Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Kitzka

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Not sure how many of you may be looking forward to this new series and not sure how appropriate it is for all of our dancers but i just saw on Ew.com that they are allowing folks an exclusive free first look at the first episode for 24 hours on NOv 2nd (aka today)

Here's the copy from their website. i have been waiting for this series and it stars some amazing ballet dance talent

Bringing to the stage an impressive resume — the series was created by Breaking Bad writer/ executive producer Moira Walley-Beckett — Flesh and Bonefollows Claire (Black Swan’s Sarah Hay), a troubled but gifted ballet dancer who runs away from home to audition for a New York ballet company. Her talents catch the eye of the company’s temperamental artistic director (House of Cards’ Ben Daniels), but his expectations for Claire go beyond anything she expected. How far is she willing to go?

One of EW’s picks for the best new shows of the season, the cast ofFlesh and Bone includes 22 professional ballet dancers. Among them: Center Stage actor and former American Ballet Theatre soloist Sascha Radetsky (Ross), former American Ballet Theatre principal dancer Irina Dvorovenko (Kiira), Ballet Arizona company dancer Raychel Diane Weiner (Daphne), Boardwalk Empire’s Emily Tyra (Mia), and So You Think You Can Dance favorite Alex Wong. The cast also includes Josh Helman (X-Men: Days of Future Past), Damon Herriman (Justified), Tina Benko (The Good Wife) and Tovah Feldshuh (The Walking Dead).

ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
If Sascha Radetsky is in it, I'm watching!!!!!!!!!!!!!![wink]  DD got her photo taken with him in NY a few summers ago.  I look at the photo more than she does, I bet!  ETA - I found it on my phone.

that  IMG_0007.JPG 
dancindaughter

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
DD14 loves him!  He was part of the guest faculty at her intensive this summer.
FantabulouslyCherry

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Sascha AND Alex???? I am so there!! LOL
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I started watching tonight on On Demand. Haven't watched the whole episode but I'm loving it!! DD's choreographer and favorite ballet teacher from Joffrey this summer was the ballet master so I've been dying for weeks to watch!
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I'm with ballerinamom13!  Sasha Radetsky, and I am in!

I have a pic of Ash with Sasha too!  One of my faces.  She took a class from him at ASH,  and loved every minute of it.  And for her, it was the first time she had ever met a "star" in the dance world.

dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
So dark, so disturbing. Dancing is so incredible, I am hooked (still not completely sure how I feel about DD watching even at 16!). I'm a fan.
Kitzka

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks for the review. Now that I'm home I'm going to watch. At the very least I want to see the dancing!
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Thanks for sharing! I watched earlier. Definitely not for my DD13s viewing at this point in life (nudity, tons of s*x, drug use etc.) but I'll watch later when it comes to DVD. Looks very interesting and I love the ballet slant to the drama!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Just watched the first episode. So intense!

Very excited for Sarah Hay, a local gal, to be getting so much attention! She is a superb dancer and, obviously now, an excellent actress. A little odd to see her with her hair dyed, but I think it did make it easier for me to quickly see her as the character and not herself. 

Also, if your kids had the Mary Kate and Ashley episode where they learned ballet, Sarah is one of the other ballet students in the class. Little fun factoid. Though, most of our kids came after the Mary Kate and Ashley videos. My dd had a few and adored them. 

Funny about the Sasha connections. Dd has worked with him a few times. The first time, she was standing with a group of dancers her age, off to the side and he came right up and introduced himself to her. The other dancers were all from JKO, so he apparently knew the rest of them. Dd is a huge Center Stage fan (she and a certain group of friends can recite the movie line for line) and said she could barely speak because "Charlie" was talking to her! LOL. From a Center Stage point of view, the company is the same... the American Ballet Company and Sasha, at least for now, seems to be playing a nice guy again. 

DDdances

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Yes intense! And not suitable for Dd12.
I think my next guilty pleasure for sure.
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
http://dancemagazine.com/views/flesh-and-bone-why-does-hollywood-insist-ballet-is-so-dark/

Article in Dance Magazine about it. Article asks why ballet behind the scenes is always portrayed as so dark on screen. I think without dramitization, it wouldn't be Hollywood! I find the hard work day in and day out of ballet to be kind of dull to watch on TV! Not to mention, the dancers I know are incredibly responsible which would make for boring TV too [smile]
kradonov

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Just watched it.  Very dark.  WAY more sex and nudity than dancing.  Definitely not for my 13yo DD.
mom2tall

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Ugh - I didn't enjoy it in the least. I can't bear the over-the-top plot lines just to see the occasional dancing, which was quite nice. 
kradonov

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Just watched The Turning Point on Netflix.  Had to purge Flesh and Bone from my brain.
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Thanks for your feedback. I watched approx 20 minutes. Thank goodness I did. Way too much n*ked s*x for my 16 year old. And she saw Book of Mormon with me.
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5678StarMom
http://dancemagazine.com/views/flesh-and-bone-why-does-hollywood-insist-ballet-is-so-dark/

Article in Dance Magazine about it. Article asks why ballet behind the scenes is always portrayed as so dark on screen. I think without dramitization, it wouldn't be Hollywood! I find the hard work day in and day out of ballet to be kind of dull to watch on TV! Not to mention, the dancers I know are incredibly responsible which would make for boring TV too [smile]

Good point! DD16 and most of her teammates are all A nerds. Thank goodness we are not reality TV fodder.
happytappyfeet

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Just watched it. I usually love creepy, but this was a little over the top even for me. The phone call with her brother was just icky. A couple of things seemed a little unbelievable as well. Like the dancer with the huge apartment and wardrobe. I know she has a job on the side, but I can't imagine that would be enough to pay for that apartment in NYC. Also the audition had a dancer crying as she's being scolded at the barre. I can't imagine a dancer reacting that way to something that was fairly mild given some of the stuff I've heard from my DDs about their ballet classes. I was impressed by the acting so far -- I just hope Tovah Feldshuh's role gets a little meatier. She's a great actress. I'll probably give it a couple of more episodes before I decide to continue or not.
fishoutofwater

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytappyfeet
Just watched it. I usually love creepy, but this was a little over the top even for me. The phone call with her brother was just icky. A couple of things seemed a little unbelievable as well. Like the dancer with the huge apartment and wardrobe. I know she has a job on the side, but I can't imagine that would be enough to pay for that apartment in NYC. Also the audition had a dancer crying as she's being scolded at the barre. I can't imagine a dancer reacting that way to something that was fairly mild given some of the stuff I've heard from my DDs about their ballet classes. I was impressed by the acting so far -- I just hope Tovah Feldshuh's role gets a little meatier. She's a great actress. I'll probably give it a couple of more episodes before I decide to continue or not.

I watched the first two episodes today.  Holy moly!  About the girl with the huge apartment, I got online and checked out the "cast" section on the starz site for the show.  I guess this may be explained later on in the show, but it said she is from "old NY money" according to her character bio.  It was interesting to read about all the characters and the actors/dancers portraying them.
happytappyfeet

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Baileysmom, ahhh that makes more sense about the apartment.
dirtchic

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytappyfeet

The phone call with the brother was HORRIBLE! It explained what happened at the beginning of the show though. 

I watched the first episode over the weekend and I loved it! 
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
The actress said she had to remind herself some days that she is NOT the character! 

I know that it is all over the top and exaggerated, but most of what I saw in the first episode had elements of truth. Through dd, we have certainly known a number of talented dancers who come from a great deal of money. Dd knows dancers who struggle with eating disorders. The do sometimes walk around nude, but not holding toilet tissue while looking for a tampon! I walked in on one of my freshman college roommates in the act, so that certainly happens. 

I do like that I can watch this at home where I can easily fast forward through anything I do not care to see... unlike when I saw the Black Swan in the theater and actually did close my eyes at times! 
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #23 
I'm on episode five, it gets much worse.  The director pimps the lead out to a sponsor and then the strip club plot and the Brother plot go bonkers and I didn't like the acting from the lead, there's only so much of that "I'm so innocent and unsure" face I can take.
FantabulouslyCherry

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #24 
I finally got to watch the first episode. Holy crap!! I love dark material, but this was too much even for me. The ending phone call with the brother gave me goosebumps!
fishoutofwater

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantabulouslyCherry
I finally got to watch the first episode. Holy crap!! I love dark material, but this was too much even for me. The ending phone call with the brother gave me goosebumps!

I watched episode 6 today.  That relationship gets A LOT worse.  ICK!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.