Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #26 
I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. Are you asking if 7 year olds are expected to have solid doubles? I certainly hope not. My dd's were working on singles at that age. Maybe an Uber competitive studio may have that expectation but I don't think most do.

I do see a difference in mini dances now from when my oldest was a mini 7 years ago. Studios have definitely pushed the minis more but I think technique takes a back seat a lot of the time. I have seen mini dances with more advanced moves done terribly but they were put in just to put them in. Not really a good thing.
jeanne4379

Triple Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #27 
I think it is unrealistic for a 7 year old to do double pirouettes and have a strong turnout. JMHO. My position is that they are just not physically ready for that kind of demand. Holding a strong passe on a straight leg is appropriate for a beginning ballet student. A strong series of forward moving passe steps would be just fine, possibly with a few pique turns added would be great. Keep in mind that I believe that dance and ballet especially should be taken slowly and choreography should build confidence with realistic challenges.
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #28 
I agree with mostly everyone that expecting clean doubles from a 7 YO is a lot.
My own dd was still just getting singles at that age. Doubles didn't come till around 10 and even then they weren't always clean.

As far as the swayback, my dd is almost 15 and still has that issue to an extent. And yes, she's one of those "bendy-back" girls so I think it's something she's always going to have to be conscious of. 

novadancemom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #29 

My DD is 16 and she's got her quad finally, but did not even master the double until she was probably 12! I think that for being 7 and expecting those things, I assume that your studio is pretty competitive. I'd say that if your daughter is capable of doing the double (maybe not clean right now) and WANTS to push for the double, then it should be expected to get those types of corrections. Her teachers may see the potential and want to pull it out so they are giving her detailed corrections. It's hard to remember, since we believe we know our child, that the teacher-student relationship is different. The teachers may have spoken to her and they say things in class about her abilities. I honestly wish that our old studio had done this when our kids were young because it prevents bad habits from forming. As long as your DD isn't stressing and still having loads of fun, which she should being a little 7 yr/old, then I wouldn't worry about it! As a parent, I'd support her, giving her the encouraging "You got this! Don't worry! Keep it up!" To help her not start stressing, I'd let the teachers do the nit picking and then I'd tell my DD she was amazing and is doing so well! Good luck moving on through your dancing years with your talented DD!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.