Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
emcandance

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacaranda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonbonmama
Jacaranda, it sounds like your recitals and competitions are somewhat flip flopped as far as cost and costumes compared to here, very interesting!! I would love to see recitals with beautiful ballet costumes!!! Your recitals must be fabulous, at least I hope so for how much is spent on them. Am I recalling incorrectly that your competitions are very inexpensive..?
yes, our competitions are significantly cheaper than hours. It costs about $5-$8 to enter a solo in our comps. And about $10 to enter a group (that is not per dancer that is for the whole group) so about 50 cents per dancer per routine. But the cost of living in Australia is very, very high so most other things are not cheap.

Recital tickets are less than 10 bucks at a college auditorium.  Costumes are just under 120 each.
Production costumes are around 100 each.  Some costumes cost SO a lot less than the 120 and some cost way over being custom made.  It all averages out at the end of the day.

dancedaughters

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #27 
No fees for recital, just tickets.  No mandatory number of tickets to buy.  Program book is optional but they sell the book and sell ads in it.  If you don't buy the book you get a simple paper folder program.

Costumes are fairly close to cost - the markup seems to cover things like emergency purchases when something doesn't come in on time, and other kinds of "overhead" specifically tied to the costumes.
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #28 
No recital fee here either.  Our ticket prices did go up when we started having recital in a new venue rather than in a school auditorium.  It's worth it to me. But like someone else mentioned I know the studio struggles to break even on the cost of the venue , sound and lighting people etc.  We have always gotten a nice program.  To date we have never been charged for it.  We are not required to buy any certain amount of tickets.
Certainlyc

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #29 
Our studio's tuition is very reasonable but then the competition and recital charges can add up.  We have a recital fee of $25, Rehearsal fee of $20, Costumes range from $60 to $90 each.  Tickets for the recital are $20 in advance $22 at the door.  The facility we use is very big so you can invite your whole neighborhood.  Each dancer gets 1 free ticket and they have a whole reserved section to sit in the audience if they choose to.  DVD's are $30 and buying them is mandatory but it also allows anyone watching the recital to take their own pictures (no flash) and record the show (as long as you stand in the back and out of the way).  We usually have 2 or 3 recitals and the DVD has all of them in the packet, so you only have to buy 1.  Competition fees run about $25-$30 but more for trios, duos or solos.  Rehearsal fee $25.  (Great value on rehearsals because we have alot of them.  We just had 2 EXTRA 5 hour rehearsals and one 4 hour rehersal just this past week alone.)  There is a team fee of $80 and costumes ranged form $90 - $200.  

Shoes, accessories, tights, etc are all extra.

socalkdg

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Average of $60 for costumes, with tickets going for $18 this year, up $4 per ticket. The venue changed to a performing arts center. There are 4 shows over 3 days, about 800 people per show, no ticket requirements.
Daniella03

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Our studio rents a high school auditorium, tickets are $15 each. We pay for costumes for each class, $60 for hip hop and tiny tots and $80 for everyone else per class.

We buy photos in digital format for the kids. $65 for the disk and it includes all your kids individuals and groups.

Recital DVD is $35.

There's flowers sold as a fundraiser there and they're pretty reasonably priced too.

highlandmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #32 
We rent a university theater, our tickets are $15 each and there is no minimum to buy.  Costumes vary and can be anywhere from $20 up to $100 depending on what the costume is.  We have no recital fee, and there is no cost for the program.  The recital DVD is $40 + tax, and is optional.  We are unable to take pictures during the show but we are welcome to take pictures (without the flash) and video during the rehearsal which is on the same stage.

They also sell single roses for around $3 (I think) a flower.
DanceTumbleCheerMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #33 
Our old studio had the recital in a Jr High theater ( it was nice).   Ticket cost was 5.00 (parents complained).  When we first started it was a new studio and the only costumes were those on the competition teams (Cheer, Dance and Tumbling), everyone else wore black shorts and a studio T.  Last year, they started costuming everyone, costumes ranged from 20-60 (and of course parents complained)

New Studio.   Recital is held at the theater in the Performing Arts Department of the College here.   Tickets for the recital are 15.00 ea (still have to buy mine for tomorrow),  Costumes are 45.00 each per class,  The SO does a great job with keeping costume costs as low as she can.   I dont know about programs yet, havent seen it, but since we just did dance pictures last week, I dont think they are very fancy. 
jazzminesun81

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #34 
Here's how our recital fees stack up. We have 3 shows, all in a professional theatre. Each show is around 2 hours.

Recital Fee: $40, and includes theatre rental, recital t-shirt and practice CD with your music on it. This is one fee per child, not per dance, thank goodness.

Recital tix: $20-$60, no minimum to sell. You can volunteer backstage for free and they do their best to make sure you're in the wings to watch your dancer perform.

Costume: $75-125 per costume. You keep the costume. DD has 7 costumes this year, and her closet is starting to look like that scene from 27 Dresses.

So the only recital fees mandatory are for the recital fee and the costume. Programs are free and paid for by ads. 

Optional expenses:
Recital program ad: $15-$120
DVD $40/show
Flowers (sold as a fundraiser for the dance team) $5 for 1 rose, $10 for 3, I forget how much a dozen are.
Group photos $25-$45 per group
Solo photos starting at $45 per costume
Concessions

dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #35 
College performing arts center, professionally run.  Tickets $5 or $15, I don't remember.  One show, buy as many or few as you like.  Minimal or no costume fees, it's generally class attire.  Optional: $35 DVD, Flower orders, raffle tickets.
xtina01

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #36 
Our studio does not charge a recital fee, but charges $20 per ticket with a minimum of 10 tickets for company dancers and 4 for recreational which I thought was a bit excessive because the competitions we attend throughout the year are free entry which is when I'd invite my family to watch. So when recital comes around and they dance the same routines they competed throughout the year, it makes no sense to pay for a show you've already seen for free. That happened to me last year which was my DD's and my first competition season.

This year, I didn't invite anyone to competitions so they could want to attend recital. To me, the problem is that the rest of the family doesn't really care for dance like we do and they believe $20 a ticket is not worth sitting in a theater bored out of their minds for 4 hours. So what I had to do was just pay for the tickets myself and invite them. Not to mention the $135 per costume, brand name tights & shoes (Bloch & Capezio), mandatory M.A.C makeup, and the $50 for a bad quality DVD. I feel that based on the some previous posts on this thread and my financial state, this studio is just too much. But my DD loves dance so much and I do too, I just don't have the heart to pull her out. And neither does my DH no matter how much he complains.
shewolf

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #37 
Just finished our winter show.  Tickets were $15.  Recital fee $35 and 2 costumes were 165.00. Required Tights $15. DVD $30.
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #38 
No cost above regular tuition. Winter and spring shows. Their company theater - which is gorgeous I'm getting excited for the winter show!
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #39 
We don't have a ticket fee, but we have a recital fee that's been between $115 and $150 depending on the venue. Costumes are from what we are competing plus 1 or 2 more for each group. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.