Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
dancer456

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I did just re-read an old thread about recital fees, but I'm curious if the costs I'm seeing for this year's spring show are appropriate. 

This is a relatively small new studio, and I'm just not sure. Our old studio had no performance fees at all (large company affiliated pre-pro, with a year end showcase), and the old, old studio was a completely different animal, so hard to compare.

There is a spring show - it's not called a recital, and I'm guessing it will be about 1.5 hours total. There will be short class demonstrations and then maybe 5-6 or so dances related to a theme, or maybe even connected as part of the same plot. It will be at a very nice local high school auditorium (performing arts school).

Tickets are $25. There is no minimum to sell. The costume rental is part of the participation fee itself, which is $250. There are separate fees for a cast dinner and dvd. 

Is this about what it's supposed to cost? 
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
It depends.

Our recital is actually called a workshop. No to minimal costumes (maybe a tshirt for tap, a tutu or a skirt). It is usually a $25 or so participation fee. Tickets have ranged from $10 to $25ish. They basically try to cover the cost of the peformance (theater rental costs, hiring lighting and sound people, paying staff for any additional rehearsal hours and so on). If they had costumes, the fees would be higher. They actualy did several years ago and the fees were reflective of that.

The DVD is $35 which is separate.

Your costs look like our winter and spring ballet costs. Participation, including costume rental, runs $200-300, depending on age. Tickets run $15 to $30, with the better seats costing more.

The most local school with a ballet company to us also charges around $300 to participate in Nut and the spring student show which is run as a full length ballet. Tickets range from $20 to $80.
dad_of_four

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
The fact that your old studio had no performance fees just means they added it to the monthly tuition, so you never noticed it.  You can probably go online to the Performing Arts School and see how expensive it is to rent (and usually in 4 hour minimums)
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancer456
I did just re-read an old thread about recital fees, but I'm curious if the costs I'm seeing for this year's spring show are appropriate. 

This is a relatively small new studio, and I'm just not sure. Our old studio had no performance fees at all (large company affiliated pre-pro, with a year end showcase), and the old, old studio was a completely different animal, so hard to compare.

There is a spring show - it's not called a recital, and I'm guessing it will be about 1.5 hours total. There will be short class demonstrations and then maybe 5-6 or so dances related to a theme, or maybe even connected as part of the same plot. It will be at a very nice local high school auditorium (performing arts school).

Tickets are $25. There is no minimum to sell. The costume rental is part of the participation fee itself, which is $250. There are separate fees for a cast dinner and dvd. 

Is this about what it's supposed to cost? 

Our studio rents an arena for our spring recital. This will be the second year in the arena ... before that the recital was at a high school. When at the high school recital tickets were $8.00. No minimum required. Dancers (including parents of dancers who take class themselves and learn a recital routine) do not need tickets to get in. At the arena they are now $12.00. Still no minimum ... dancers still don't need tickets to get in. Tuition has not gone up since using the arena either. We have never been charged performance or recital fees. Costumes are bought not rentred and we are not upcharged. You will not find that there is any cookie cutter way of doing things. Some studios are very up front and on the level, while others will squeeze every dime out of you they can and everything in between.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 
We have a pre comp show in March that is just like a recital - full make up, costumes, lighting, programs, etc.  It is held at a professional theatre.  We don't have a performance fee but tickets to the show are $30 each and each student must buy 2.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #6 
We don't pay a fee for recital.  Tickets are 15 dollars a piece (less for kids and senior citizens) and the dancers are not required to sell any.  We buy our costumes and at 60 bucks a piece I don't think there is much, if any, of a mark up (price includes accessories and tights).  We don't have a dinner (too many people for that).  We can buy a dvd if we'd like...the cost is $35. 

As people have said, there is no set standard.  Some studios use their end of the year performances as money makers, some just try to break even.  Some might even be willing to put some of their profits back into the performance if they see it as a marketing tool...a way to help increase business for the following year.  And I just have to disagree w/the notion that those who don't charge for it just make it up somewhere else (i.e increased monthly tuition).  They may, or they may not.  Every studio has it's own ideas. They all hope to make money, yes.  But how much they make and what they are willing to do to make it will differ greatly from studio to studio.

rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
We don't pay a fee for recital, but we do buy all of our own costumes. Tickets are right around $15 each. If you have a small studio, I'm guessing the fees are there to cover the cost of the auditorium rental. Maybe the SO isn't sure if the space will sell out, so she had to up the costs. Different parts of the country/world probably have different average costs, too, so that might be a factor.
JulieDB

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
No recital fee.  Can't remember what the tickets cost.  They have varied depending on where it is held.  I think it is around $20 for adults, less for students.  Costumes vary by level.  Can't remember exactly but want to say somewhere between $85 to $120.  Occasionally for Hip Hop, they allow for some variation and will have the dancers pick and buy what they want to wear.  This can save us money as we can buy used things or perhaps use what they already have.  There will be a theme though such as yellow, white and black, or various plaids.  Pics an DVDs are separate.
Klba37

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
We have a Competition team show and 2 Recitals. We pay for our costumes $65-$100 and also pay competition fee to pay for auditorium $25 and a recital fee $35. We don't charge for people to come see the competition team show, but tickets are $5-$7 for the recitals. We can 2 free tickets (plus dancer is free).
DVD's of the shows are $25 for 1, $40 for 2 or $50 for all 3.
dancer456

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I don't think it was added into the tuition at the old school. There were 3 performances of the spring show, and the ticket prices more than covered the costs of putting on the production. It was similar to SAB's end of the year student showcase.

So, I looked up the cost of renting the high school auditorium, and it looks like even if we sell even a third of the tickets, the ticket price covers the rental fee. Obviously dd will do the performance, so I don't know why I care so much, but I guess I'm feeling a bit of sticker shock. Hopefully the kids will be getting extra coaching and rehearsals and I will feel like I'm getting my money's worth.  DD has improved so much over this year, but I'm still adjusting to this type of studio for her.

I have to say even though the training is top notch, I still like the old school's way of admin, where the only performance (for Nut and spring performance) cost is the ticket price....
jeanne4379

Triple Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #11 
The $250 sounds about right to me.  It covers a lot of costs, including theater rental, costume maintenance/purchase and so on.  I've seen tickets range from $10 to $30, depending on venue used.  The separate sale of dvd's makes sense as well.  It's just easier for tracking family and payments et all.  At our first studio they also had a committee that took care of the program.  Getting those ads in the program paid for 'the beast' and also made some $$$ to defray theater costs.  There was also a boutique that brought in a lot of money and that always helped.  Good luck with the show.
cndb

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
I don't think it was added into the tuition at the old school. There were 3 performances of the spring show, and the ticket prices more than covered the costs of putting on the production. It was similar to SAB's end of the year student showcase.

So, I looked up the cost of renting the high school auditorium, and it looks like even if we sell even a third of the tickets, the ticket price covers the rental fee. Obviously dd will do the performance, so I don't know why I care so much, but I guess I'm feeling a bit of sticker shock. Hopefully the kids will be getting extra coaching and rehearsals and I will feel like I'm getting my money's worth.  DD has improved so much over this year, but I'm still adjusting to this type of studio for her.

I have to say even though the training is top notch, I still like the old school's way of admin, where the only performance (for Nut and spring performance) cost is the ticket price....

Very likely any extra money they are making from the performance, after paying teachers, printing, costumes, insurance, tech people and security will be going towards summer rent.

Without recital profit, very few studios can cover those few months when their enrollment is not enough to cover the bills.
gingerrogers

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Don't forget that some studios also need to use the profits from recital to cover their summer costs. We all know that less students take classes in the summer but the studios bills do not change.
dancypants

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
I wish our performance fee was higher for ballets and the recital, and costume rentals/cleaning/buying was just included. We have a deposit due for Nut and spring ballet and recital at different times, then the balance...and I can never remember what I paid, what I still owe, if she was added to a dance at the last minute, etc. So I end up going in and asking or emailing a million times and I feel like an idiot, lol. It would be about that for us, so I don't think yours are high- renting an auditorium (we use a PA school too) is really pricey!
sbbrewerst

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
We are renting a new auditorium from the local university... even though they gave SO a great deal, she still is going to have to raise ticket prices by 5 dollars. But it'll be worth it for all of the kids to get to dance on a "real" stage. Program books (this is our first year getting ones like the competitions sell) will also have a price. And of course the DVD is a separate charge also.
MSDanceMomma

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #16 
We paid $150 for first costume, which included 2 tickets (to all shows your child was in and if she was an older comp dancer like my child, she was in three shows) and a DVD for again all shows your child was in, costume and one pair of tights.   For sibling, it was  $110 which included 2 tickets again for each show, costume and tights (no dvd).  There was no discount if you didn't need the tickets or tights (boys did not pay a reduced price and yet received no tights).  For extra routines I think the cost was around $80.  (Prices varied over time). 

Tickets were sold and depending on venue (it varied from hs auditorium to a nice performing arts theater) varied in price from $10-15. Tickets were bought from one dance catalog exclusively and if I had to guess cost wholesale less than $50 per costume on average so yeah there was some mark-up for recital hall costs, teacher time, studio owner profit, whatever.  

monicak1971

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Ours was $85 for the rental of the facility, $10 for rental of a larger rehearsal space, $360 for 6 costumes (catalog), $75 for one custom costume, $40 for one self purchased costume, and $25 for each ticket (1 is included in the tuition).

Monica
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
We don't have a seperate recital fee. We pay for costumes ($65-85) and we pay for tickets ($19 each). There is no minimum to sell, but dancers are required to buy one if they want to sit in the audience.

I know for a fact that our studio doesn't make any money on tickets. We rent out a large performing arts center (where professional touring theatre groups perform). At $19 a ticket, even if she sold every balcony, she wouldn't break even. Some of our tuition and costume money goes to making up that difference.

I don't mond, though, because I would rather pay an extra couple of dollars a month than to get hit with $70 tickets for the recital.

(My DD's nutcracker is on this same stage, and the tickets with the parent discount range from $65-85).
Bonbonmama

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #19 
We don't have a (disclosed) recital fee either, but we do have costume fees ($75-100/class) and the tickets range from $10-20 with no minimum to sell. $30 DVD can be purchased afterwards.
Our winter showcase for the company is free to attend, each dancer pays a $100 fee which is baked into the company fees. This is where all the comp routines are done for the first time in stage, no DVD.

Our old ballet studio had a free recital with no costume fees, which was great but also meant it was held in a park (rain or shine) and the "costumes" were the same pull on chiffon skirts or sad fluffy preschool tutus with matching headpieces for the entire time we were there.... They had been going strong for the past 20yrs or so and will probably be the same 20years from now, lol!

Nothing wrong with either scenario, they both have advantages. [smile]
Oreogal

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #20 
No recital fee, except for a $25 rehearsal fee, but this year the rehearsal is in the studio, not at the venue, so I'm assuming there's no fee then. Costumes are bought, at $95. I'm thinking they make a profit from the costumes. Recital tickets are $25.00, with no minimum to buy. Recital is held in a college theatre.

In my area, it seems like only the newer or smaller studios charge really high fees. DD's studio is only open a few years too, but doesn't charge all these fees. A few studios I found charge anywhere from $65 to $95, with some including nothing except a T-shirt and another includes a DVD. But why force people to purchase the DVD? Another studio forces you to purchase 5 tickets at $25 a pop.

This is DD's first year in dance though, so I'm sure other ladies on the board are more knowledgeable, but your fee sounds pretty high IMO.
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
We don't have a recital fee. But our recital is not exactly cheap (and it is compulsary or,you can't move up to the next level the following year).

We buy our costumes for a start. The cheapest ones would be about $100 and this goes up to as much as $400 for a ballet tutu. The average cost is usually about $150-$180 per costume. And we need one or two for ballet, one for jazz, one for contemporary, one for tap, one for acro, one for musical theatre and one for song and dance. So about 7-8 each. This of course does not include all the shoes and tights.

Then there are tickets. The recital is held in a professional theatre and you book your tickets through a professional ticketing company. They are $52 for adults and $48 for children. If your dancer wants to watch the show they also need a $48 ticket. (But my dancers are always in too many numbers to do this). Them $5 for a program.

Then the DVD is $75 or if you want it on. Blue ray it is $80. To be allowed to purchase the DVD you need need to have bought at least three tickets to watch the show.

Then there are photo's which are $11 each. Of course you can't take any of your own film or photos.

Then parkimg at the recital is $36 per day for both rehearsal day and recital day.

But in Australia this is totally normal.

LeapYear0208

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #22 
We have a smaller winter performance, but not a smaller spring one. Winter is $20 for the shirt (the costume) that they wear over a black leo and tights depending on class/age. $35 extra rehearsal fee for 6+. I can't remember how much tickets are, they are under $10 for both adults and kids. 

Summer show tickets are $15 for adults and $9 for kids I think. No fees involved besides the usual costume/accessories. We are in 4 of the 8 shows this summer between both of my girls. 6&under costumes are $70 7+ costumes are $90. We aren't on company but those tend to be more. This year we had to purchase a robe for the little kids performing group. 

DVDs are usually $45 for 1 show and go down as you purchase more. 

Pictures are done during picture week. We have to pay $5 per kid/per class to have the group pic in the program. The prices used to be horrible (2 years ago I paid $140 for a disc and my kid had 2 costumes/buddy pics. They didnt even take individuals in 1 costume--nightmare because you prepay for discs). I think this year it is $85 for 3-10 costumes (which is what we have-I didnt look at the other prices). I use our personal photographer and buy her unlimited session. She takes pics of my girls in all of their costumes (along with our other usual spring pictures i get done) and I get to be in the room/fix hair/help with poses, ect.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
But why force people to purchase the DVD?

To bring the price down. It can be the same for the T-shirts. 

I was involved with an organization that offered a DVD. Once we went from someone's dad taping it and having it duplicated ourselves to having a professional record it, the expense went up. We would have lost money on it had we not decided to add it into the performance fee. Same with the T-shirts. By ordering one for everyone, when we first started the process, adding in a T-shirt only added $10-12 per performer. When we added the DVDs in to the bundle, it added another $20-25. Buying in bulk for certain things does save in the long run. Plus, with both, I cannot tell you how many people decide they want a T-shirt as soon as they see others with them and how many want a DVD as soon as they are distributed.  But, this is for a group of about 60 performers, not a huge studio where it might not be as necessary to include these things. 
Bonbonmama

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Jacaranda, it sounds like your recitals and competitions are somewhat flip flopped as far as cost and costumes compared to here, very interesting!! I would love to see recitals with beautiful ballet costumes!!! Your recitals must be fabulous, at least I hope so for how much is spent on them. Am I recalling incorrectly that your competitions are very inexpensive..?
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonbonmama
Jacaranda, it sounds like your recitals and competitions are somewhat flip flopped as far as cost and costumes compared to here, very interesting!! I would love to see recitals with beautiful ballet costumes!!! Your recitals must be fabulous, at least I hope so for how much is spent on them. Am I recalling incorrectly that your competitions are very inexpensive..?

yes, our competitions are significantly cheaper than hours. It costs about $5-$8 to enter a solo in our comps. And about $10 to enter a group (that is not per dancer that is for the whole group) so about 50 cents per dancer per routine.

But the cost of living in Australia is very, very high so most other things are not cheap.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.