Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
dad_of_four

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 

I've noticed Dance Comps, the Video camera operator zooms in about 33%.
By this, I mean if a dancer is 5 feet tall, there is 5 feet of empty space above them,
and 5 feet of stage in front of them.

Now this means that your dancer is always in the picture, because even when they
move, there is enough open space around them to dance into.
The downside of this is that your dancer only occupies a small portion of the screen.

On the other hand, I like to zoom into about 80%, to fill the screen with the soloist.
The downside of this is if they suddenly raise their hand, or jump up, their hand/face will be momentarily cut-off until I pan/tilt the camera.

So, given your choice, which video do you prefer (and why).
I'm filming my DD's studio this weekend, and trying to plan for the soloist

tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Both. 

The best recital and show DVDs we ever got were filmed with 2-3 cameras. One was set for the full stage. The other one or two did the close ups and there was some variety in these. It's hard to say how much they are zooming in or not because I don't know the focal length of the lenses. 

As a photographer, I much prefer to be familiar with the performance, but that's often just not possible. I imagine it is the same with video. You learn to listen to the music, breath with the dancers and anticipate. For me, anticipation is really number 1 and what differentiates a dance photographer from a photographer shooting dance. [smile]
dad_of_four

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
Both. 

The best recital and show DVDs we ever got were filmed with 2-3 cameras. One was set for the full stage. The other one or two did the close ups and there was some variety in these. It's hard to say how much they are zooming in or not because I don't know the focal length of the lenses.

Thanks for your reply, let me refine my question:
I am, in fact, shooting with 2 cameras.
Camera A follows the dancer closely, and Camera B is a medium-to-wide shot.
Once the recital is over, I can dissolve between the two cameras.
If a dancer momentarily jumps, I can cut to the wide shot to keep their entire body in frame, but once I am on a wide shot, I really need to go about 4 seconds before I cut back to the closeup.

The question remains: Would you prefer I stay close-up, even if the dancers hands are out-of-frame? Or switch to the wide shot (and its loss of detail) for several seconds
1975Dancers

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Personally I prefer close up videos, even if the dancer goes out of frame for a few seconds
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Switch to wide shot for a few seconds.sometimes it really adds something to see the dance from this angle too.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I want to see the dance. A very occasional hand out of frame wouldn't bother me. But, this does make me think of one video we had where the videographer obviously preferred close ups. It was a Nutcracker and we really missed so much of the party scene and other scenes. Not quite the same as solos. As you do have a wide shot to switch to, I'd go with what you think looks best. It's nice to get expressions too and that can be missed by a somewhat wider shot. It's your prerogative as an artist. When you do 2 camera work and create a work that involved both, that is artistry. Go with it! [smile]
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I hate when the dancer's feet or part of the body are cut off.  Even more I hate when the video focuses on a soloist and everyone else is cut out. 
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I think the best videos are taken by people who really know the dances.  The school videos(PAHS) have gotten better but there is a lot of zooming in and then...wham a whole group of kids transition on and they are not on film at all.  Remember there will be a bunch of kids that could be cut out if you are not careful, and those parents will be unhappy.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I usually buy the dvd that the studio puts together, where the shots are further away, but then during the dress rehearsal I have my hubby zoom in just on her so I have the closeup too.  I'm always photographing so DH has to video.
EJIDance

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I prefer the wide shots even if my dd is the soloist. I like seeing the dance. When I am in the audience, I don't see the close up of the faces and I am ok with that. So as long as it's a similar experience when I see the DVD I am ok with that. I don't like it when the camera keeps going in/out, parts of the dance are cut off or some of the dancers end up out of frame.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.