Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Leapsandturns

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
My daughter is considering this costume for a lyrical solo this year.  On one hand, I like the simplicity, on the other, so many costumes I see are so elaborate I worry she'll look or feel plain in just this with no bling.  This is her first solo.  She's 10.  Thoughts?   If you think it needs more, what would you do?
Leapsandturns

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #2 
We have not offcially decided on this--so if you have another catalog costume to recommend, or maybe a costume at home that you're wanting to sell, feel free to recommend that, too!  The choreographer wants light colored and a flowy skirt that's short in the front. 
madisondancer27

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
What is her song?
Leapsandturns

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #4 
She's dancing to Daughter, by Sleeping at Last.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Something like this:

https://www.artstonecostumes.com/products/28227/when-its-all-over/
Leapsandturns

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
That's pretty, but we are trying to stay away from jewel or bright colors.  She wants like a sky blue, lavender or ivory, something very light.  And thank you for your help!
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I like it without the bling.  However I've got a kid who thinks that bling is tacky and looks very competition.
Mama2aHappyDancer

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #8 
What about this one?
https://www.artstonecostumes.com/products/26058/someone-like-you/

If I did get the costume you posted, I would bling it. But my dd loves bling. [smile] 
Leapsandturns

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Thanks ladies, I really appreciate the input!  This stuff is enough to drive a dance mom to drink! 

I like that blue one linked above and another greenish blue one on that same site.  We hadn't looked at that one before.  But I feel like I've combed so many others and haven't hit a home run yet...I'll show a couple of these to the choreographer and DD and hope they can make a decision so I can cross it of my list.  [smile]
threedancingdaughters

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I'd probably personally want to add a little bling, maybe a few rhinestones scattered? Nothing too much that would overpower the simplicity but add just a little sparkle? DD8 has a costume that is white lace over a lighter color blue, and while it was pretty before, the stones add a little extra and turn it into a beautiful costume. The one you posted is lovely as it is though, if you didn't want to add much 🙂
stpierremom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I would have to sprinkle some stones on that costume - it's lovely, but a hint of sparkle just adds that extra polish to the look.

I have plenty of costumes if you are interested in buying one gently used (cheap!).  PM me with size and requirements if you are interested, and I will let you know if I have anything that fits your wish list.

Julieg

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I like the first costume posted the best.  I would also sprinkle some stones on it just to give it a little extra sparkle.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #13 
I'm going to vote for  'looks perfect the way it is' and tell you about one of my dd's costumes from a few years back.  A long red lyric dress.  Simple leo top with an attached skirt.  I can't tell you how many dance moms told me it was much too plain... absolutely needed some bling... but I'm/we're not bling people and loved it as it was.  And whattaya know?  Almost every single judge at every comp that season commented on the beauty of that very simple dress.  It even received a couple of costume awards.

So IDK... sometimes I think bling is overrated.  If "you" and "your" dd love bling... bling it.  If the bling isn't speaking to you, let well enough alone.  It doesn't "need" bling.  It's just a matter of what you like.
Jinkerbelle

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
I think it is pretty but I would probably add some AB stones or clear. Clear would probably keep it looking cleaner. I would stone either just the lace over the sheer part on the chest and back or just the lined part on the bodice kinda random light scattering.
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
I am not sure the original costume would move very well, and your choreographer wanted a flowing skirt - that is short in the front.  I don't think the original costume will flow.  How about something like https://www.weissmans.com/lyrical/9586.aspx?position=41

The top is similar and the skirt moves well.
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #16 
I find that with White depending on the song, some AB can make a huge difference. But I lean toward bling for many songs. I’m an all or nothing girl- either do it up or don’t at all- depends what speaks to you. We’ve done both.
dancer417

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Not sure how you feel about the sheer "look" of this one but I think this one is very trendy, and very beautiful to match the song [smile]

https://www.triplethreatdancewear.com/outfits/firefly-4-lace-applique-leotard

This company has some pretty pastels additional to the specific costume I posted^^
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Small (ss20) crystal AB stones sprinkled about the front and back would still keep the costume simple, but I think a little sparkle would go a long way to enhancing the costume.  

It's darling btw!  Best of luck to your DD this season!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
It's beautiful as is! As others suggested, you could always add some rhinestones, but I don't think it is necessary
karenc

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #20 
I haven't actually done this so maybe someone who has will chime in - if you just want a little shimmer rather than sparkle, how about just spraying it with a little design master sheer spray? 
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
I'm agreeing with Heidi here.  The costume is so pretty just the way it is.  I wouldn't add anything.
lbgarner

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #22 
What about this one? 
https://www.tenthhousedance.com/venus-products-1473.php
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.