my girl.  Auditions are happening over the next couple of weeks, let's see how it goes. [smile]
kr12

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
One of the teachers from Joffrey Academy in Chicago teaches there for SI (at least did in pervious yrs), Kim Sagami.  She has occasionally subbed for DD's classes and the kids love her!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: