Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #1 

I'm just full of questions this weekend.

In the rush to pull this yagp thing together after putting off and putting it off.  Ended up finding a classical tutu that would work on EMTUTU (after reading about it here).  Price is reasonable but now a friend is saying that I should be afraid of the quality.  That the tutus from China (talk about a generalization, I know) usually come with the details screen printed on the fabric as opposed to having three dimensional appliques.  I'm thinking maybe she heard that from others who may have heard that from others... some of those others being people who were trying to discourage people from using those overseas sellers for obvious reasons.  I know there are some people who have dealt with this seller directly (or I think I remember reading it).  What say you?  

ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
We didn't deal with that particular company but some of the students at the last school ordered from China via Alibaba and received the exact same tutus available at Tutu's by Patricia and some other online  "American" companies.  
gymanddance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
We have ordered two tutus from China and one was from EMTutu. Quality was amazing and both fit perfectly. They absolutely did not have any screen printing on them. 
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I purchased this practice tutu and it is not screen printed. We've had it a couple of years now, very well made.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/adult-professional-practice-performance-rehearsal-tutus-1-2-half-platter-pancake-tulle-skirt-ballet-half-tutu/328588_32530046564.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.1c4af57bv2e4rw
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Thank you ladies!  We'll be ordering one today.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
We've gotten three tutus from china, and I've helped people order a couple more.  Nothing screen printed.  The more expensive ones tend to be a little sturdier (although that could be just the difference in the production date) and have details like beading.  The worst thing I've seen is appliques on the skirt that are a little off and may need to be restitched a bit.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bda4gkggnth/?taken-by=katelynonpointe

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdVhA3agZ0e/?taken-by=katelynonpointe

heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks Meatball.  Those are beautiful.

A new thought crossed my mind though... how are these tutus packaged and shipped?  Just curious.
gymanddance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
Thanks Meatball.  Those are beautiful.

A new thought crossed my mind though... how are these tutus packaged and shipped?  Just curious.

They come in a box folded like a tulip. There is not a hoop.
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I can also say I've ordered 4 tutus from China (through aliexpress) and I'm very happy with the quality. The most expensive one was still under $300 and it looked as good as the best tutus we saw at YAGP.
karenc

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsmith
We didn't deal with that particular company but some of the students at the last school ordered from China via Alibaba and received the exact same tutus available at Tutu's by Patricia and some other online  "American" companies.  

Yes, some "American" companies purchase and resell Chinese goods and you named one example.  There are others. 
karenc

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I'll add my two cents here.  I believe Chinese made tutus are just fine if they are only going to be used for an occasional solo.  The main difference (I can't speak for the screen printing..I've never seen that) is the quality of the materials used.  The tutu net will not hold up more than a year or two and the embellishments are typically lower quality including acrylics that will lose their sparkle, fall off, etc.  They also typically have low quality lycra, etc. for the panty so if gets stretched out, it will stay that way.  That's all fine in the "you get what you pay for" experience.  My only real beef with some (not all) of these costume manufacturers is that they lift pictures from legit costume designers and directly copy their work.  Some even going as far as using the actual photos of the original work in their advertisements (including the pictures of our daughters wearing them at YAGP, etc.)  Happens all the time and to costumers I know (including one whose daughter was in the ad - lifted off of pinterest we think).

Off my soapbox..

heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #12 

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenc
I'll add my two cents here.  I believe Chinese made tutus are just fine if they are only going to be used for an occasional solo.  The main difference (I can't speak for the screen printing..I've never seen that) is the quality of the materials used.  The tutu net will not hold up more than a year or two and the embellishments are typically lower quality including acrylics that will lose their sparkle, fall off, etc.  They also typically have low quality lycra, etc. for the panty so if gets stretched out, it will stay that way.  That's all fine in the "you get what you pay for" experience.  My only real beef with some (not all) of these costume manufacturers is that they lift pictures from legit costume designers and directly copy their work.  Some even going as far as using the actual photos of the original work in their advertisements (including the pictures of our daughters wearing them at YAGP, etc.)  Happens all the time and to costumers I know (including one whose daughter was in the ad - lifted off of pinterest we think).

Off my soapbox..

I'll be interested to hear what others, who've had experience w/these sellers over a period of yrs, have to say in response to this.  But even if it were true across the board... I honestly don't understand how a limited lifespan would be a negative for most of us.  Given that most of these tutus are purchased for only a handful of wearings over a single season.  $1K for the highest of quality that will last forever (when I only need it for one season).... or $300 for a lesser quality that will look fabulous while I need it (but perhaps only stay beautiful in my closet for a couple of yrs after). Sure, if I buy the 1K one I won't have to buy a new one for yrs & yrs (assuming my dancer doesn't grow & it's appropriate for future variations).  But how is that any different than buying 3 of the less expensive ones (& now my dancer doesn't have to wear the same one every yr)?   Seems like a no brainer to me :-)

And as far as using others' photos as an example of what they can make for you?  As long as they aren't claiming to sell you 'that' particular item.  Most sellers, I think, make it clear that there could be some variation from the photo.  And it's not like they are claiming to be the original designer.  IDK... I don't see the harm.    

meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Do order now.  The factories shut down for Chinese new year and it always takes several weeks.
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
My daughter's first tutu from China is an often seen on the YAGP circuit Giselle/Peasant romantic dress. She's had it 3 years now and it looks just as good as it did on day one, even after I handwashed the stinky bits in the tub and hung to dry a couple of times. She's worn it about 2 dozen times over 3 years. No stretching, has several rows of hook and eye closures. It's much nicer than the "typical" costume book ballet dresses we've had in the past. I think we will hang on to it probably forever (it's easier to store than a plate tutu, lol!). It only cost about $130 shipped. She's only had the platter tutu for 1.5 years now, but it was worn by her a few times last year and then loaned to the sugar plum fairy for the nutcracker and worn about a dozen times. It still looks perfect and has also been spot hand washed/hung to dry. The other 2 are new so I can't attest to them yet.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatball77
Do order now.  The factories shut down for Chinese new year and it always takes several weeks.

Yes!  I ordered it yesterday!
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
My daughter's first platter tutu will be used for it's 4th YAGP this year with lots of rehearsals.  My daughter used it for two years and then we passed it on.  The one we bought this year and last year seem to be a little better quality (I think they've improved their designs over the years).

I think you have a couple choices when you're buying tutus and the choices aren't great.  Either you buy a tutu from china that was made using underpaid labor, you underpay a local to make your tutu or you pay a huge amount so that the tutu maker is compensated well.  Also if you buy a tutu from a local maker you don't know how the quality will be and many of the online websites are either fully or partially reselling tutus that they bought from china.

Tutus require a large amount of fabric and take a huge amount of time and skill to make.
Ecourtney

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #17 
We ordered a tutu for YAGP from Emtutu and it is gorgeous!!! I was so pleasantly surprised.  It fits perfectly too.  I am amazed at the quality, fit and cost.  It came in about 3 weeks.  I could have ordered the same one through AliExpress but decided to go straight to Emtutu to cut out any delay or miscommunication.

karenc

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #18 
I'm glad there have been positive experiences.  Everyone has to do what's best for their situation, for sure. 

joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
I will say this. . . a seamstress-made costume IS going to be absolutely gorgeous.  I've ordered a couple in the past.  But right now I just can't afford $600-$1200 for a costume.  We've ordered a couple from China and they are still very nice and suitable for YAGP.  Here is the Esmeralda costume she's wearing this year and I think it looks really nice.  They don't take awfully long to ship either.
Oct15_04x.jpg 

heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Update:  Seems  I'm soon to have an answer to my own question.  It's 8 days since I ordered and I just received an email that they shipped it today.  That was fast!  Crossing my fingers.

eta: and joriebelle... that is lovely!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.