Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
MimisMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
This may be a silly question, but what is an “Extended Line” ?
dance010

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Could be similar to a production. Although, "extended line" seems like it is more of some sort of jazz line. A jazz line is a production without a "storyline" or theme. So it is a large group jazz dance, but with multiple ages included. This may include minis through senior dancers. Possibly juniors through seniors. Hope this helped!
jackilvsmath

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I have always understood - could be wrong - that an extended line was a production that runs longer than the allotted time. Our productions are always 6-7 minutes and are entered in the extended line category. Ours also include ALL company dancers. I don’t think it has to be a theme or a certain type of dance, just that it’s longer. However, if a production is going that long they usually have a theme. I have also seen solos have an “extended” after the entry and those have been longer as well.
MimisMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackilvsmath
I have always understood - could be wrong - that an extended line was a production that runs longer than the allotted time. Our productions are always 6-7 minutes and are entered in the extended line category. Ours also include ALL company dancers. I don’t think it has to be a theme or a certain type of dance, just that it’s longer. However, if a production is going that long they usually have a theme. I have also seen solos have an “extended” after the entry and those have been longer as well.

I know it’s not a production, as we had that last year and it ran 10 min with the jungle book theme. And it’s “open”. So perhaps just a lot of dancers on stage in different age categories.
1tinydancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
It really depends on the comp. It could mean a certain number of dancers such as at Jump meaning 16-24 dancers. Or it could mean 20+ dancers that paid for an extra minute or so.
dncemom01

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
In my experience it’s simply the # of dancers on stage
ie small group 4-9
Large group 10-19
Etc etc.
performancemom2003

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I think it depends on comp- at the ones we go to, it's a size one smaller than production (ie, large group, line, extended line, production)
rubydancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Ours is a mixed age large group jazz that combines everyone on our 26 person team, no matter age or skill. 
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #9 
My two cents.... I believe 'Line' refers to the number of dancers (more than large group, less than production) and 'Extended ' refers to extended time (longer than is typically allowed for a Line).
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Yup, here in Canada the term "line" or "extended line" refers to the number of dancers, not the style.  Our studio usually has 2 lines a year - one in lyrical that's mainly the older dancers, and one that's traditionally a tap/MT mix that has all ages.  

"Production" here refers to a story line, usually with extensive props and a VERY large cast - often more than 50 and I've seen as high as 125!  They always go first in a session so they have time to set up.  The staging is usually very theatrical.
MimisMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpmom
Yup, here in Canada the term "line" or "extended line" refers to the number of dancers, not the style.  Our studio usually has 2 lines a year - one in lyrical that's mainly the older dancers, and one that's traditionally a tap/MT mix that has all ages.  

"Production" here refers to a story line, usually with extensive props and a VERY large cast - often more than 50 and I've seen as high as 125!  They always go first in a session so they have time to set up.  The staging is usually very theatrical.

Thanks. I’m in Canada too so that’s probably what it is going to be like.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpmom

I was going to say the same thing.  Our first studio was a mega with a huge company and they did a lot of these.  At the Canadian comps we attended all it meant was that there were 15+ dancers in the routine.  You get the same amount of time as a line and it can be any discipline.
threedancingdaughters

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
My two cents.... I believe 'Line' refers to the number of dancers (more than large group, less than production) and 'Extended ' refers to extended time (longer than is typically allowed for a Line).

This is what I think of for extended line. And what I've seen in comp rules typically. Extended referring to longer length of time than typical time.
amandafarris03

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
I've always been under the understanding that extended line meant more time on stage and they paid extra for it.
LilMama

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Basically it's another extra dance that involves more dancers than a large group dance. And usually with dancers other than just their age group.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by threedancingdaughters
This is what I think of for extended line. And what I've seen in comp rules typically. Extended referring to longer length of time than typical time.

Our comps up here don't allow extra time for an extended line.  It is just a larger number of dancers but the same time limit as a regular line.
dancemom0987

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #17 
A line is one of the categories for the number of dancers in a dance. It's between large group and production. The extended part is added to it because the dance is longer than the requirements for a normal line.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.