Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Oceanwalker

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all,

Can anyone give me information on Elon's BFA program....where it ranks, program, what recent grads are doing?  I believe it is contemporary based.  Trying to get an idea if it really is a good dance program (non conservatory) and where it ranks in comparison to the most recent top 20 dance schools (Dance Magazine, other)?  Also, any info on University of Indiana Bloomington?

Thanks so much for any input.
dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Both have very strong, well known dance programs. We've toured Elon and were very impressed, one of the prettiest campuses you could ask for. The dance departments at both schools are very helpful and can provide specific answers to all your questions. My only experience with UIB is that DD was signed up for a summer intensive there, and at the very last minute ended up unable to go due to a health reason. It took one phone call, and they kindly refunded the full amount minus only the $25 application fee, we didn't even have to send them a Drs. note, I was very impressed with the customer service.
DanceTumbleCheerMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
DD's new Ballet teacher  is a recent graduate of Elon , receiving a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Dance Performance and Choreography as well as a Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science and Dance Science.  She is also an apprentice with Bodiography Contemporary Ballet in Pittsburgh this year.     DD is really excited to work with her.   
SortaReluctant1

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I just want to add that the Dance magazine ranking doesn't matter as much as you think. I don't even know how they gather their criteria. It's like finding a studio that is the right fit for your dancer. There are a lot of "bests" and the training and the effort each dancer puts in is what matters. As far as company work or jobs after college it's all in the audition. Sure, a prestigious school looks good on a resume, but it isn't everything. There are students who leave Juilliard because it's not the right place for them. My suggestion is to be mindful of what feels right rather than what you read on the lists.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: