Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Pghgal40

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all,

I'm having a hard time deciding how to feed my dancer, who's 8, with regards to timing. Her schedule is 5-8pm, 3 days/week; the other days, she's home by 7, so dinners are tricky. I've been feeding her dinner at 4 (on her late days), prior to taking her to the studio, then a healthy snack (with some sort of protein) before bed. Dinner is usually a lean protein, some type of carbs, and veges (never anything too heavy). Am I on the right track here?  How do you all manage your late dance days? It seems to odd to be giving her dinner before class, but I can't imagine her eating dinner at 8:30 at night!  Any thoughts?

Also, I'm going to meet with a pediatric nutritionist, as I'd like to be sure she's getting enough of what she needs, and in the proper form. What are some of your "go to" meals and snacks? Luckily, she's a great eater and likes everything!

Thanks so much!

-M
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
My dd goes straight to dance from school and usually doesn't get home until 9:30 or a little later. I do the opposite of you and dd has a snack after school and then eats dinner when she gets home. This just works better for dd. She would never eat a full dinner at 3:00 after school. Eating so late seems weird, but it's become normal for dd, and she's always really hungry by the time she gets home from dance. I do need to give her a good snack after school on the way to dance. DD is a vegetarian, which makes feeding her a little trickier. Here are some of our go to snacks. She may have one item from this list, or several all at once:

Smoothie
Soft pretzel
Baked potato (sometimes w/ melted cheese)
Quesadilla
Pasta salad w/ veggies
Veggies & dip
Yogurt
Flat bread pizza
Granola bars
Cereal
Fruit (esp bananas)
PB&J
Celery w/ peanut butter
Bagel

She also always has some sort of bar or other easy snack in her dance bag in case she needs something while at dance. DD dances 5 to 6 hours every day after school, so I want to make sure she's able to keep her energy up.
Klba37

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 

DD12 normally eats a sandwich or soup before she goes to dance at 4:30, then I have food ready when she gets home. Some days are 7, others 8:30. She normally eats a snack in between classes on 8:30 nights

Pghgal40

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I initially failed to mention, she's 8, so I also have to try to get her to bed at a decent hour, too!

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate the help!

melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
My DD refuses to eat before she dances. Not even a heavy snack. So I have to have a bar in the car for the ride home and then she eats at 8 or 9, whenever she gets home. Luckily, she only dances two nights a week (and Saturday morning), so it isn't like that every night.

amandafarris03

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
my daughter gets a snack at the youth center she goes to after school (we are military) and then she will eat dinner at home.  her latest day is 830 and she gets and hour break between classes and i'll take her to her place of choice for dinner.  other nights we usually eat dinner by 7 (she is 11) my kids go to bed at nine and wake up at 645-7 in the morning.
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Ash often eats 2 dinners (ah, to have that metabolism again!!).  I try to feed her what we are having for dinner prior to class (usually the 4:30-5:15 range before she has to leave for the studio).  Then she comes home between 9:30-10 and makes herself something else before finishing her homework and going to bed.  Even on nights she does not dance, she has a "heavy snack" around 9pm or so because her body in now conditioned for that.
tappingfeet

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
DD13 often had the straight from school into the evening schedule from the time she was your DD's age.  We found as a family we quickly got over the idea that dinner time had to be around 6:00 and became very flexible with when our daughters ate.  After a few weeks, you will find what works best for your DD's appetite.  My DD preferred to have a heavy snack or sandwich before dance, and would eat lightly (bowl of cereal, toast and apple, etc) if she was coming home past 8:00.  If she was home by 7:00 or 7:30 we would usually eat dinner as a family at that time.  If you are work outside the home and DD carpools straight from school to dance, you will need to pack the extra snack or early dinner with her to school.  I often packed two lunch kits for DD-one for lunch at school and one for her pre dance snack/light dinner.  
dncemom01

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Dd13 eats dinner at dance 3 nights. She has a break those 3 nights in between classes. The other night she eats before she goes and eats a snack when she gets home. We found a routine that is working for us. She has snacks in her dance bag for when she needs that extra to get through.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsqrdplus2
Ash often eats 2 dinners (ah, to have that metabolism again!!).  I try to feed her what we are having for dinner prior to class (usually the 4:30-5:15 range before she has to leave for the studio).  Then she comes home between 9:30-10 and makes herself something else before finishing her homework and going to bed.  Even on nights she does not dance, she has a "heavy snack" around 9pm or so because her body in now conditioned for that.

My dd does this too except the first dinner is during carpool from school to the studio.  They usually stop and get something or she brings from home...so that one is between 3:30 and 4:30.  Then second dinner is after 9 sometime along with homework.  Not optimal for health but sometimes you gotta do what works and let the worries go away. 

Our goal this year is to reduce carbs and bring up the protein and fats.  Nutritionist has suggested I make a homemade chicken broth on Sunday and let dd sip on this in a thermos during the day at school (or the first half of the week) instead of those vitamin water drinks.  I am also going to try and make homemade breakfast burritos in order to get more eggs and another protein in her in the morning.  We shall see how well this works.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Once DS started dancing 4-5 nights a week we gave up on the notion of family dinners during the week. [smile]  He would come home from school at 3:15 and my mom would get him dinner and he would do his homework.  I would pick him up at 5:00 to get to a 5:45 class and then he was usually in class until between 8:00 and 9:00 - once he was 15 years old that extended to 10:15.  Once we were home for the night he had a light snack, shower and bed.  He always had a regular dinner that early and then whatever he wanted to snack on later and he always had plenty of energy.
jazzminesun81

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
DD7 goes straight from afterschool care to dance and has dance until 7:30 2 nights per week, but Saturdays were hard timing wise for us last year. I make dinner and have it waiting for when we get back from picking her up, and I make it something fast to eat (sandwiches, wraps, quesadillas with smoothie or side of vegetables or fruit). I don't worry too much about it, because I pack her plenty of snacks, which she eats between dance and school. She has those shelf stable milk boxes, popcorn, granola bars, protein bars, fruit/veggie/and/or chia pouches and beef jerky in her backpack. 
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
DD will make herself a light dinner before class. I save her a full plate of our dinner for after class. This year, her tap solo/private is pretty much after school. Then it's an hour break, then three hours of class. So I'm sending her to school with a bag of protein bars, fruit, string cheese and gold fish. That way she can graze on her way to the studio and on her break. She will come home to a full plate of food too. Thank goodness that is only one day during the week. On Saturdays this year, she is at the studio from 9-3 with two 1/2 an hour breaks. I will pack a sandwich, yogurt, fruit, cheese, carrots, pasta salad, etc.. Maybe a black bean burrito to reheat. More grazing food. My challenge is getting her out of bed in time to get some breakfast. Ah teenagers.
danniellelake

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Getting my DD to eat is a big task in itself. She is a very picky eater. I make sure she has heavy breakfast before she leaves for school because her dance class starts right after her school and she heads straight to her dance class. I pack her some stuff like sandwiches, fruits etc. to have in between the school and class. Apart from it, I have learnt to stock up oatmeal bars in my car and also put some of them in her bag. My DD loves the oatmeal bars that my local retail store has. You can find them here if you want to get more information about them. They are really very tasty and healthy.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by danniellelake
Getting my DD to eat is a big task in itself. She is a very picky eater. I make sure she has heavy breakfast before she leaves for school because her dance class starts right after her school and she heads straight to her dance class. I pack her some stuff like sandwiches, fruits etc. to have in between the school and class. Apart from it, I have learnt to stock up oatmeal bars in my car and also put some of them in her bag. My DD loves the oatmeal bars that my local retail store has. You can find them here if you want to get more information about them. They are really very tasty and healthy.

I love when people do this  lol
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Gee, it was sooooo nice of her to make an account just to tell us about oatmeal bars.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
They are important.
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
I don't know. I admire the sheer dedication of it.

Had to find this site, that particular thread, then make an account. That's mad skillz. LOL
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: