Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
tutuswithouttears

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
My older DD just turned sixteen back in May. She has always been on the shorter, slim side and is constantly underweight, so I was not alarmed that she hadn't gotten her period, especially since I got mine when I was 15. She got her first period last night. She's had minimal cramping and is otherwise okay, but she tried to put in a tampon and had an actual panic attack. She came out of the bathroom looking like she was about to throw up and told me she couldn't do it because it hurt.
Nationals are next week, and I'm at a loss. There's no way she can dance with a pad as one of her costumes is light blue and white. Thoughts? What should we do?
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Here's to hoping its over by next week.  But to answer the question, make sure she is using a slim tampon, with plastic (smooth) packaging, and perhaps try to lubricant on the applicator - especially if her flow is light. She should also try to relax, because being tense will make discomfort more likely. Wishing her well.
NCKDAD

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
We literally just went through the very first period and Nationals. This may be TMI but I had to help her more than expected for the first few junior slim pearl tampons (so she could swim with friends). It was traumatic for her- in and out. Lol. The other girls were a huge help. She danced using panty liners- she has several white, off white and light costumes. No issues but by the time she wore them it was near the end of Nationals and her period. I actually posted about it too if you want to look back to see if there are any helpful hints there. Really you couldn't tell- she was anal about changing just before costume on (and waiting until the last minute for the costume) and then right after. She had 11 dances spread throughout nationals, with national team rehearsals and opening number, and 2 dances called back to recompete. No one ever noticed the pad once- but the cut of one of her nude undies wasn't consistent with the rest and she did have the bottom of them showing for one dance 😢 No tights- except for one of the dances.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
If it hurt, it's because she was either not pointing it in the right direction or she did not put it in far enough. 

Sometimes, it is helpful to assist with the first one to tell her how to adjust the angle. She needs to place it further than she thinks it should go... and then it will likely be in far enough! 
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Get her a reusable cup. They don't have to be full like a tampon to be removed in case it's inserted off. They only typically need to be replaced twice a day for normal flow and don't cause tss.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
If it hurt, it's because she was either not pointing it in the right direction or she did not put it in far enough. 

Sometimes, it is helpful to assist with the first one to tell her how to adjust the angle. She needs to place it further than she thinks it should go... and then it will likely be in far enough! 

This is neither here not there but I've heard you say this before and every time I do I think  "wow, she's a much better mom than I".  I could never.  Ever.  I just shoved dd into the bathroom with a full box and told her to read the directions and keep trying until she got it right  lol
mic123

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

This is neither here not there but I've heard you say this before and every time I do I think  "wow, she's a much better mom than I".  I could never.  Ever.  I just shoved dd into the bathroom with a full box and told her to read the directions and keep trying until she got it right  lol

This cracked me up.  We are not there yet, but when that day arrives I will be thinking about these posts LOL
DanceMomLaura

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

And how about this ... I didn't even know DD started wearing tampons.  She just figured it out on her own. 
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
DD13 had to figure it out her first cycle. She realized there was no way she could do ballet with it in (personal preference, maybe, but for her it just wouldn't work.)

A lot of it is in your head. If you can't relax your body when placing it, it will likely be more painful. Dd practically went through a full box trying to figure it out that first time. Make sure she knows about tampon safety and also that if it's in right, you'll forget it is there.
NCKDAD

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom

Never imagined I would be assisting in that way... but I was. It just happened bc she called me in frozen. I am SOOOOO relieved to learn I am not the only one. On the way in. And the way out. After 45 minutes and no less than 10 frantic calls from the hotel bathroom, it was the only way.
fishoutofwater

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Yep!  Helper mom here too!  DD and I are close, but now we are REALLY, REALLY close!  Relaxing is key.  And maybe a deep breath or two!  Vasaline on the tip of a plastic, slim applicator!  And give her a mirror so they know what all they have "down there".  I even told DD to practice with the tampon before ever inserting it, so she was aware of what it was actually doing inside of her!  I have never laughed so hard as I did the day DD was figuring all of this out.  My stomach hurt and I was exhausted by days end, but she figured it out and hasn't looked back since!  
hsealover

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I didn't even know when DD started using tampons until the pads were just sitting in the box and the tampons were running out much faster than before. She just figured it out by herself, lol. I had to help my other daughter the first time, and even after that, it took her a few cycles to really get the hang out it.

That being said, I think tampons are the best way to go in this situation.
DanceTumbleCheerMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
with DD12 , it was no biggie, and she  has used tampons from the start when she was 10,  DD14 has used pads until recently when she needed to be talked through it.   
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Go by Tampax slim pearl and KY jelly for insertion.  Watch some youtube videos together about this.  Do NOT freak out because she will take her cues from you.   Make this matter of fact...that this is part of life...and she will get it...it is no big deal....every woman goes through this. Once she gets it in, go out for ice cream and tell her your personal horror period stories and laugh it up big time.  Turn this into bonding experience.
amandafarris03

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
so my dd13 got her first in april and hadn't had one since the SUNDAY BEFORE NATIONALS (last week)!  I was like "freaking really karma?" she was pissed, we were going to the beach.  I gave her the option of tampons.  she tried, I tried to help her, then she decided she would try again next time.  she was competing on Thursday so I was crossing my fingers that it would be done by then. thankfully she was just spotting on Thursday.  I had to wash tights but that is about it, thankfully her costumes are either black on the bottom or she was wearing shorts under a skirt that you couldn't see, we could have gotten away with underwear and a liner should it had not stopped in time.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: