Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
hsealover

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
DD's favorite has been Revel and I think I would agree with her. She didn't do the comp convention, but she really enjoyed it!
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
DD's favorite had been 24Seven, but this year she did Art of Movement for the first time, and that may be her new favorite. It's newer, so not quite as crowded as the Break the Floor conventions, and she really liked all of the teachers.
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
LADM has been a favorite for a while but they are starting to get bigger and more crowded. My oldest did Jump last weekend and loved it. We thought it would be packed but it wasn't. It was also spring break week in Michigan though so that may have something to do with the smaller size. 
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I mentioned this on the favorite comp website, but I'll post here too.  DD's is definitely NYCDA.  She loves everything about it, and she adores Joe and Leah and the heart they have for growing and inspiring dancers.
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Artists Simply Human
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
In the past we would both say NUVO, but all of these top conventions have combined teen and senior rooms in our region, which neither of us like. Dd feels intimidated.  I think they are too crowded for much learning.  We both really liked Fluid and will likely go back.
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I mentioned it on the fave comp thread as well.

LADM and ASH are her absolute faves.  BTF conventions come in next. 
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I put this on the other thread as well.

Dance is an expensive hobby for my kid. She is not a convention chaser. We went to Art of Movement last month. There was a lot about it that I liked. The classrooms were full but not jam packed. Judging was tough but fair. They promised not to start competition during school hours and they didn't. They also limited competition to end at a decent hour both nights. Classes were an hour and fifteen minutes, more time to learn. The yogance class sounded odd but my kid loved it. My only beef was that they didn't give out a ton of awards like most conventions do. Overall, I like their principles. They claim to be there for every dancer. It seemed like they were. I didn't feel like it was a money grab.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
DD14 said NUVO, which surprised me ... I thought it would be NYCDA.
DD10 just shrugged when asked to pick between NUVO, 24/Seven, NYCDA.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Probably NUVO with NYCDA coming in a close second.
Robynb79

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Mg daughter loves Velocity. She also liked ASH a lot. We REALLY want to try Radix next season
amandafarris03

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I've only ever done a KAR convention.  my dd does dance for fun and for the money and her experience KAR was just fine for us.
hsealover

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandafarris03
I've only ever done a KAR convention.  my dd does dance for fun and for the money and her experience KAR was just fine for us.

KAR is a fun one day convention. Its good if you don't want to put in a full weekend and its a lot cheaper. DD has done it before and she liked it.
Rydancer24

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #14 
We like Velocity... NUVO was fun too.  KAR is great for a more affordable one day convention.  We are going to try JUMP for the first time in a couple weeks... I have also heard good things about Radix and NYCDA. We live in southern Cali so these conventions get super compacted... I wish they would limit them.  I think conventions are great for dancers to step out of their comfort zone and learn and grow but its really hard when you are trapped doing tap in the back corner on carpet.  or even turning on carpet.  We spend too much money.  (rant over [wink]

hsealover

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydancer24
We like Velocity... NUVO was fun too.  KAR is great for a more affordable one day convention.  We are going to try JUMP for the first time in a couple weeks... I have also heard good things about Radix and NYCDA. We live in southern Cali so these conventions get super compacted... I wish they would limit them.  I think conventions are great for dancers to step out of their comfort zone and learn and grow but its really hard when you are trapped doing tap in the back corner on carpet.  or even turning on carpet.  We spend too much money.  (rant over [wink]

You are exactly right! We live in Ohio, conventions obviously aren't nearly as packed, but I still agree. DD doesn't want to go to BTF conventions because they're just that packed. She likes to be able to move.
Koopahla

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #16 
My 18DD has attended NYCDA - 24Seven - Hollywood Vibe (when she was 9) - Radix & Dancerpalooza  We are not big convention attenders.  Our studio brings in people for an inhouse convention every January.  These are the same instructors that you see at these bigger companies.
Her favorites are 24Seven & Radix  Radix did not have good flooring this year which caused some bruising of one of her foot bones, but she still loved it!  The personal feedback from the instructors at 24Seven & Radix was incredible!  WIth that being said, Dancerpalooza was by far one of the best dance weeks my dd has ever had!  Watching her that week, I could literally see the improvement happening.  She went again the following year, which was more crowded and she did not feel she made the same type of growth.  But still an incredible experience if you can go!
a5mac

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #17 
My 14 year old DD loves NRG Dance Project.  It is by far her favorite!  We have attended 24/7, Intrigue and Radix this year.  She is at her first NYCDA this weekend so not sure how much she likes it yet.
dmjrm4

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #18 
This year DD went to Celebrity, LA Dance Magic, 24/7, NYCDA, Jump and Nuvo, so 6 conventions.  Her favorite is NUVO.  (I think it is WAY oversold, but I love it too!)
rubydancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #19 
If you had to choose between Revel and Pulse, which would you choose and why? Those 2 are on the same weekend for us.
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #20 
My DD12 and I never really enjoyed the convention experiences... maybe because we always compete 5-10 group dances either Friday or Saturday, so we get stressed about getting things packed and prepared and DD was always too tired for early Saturday/Sunday morning classes. Wish we just did workshops at conventions and competition at competitions. We did 1 competition without the workshop this year (Groove) and with 11 dances scheduled for one day, it was still a breeze. 

I think NYCDA is the best. The focus is less on class scholarships. One hiphop class, no jazz funk. Aways 2 ballet classes and across the floor class. LOVE LOVE the ballet teacher Scott Jovovich, and Andy Pellick's classes are always fun. Joey Dowling (Jo & Jax) is a sweet teacher.

And they actually give college scholarships to kids who deserve (I know one) The profit from observer band goes to the scholarship foundation.

My DD12 likes Adrenaline. 
We do all BTF conventions but they are just OK. Radix was not very organized, but loved the $40 photo/video package.
hsealover

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dornot2d
My DD12 and I never really enjoyed the convention experiences... maybe because we always compete 5-10 group dances either Friday or Saturday, so we get stressed about getting things packed and prepared and DD was always too tired for early Saturday/Sunday morning classes. Wish we just did workshops at conventions and competition at competitions. We did 1 competition without the workshop this year (Groove) and with 11 dances scheduled for one day, it was still a breeze. 

I think NYCDA is the best. The focus is less on class scholarships. One hiphop class, no jazz funk. Aways 2 ballet classes and across the floor class. LOVE LOVE the ballet teacher Scott Jovovich, and Andy Pellick's classes are always fun. Joey Dowling (Jo & Jax) is a sweet teacher.

And they actually give college scholarships to kids who deserve (I know one) The profit from observer band goes to the scholarship foundation.

My DD12 likes Adrenaline. 
We do all BTF conventions but they are just OK. Radix was not very organized, but loved the $40 photo/video package.

If DD does go to conventions, which she doesn't do as many as she's like to because of conflicts, she has to go as an independent so she usually doesn't compete. She likes to just focus on the classes, but likes competing too!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.